cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I was putting my notes in order, I realized that I had enough material to start writing a new story, but then a question came to me.

If you had to choose between two games:
- One decently long with a solid but linear story.
- A shorter one but with choices and branches that allow replayability.

which one would you pick?

Although it'll help me with how I should write my game, it's also a general question about your preferred kind of game design.
I have less and less time to replay games and, unless they are really good or the routes are not too long, I usually play only once.
With the exception of Visual Novels, I finish them at 100% all the time.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would have to say:
- A shorter one but with choices and branches that allow replayability.
Or maybe even a shorther and more polished experience with variety. (That's what I am trying to do with Ulfar: Dreams)

UgyBoogie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I enjoy straight stories that are fleshed out much more. That's IF the story is good. It's okay if the story branches out every now and then, but mainly follows a straight line.
I usually don't come back to a game that I've already completed, even if it has multiple endings or something like that. Games are like interactive movies for me. Where I decide how the story goes. That's how I form my experience with the game. Playing it again and in a much different way, storywise, kinda ruins my own experience that I've made before.

I don't know if "Heavy Rain" rings any bells for you, but it was a game for the PS3 that actually was a playable movie. Aside from Quick Time Events and very small "looking around" sequences, there wasn't much to do. However, if you made some really bad decisions your protagonists could end up permanently dead. Every single one of them. It shaped the whole story and how much you get to know. The developer of that game said that he wanted the players to play the game only once. So everyone gets to experience his own story. I guess that's kinda were my mindset comes from. I don't replay games, so I'm clearly voting for a single storyline, that is well written.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Personally, I enjoy straight stories that are fleshed out much more. That's IF the story is good. It's okay if the story branches out every now and then, but mainly follows a straight line.
I usually don't come back to a game that I've already completed, even if it has multiple endings or something like that. Games are like interactive movies for me. Where I decide how the story goes. That's how I form my experience with the game. Playing it again and in a much different way, storywise, kinda ruins my own experience that I've made before.

I don't know if "Heavy Rain" rings any bells for you, but it was a game for the PS3 that actually was a playable movie. Aside from Quick Time Events and very small "looking around" sequences, there wasn't much to do. However, if you made some really bad decisions your protagonists could end up permanently dead. Every single one of them. It shaped the whole story and how much you get to know. The developer of that game said that he wanted the players to play the game only once. So everyone gets to experience his own story. I guess that's kinda were my mindset comes from. I don't replay games, so I'm clearly voting for a single storyline, that is well written.
@UgyBoogie I just loved Heavy Rain. Tried to get the platinum, but gave up because them 26 endings are just too much work to get. :D

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Short an varied but Im more a simulation/sandbox kind a guy over a "epic rpg" kind a guy so ofcourse I'd take that. not ta say I dont like long linear games just I like sandbox more like Rune factory.

Vassago

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's hard to say. In my opinion there are games which are born to be short. It's all about the storyline. Short games are for action and fast placed situations, the long ones are meant to engaging the player in an adventure he'll never forget.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One decently long with a solid but linear story

My game follows more of this approach but with exploration, this sounds more like FF 13 rather then say FF6, where the story is linear but theres room for exploration.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 28th September 2021

RMMV - Skip script errors:

For game developer testing purposes.
You know, I really get to farm likes since I post all of @Avery and @hiddenone 's blog tutorials on the forums...
Back from a very long hiatus with a new project woo
This is my battler placeholder image trying out art styles too I want to fake a backview battle system
I think I will want portraits and battle sprites to be 2D and stick to pixel art for overworld not 100%sure but pretty sure its easier to make pixel art for overworld sprites, events and maps and stuff.
Placeholder.png
$Syringer.png
toying with a brand new monster design

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam2244