Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Resource Type: Tileset

Maker Format: VX Ace

Art Style: Ace RTP

Description: So lately, I've been working on this little side project of mine in RPG Maker. I recently purchased the DS+ Resource Pack to add more variety to the game, and to make it look more original. For the RPG, I'm making 6 mini worlds. A Metropolis world, a Cyberpunk world, a Wild West world, a would filled with floating islands, and the world that's important here, a 90s world. The DS+ Pack doesn't really have resources for the Wild West or 90s worlds, but I have seen pretty cheap on the official Degica Store, but nothing for the 90s. To be specific, by 90s I mean the HIP AND RADICAL kind of 90s, with all the ling and what not. Think of it like the websites from the game Hypnospace Outlaw. Does anyone know where I could find some tilesets, free or not, that fit the 90s aesthetic?

EDIT:
The main thing about this RPG is that it takes place inside the internet, so I'd say I want this tileset to be in the style of a 90s cartoon with the wonky shape and color choices. As stated in the post, the main inspiration would be the game Hypnospace Outlaw, but if you want more examples, think of The Powerpuff Girls or Ed, Edd, and Eddy, but with a bit more vibrant colors.

As for what the tileset should contain, I want to make it an exterior small city with a factory in the middle of it, if that makes sense. I've included an image as to what I mean by small city, so I hope that helps.

Remember this is my 1st time posting here, so if you have any further questions about what I mean by "90s aesthetic", let me know.
example 1.jpgexample 2.pngBest-Small-City-Ogden-Utah-Featured.jpg

Reference Images: I'll leave some images here to specify even more what I mean by 90s, along with this video which pretty much encapsulates what I envision when I say 90s. View attachment 175635View attachment 175636View attachment 175637

(1st pic is from https://www.cuinsight.com/remember-the-90s.html, and 2nd pic is from Hypnospace.

Last edited:

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bump number 3

Sevarihk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Maybe clearing a few things up might get people more inclined to help. Are you looking for a tileset that lets you map a somewhat authentic 90s interior as in your last reference? or are you looking for tiles in the style of a 90s cartoon with the wonky shape and colour choices like in your first 3 references?

And also, what exactly should the tileset contain? exterior suburbian houses and streets? an interior school setting? A densely populated city?

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Maybe clearing a few things up might get people more inclined to help. Are you looking for a tileset that lets you map a somewhat authentic 90s interior as in your last reference? or are you looking for tiles in the style of a 90s cartoon with the wonky shape and colour choices like in your first 3 references?

And also, what exactly should the tileset contain? exterior suburbian houses and streets? an interior school setting? A densely populated city?
Right, should've specified more.

The main thing about this RPG is that it takes place inside the internet, so I'd say I want this tileset to be in the style of a 90s cartoon with the wonky shape and color choices.

As for what the tileset should contain, I want to make it an exterior small city with a factory in the middle of it, if that makes sense.

If I need to give more details, please let me know!

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

TheNewSon

Aspiring Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you're asking sounds way too specific... but when it comes to 90s-themed tilesets, the first thing that comes to my mind is Vexed Enigma's amazing POP! Horror series. I know you asked for RTP-like stuff, but since the POP! Horror artstyle is low-res (originally made in 16x16px, I believe) they're rather easy to edit and expand on your own or with a pixel artist's help. I'm not trying to advertise or promote anything, but I'm afraid you won't find much in RTP-style... and even if you do, it might be very limited. :/

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What you're asking sounds way too specific... but when it comes to 90s-themed tilesets, the first thing that comes to my mind is Vexed Enigma's amazing POP! Horror series. I know you asked for RTP-like stuff, but since the POP! Horror artstyle is low-res (originally made in 16x16px, I believe) they're rather easy to edit and expand on your own or with a pixel artist's help. I'm not trying to advertise or promote anything, but I'm afraid you won't find much in RTP-style... and even if you do, it might be very limited. :/
I see. That kinda sucks but what can you do lol. I figured there weren't any tilesets like the one I described, but I thought I'd ask anyway just to be safe. I'll probably keep bumping this thread just in case but I'll be sure to take a look at this POP Tileset. Thanks!

Sevarihk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I am not really sure if it is even possible to make it in Ace RTP style but at the same time make it look like 90s website graphics, because the styles are very different. The tiles in the Ace RTP (correct me, if I'm wrong, I don't use Ace very often) are digitally drawn and then scaled to size, so they have very smooth colour gradients. The 90s style web aesthetic at the other hand has a very rough pixel look with high contrast and very low colour count. So I am not even sure what a mix of the two would have to look like.

Why not drop the Ace RTP style and just look for tiles in that 90s retro look? If the charactes in your game get sucked into the 90s era internet, wouldn't it make sense, that the world in there looks stylistically different from other areas of your game?

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am not really sure if it is even possible to make it in Ace RTP style but at the same time make it look like 90s website graphics, because the styles are very different. The tiles in the Ace RTP (correct me, if I'm wrong, I don't use Ace very often) are digitally drawn and then scaled to size, so they have very smooth colour gradients. The 90s style web aesthetic at the other hand has a very rough pixel look with high contrast and very low colour count. So I am not even sure what a mix of the two would have to look like.

Why not drop the Ace RTP style and just look for tiles in that 90s retro look? If the charactes in your game get sucked into the 90s era internet, wouldn't it make sense, that the world in there looks stylistically different from other areas of your game?
True, I hadn't considered that actually. In that case, maybe the Old School Modern or Time Fantasy Futuristic tilesets would work better than the POP! Horror one, since those are more colorful. Would that work

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol
currently working on some template sprites and tweaking the walk cycle :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaskJack