Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are there any decent DVD player apps out there for Windows 10? Preferably free, but cheap is also an option...

Hubby needs something to play movies on his laptop. He's heard VLC Player is good, but he's not sure if the source was reputable.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

futrchamp

Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VLC works fine for me - and it's open source, so you can be fairly sure that there's no hidden code or anything. I use it mostly to play videos from my hard drives, but I've played DVDs using it in the past and had no issues whatsoever.

Puruiro

Artist and wannabe Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can confirm too, have been using VLC since forever and never gotten any issues.

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VLC Player is a good option, as it also plays video files that some other ones don't.
download.cnet.com is where I usually go to get virus free software, but make sure you hit the secure download button on the page under your program title and not the ads (which can sometimes have what looks like a download button). Also, when the install goes off, make sure you uncheck any bloatware it wants to install if it's included in the setup.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or media player classic is good too.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VLC Player is a good option, as it also plays video files that some other ones don't.
download.cnet.com is where I usually go to get virus free software, but make sure you hit the secure download button on the page under your program title and not the ads (which can sometimes have what looks like a download button). Also, when the install goes off, make sure you uncheck any bloatware it wants to install if it's included in the setup.

cnet has been caught serving malware in the not so distant past. I wouldn't trust that site at all. It's always best to get software from an official source.

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cnet has been caught serving malware in the not so distant past. I wouldn't trust that site at all. It's always best to get software from an official source.
Is this from the files you can download from the ads though, which I warned against clicking? I've never had a problem with them which is why I recommended them. It is good to get it from the official website but often times when you search for software, Google doesn't display the official website first. Her main concern was finding a reliable website, so I named one that has most software programs in one place, so she's not looking for the official websites for the programs she wants in future.
But yes, the best website is the official one if you're able to ensure it is in fact the official website. Just be careful that even the official websites can try to install bloatware on your computer.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this from the files you can download from the ads though, which I warned against clicking?

No, Cnet has themselves bundled garbage with their downloads.

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just looked into the claims behind cnet, it goes back to my original post.
Where the problem is, are when people click on the ads, which aren't google ads- they're often installers for some bloatware program. Also, in the install window, often you get asked if you want to do things like change your homepage to bing, install toolbars, add security software etc. which you really need to deselect before installing. This is what the malware claims were (from what's being pushed all over page one of google) but I consider this to be bloatware, and is what I was referring to when I cautioned her on what to do in the install.
This is kind of the kicker, even most official websites will include this in their installers which is why you need to be aware of it.
My point is not to defend stuff like that, but to educate on how to be safe so it's a non-issue.
I apologize for recommending something people seem to feel personally against.
@Llareian Hope you've found a solution :)

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SpunkyWunky
Husband downloaded VLC Player today, and it played a DVD, which is further than we've gotten with "GREAT FREE DVD PLAYER APP" claims in the past. We'll see how he likes it. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chilling out while toodling around someone's painstaking Minecraft recreation of Disneyland. It is mind-boggling and probably as close as I'll ever be to going.
>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soicaukubetim