Looking for a good pixel font for an NES-style game.

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Resource Type: Font
Maker Format: MZ
Art Style: 8-Bit, NES
Description:
So I bought the new 8-Bit official DLC pack, and it's been great so far, but I recently realized that there's a teeny little problem with it... the font that's packed in with the DLC pack doesn't have commas! I realized this when I was trying to make an opening text crawl for the game, and noticed that the commas looked very different from the other characters... and sure enough, the font is indeed missing commas, so it was reverting to a default font for the commas instead.

Here's some images I took of the game, using the font that came with the pack, called DotFont:

1660506192690.png

1660506208279.png

Honestly, the font looks great, and I wish I could keep it... but it's definitely gonna be a problem if it's missing punctuation marks! So... does anyone know of a good 8-bit, NES-styled pixel font I can use that's kinda similar to DotFont, that has all necessary letters, numbers, punctuation and symbols, and also allows for being included with a commercial game? For the record, I plan to make the game free, but allow donations, but that counts as commercial use, so yeah :p

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have the MV version of this pack and I assume that there's no difference in the font type. Haven't tested it yet and I'm glad that I didn't try and make anything with the 8-bit DLC before finding out about this.

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
VT323 (Peter Hull) is a decent pixel font I've used. Might be an okay replacement for that one. It's under Open Font License, and available via google fonts:

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
VT323 (Peter Hull) is a decent pixel font I've used. Might be an okay replacement for that one. It's under Open Font License, and available via google fonts:

Hmm... I dunno... I feel like I don't really like that font. It looks pixely sure, but it doesn't really look like an NES font to me. Any other suggestions?

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Okay guys, I did some research and I found a few possible fonts. Which one do you think looks best? Keep in mind I haven't adjusted the font sizes for a few things so some stuff will look a bit weird at the moment.

Font_CHNO.png

Font_PressStart2P.png

Font_PlayerSansMono.png
Font_PlayerSansMonoLight.png
I think they all look good in their own ways, but I'm not sure which one to choose...

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think the first and last is a little thin, I feel like PlayerSansMono8x8-Classic has the best overall look to me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Tried something. Little sneak peak of Unity AD.
M42S7Us.gif

It's the little things. Lengthened the time the bar fades in and out to be a bit more comfortable.
3 days until release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INKYLIKE