Looking for a Real-Time Battle Action Order / Initiative Gauge/ thing

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by Tsukihime, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd like to have a HUD that shows the player whether a battler is ready to perform an action or not, based on their position on a timeline/gauge thing.

See screenshot below for an example.

[​IMG]

The design I would like is for an active-time battle system, and I'm thinking of having small icons for each battler move along a continuous line.

I'm not sure what looks good, so I'll leave it up to you.

How it works is you have battlers that have a counter that fills up from 0 to 100.

Once the counter reaches 100, the battler will be able to perform an action.

When the action is performed, depending on what they do, their counter will decrease.

Each battler will appear on this big gauge.

An icon will be used to represent the battler. I will likely use some simply squares, but if you have a particular icon design that you think would go well with it, I can use those as well.

The position of the icon will be relative to their counter: if it's 0, they'll be on one end of the counter. If it's 100, they'll be on the other. And anything else will be somewhere in between based on a fraction.

In terms of specifications, I'll be working with a 816x624 game resolution, scaled up to 1080p. If your design is optimized for a different resolution (eg: 1280x720 or something) so that when it's scaled up it doesn't look as blurry, just let me know.

Multiple designs can be provided, as my plugin is designed to make it easy to swap graphics. It would also be interesting to see how a single plugin can be designed to handle various types of layouts so that users can customize it without too much coding work.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a simple one I made using a line and some squares with text

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
    hidrokobra and Chaos17 like this.
  2. byBibo

byBibo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Would that be ok? You'd have to create icons one by one for this to be used, or maybe is that possible to use the faces and the enemies pictures to put them directly into the mask?

Actor_1.png Actor_2.png Battler Cursor.png Mask2.png Face_1.png Face_2.png Mask.png

ATB_bar.png

ShadowHawkDragon and Tsukihime like this.
  3. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English

I like it. It's a good size for mobile games as well.

For the markers, I think artists should probably create all of the parts manually so that the images are optimized.

You might for example just create a sheet filled with the circular faces, along with a couple markers (maybe different colors or shapes), and then the plugin will take that and combine them together.

While it would be nice to just grab the face/enemy picture and let the computer deal with it, you'd still have to define which part of the picture should be used. It's faster to just edit them and put them on a sheet.

Here's how it looks in-game (randomly positioned somewhere)

4. byBibo

byBibo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Glad you like it ! :)

Yes, sheets would be a good idea! Color changes too, like for example to distinguish those two chickens!

5. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English

@nio kasgami had suggested using letters for the chickens, since that's how MV does it by default.

Any idea where the letter would be drawn..?

6. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    normally on the picture of the chicken :)  it's not have to be a super fancy letter you can just draw a bitmap and you use as base the superset of the Game_Troop for get the letters :)  

7. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Looking for another gauge, preferably vertical this time.

My battle system currently supports "waiting" and "preparing to act", so having those two sections on the gauge would be useful.

8. ShadowHawkDragon

ShadowHawkDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    How's this? It's a bit more sci-fi, but, hey, why not?

I thought of the idea that the bar could change colour/image based on whether an enemy or actor is nearest to the top, if you can't implement it that's fine.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I used the character icons byBibo provided as a base.

byBibo and Tsukihime like this.
  9. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I saw this and had to jump in, because Grandia's system is one of my favorites. Mine's horizontal because I missed the part where yo asked for verticals too, but I can make that too.

[​IMG]

Here's the link so that you can see the white bits, there's quite a few of them - http://i.imgur.com/cQWYeP1.png

ShadowHawkDragon and byBibo like this.
  10. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    These are nice layouts.

I'm thinking maybe there's a way to allow designers to easily provide their own graphics that they could distribute and have others download and install to their project.

Still not too sure how the specifications might look, but for the most part you would have

1. A marker sheet, which contains all of the different faces and so on, along with the marker frames and stuff.

2. A gauge sheet, which contains the gauges to use.

And then there would be a configuration file that you would use to tell the plugin how to use the images in-game.
    Here's one using the design from @BadMinotaur

Here's the one from @ShadowHawkDragon. The idea of having a different image depending on who is currently acting is an interesting one. It could potentially be added as an option in the configuration.

11. ShadowHawkDragon

ShadowHawkDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    looking good.

Saw a comment on your twitter about it being too big, so here's a shorter version.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also I've rotated the frames to put the pointy bits on the sides, don't know if this is better or worse.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tsukihime likes this.
  12. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    @ShadowHawkDragonHere's how it looks with the new assets:

I have devised a method for artists to build their own ATB gauges and package it with a config file for others to download and install into their projects.

Upon plugin released, I will be offering several different "skins" that people can choose from.

Right now, I assume that the markers will be statically generated, rather than composing them in-game.

Might need to build on that functionality some more.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    ShadowHawkDragon likes this.
  13. BadMinotaur

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  14. byBibo

byBibo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Here you are an Iconset with all the faces and some enemies :)  (+ room for you own characters). I guess that's how @Tsukihime thinks of it?  I like the idea that you can make a lot of ATB bars and Marks using one standard iconset ^^ (should make a square one to fit BadMinotaur's ATB system).

Black background for now, because i don't know how to make it transparent without having some floating pixels everywhere (as it works as a mask)

IconSet.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
    Tsukihime likes this.
  15. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English

We can go with this until the background is figured out.

Currently, I am thinking to have three sets of spritesheets

1. The gauge

2. Markers

3. Marker icons

You would specify which icon should be used for each actor or enemy, and then the game will grab the appropriate marker and marker icon, and generate a new marker that will be used in the battle.

This would be much faster than having to create a bunch of marker files separately (for the end-user anyways), as long as the spritesheets are prepared beforehand.

I'd just have to figure out the best way to reference a specific icon on the sheet. Maybe go with the (row, column) format that you've included on the sheet itself? 

So something like

<action order marker: 1, 1 />

Would indicate that the marker at row 1, column 1 will be used for whoever.

In the configuration file, users would specify the width and height of each cell, which assumes all icons must be the same size, but that should be alright.

16. byBibo

byBibo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French

That were exactly my thoughts when i made the number row and column :)

For the Markers, they would be variations of the same marker on the same sheet then (like BadMinotaur's 4 possible icons), because the size between different types of markers are different :/ (like you would need a sheet for BadMinotaur's markers, one for ShadowHawkDragon's, and one for mine).

17. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English

Currently, each design comes as its own package, which includes all of the images as well as a config file.

You would need to create a separate set a icons for each package.

Here's a picture of my assets folder. You can see that there are three separate folders, each with a particular name. In the plugin, you would choose which one you want to use, by entering the name of the folder.

So if someone decides to use your design, they would use your icons. If someone decides to use @BadMinotaur or @ShadowHawkDragon's they would have to get their own icon sheets (or have them added to the package).

I believe this approach is better in terms of presentation, because you would use assets that are optimized for the design.

My work as the programmer would be done at this point and everything is up to the dev to put together.

18. BadMinotaur

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not sure what scaling abilities we have easy access to in MV, but in my little side-project battle UI in VX Ace, I make a bitmap of the actors' portraits at the battle start and downsize them dynamically to fit into my party frames. Working this for enemies is a bit harder since you need to take a slice of their image, and it's hard to predict that. 

That said, Grandia II uses generic icons for enemies, dependent on the enemy's type (beast, bug, plant, etc.) so that's one option. 

19. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English

I would personally avoid doing any sort of scaling here (beyond the game scaling itself to fit the window its running in).

Just create some static images like how you've done it already for the sample icons, and then put them together in a specific format like byBibo's.

It's more work than just taking faces, but you have much more control over how you want the icons to look.

I will go with byBibo's format because it's the kind of spritesheet I'm thinking of, and the way he has designed the input format makes it easier for the end-user (rather than having to do things like calculate the index or whatever)

If you would like to try out the plugin and see how it is set up just let me know.

BadMinotaur likes this.
  20. BadMinotaur

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd love to see how the plugin is set up, especially so I can prepare the sprite sheet for the plugin.