looking for a tileset that looks more akin to SNES (or rpg maker 2k3)

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have created characters that look like they came out of an SNES so I want to find tilesets that look like they came from an SNES game too so they compliment well.

Just throw in a whole bunch of things i'm looking for both modern and fantasy

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
When you say "like SNES", are you talking about something along the lines of Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore or something else?

There is a mega pack that I highly enjoy using and am using in our current developing game. It can be found here:
https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-vxace-recommend/omega-modern-graphics-pack

They can be used for VX Ace or MV.
Is there an alternative to it for cheaper? For one thats a little *too much* (Though handy for someone lazy like me. But I can sprite a character though) and two that looks more like Earthbound

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Earthbound was an SNES game. That's why I was asking what era of SNES development or what game similarity you are looking for.
I do not know of many others that have cheaper or free tilesets that look like they come from the 90s era of gaming.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Why not just buy 2k3 and use its tilesets? It should be pretty cheap if you get it on sale.

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
[move]Resource Requests[/move]
Why not just buy 2k3 and use its tilesets? It should be pretty cheap if you get it on sale.
I do own 2k3 and some city based tileset for it (but that was 10+ years ago i have to find my old pc)

thing is when someone plays my game and sees RTP wouldn't people be weirded out? Its the same kinda reason I don't wanna use existing game assets either. I don't want people joking about how "this entire town" is just Ur from Final Fantasy III. I don't want that same joke happening with RTP

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly if you want a tileset that's never been seen before that will just not happen if you ask for a free one. Custom tilesets that are unique for a game cost $20,000 easily and no artist is going to put that much work into a game and get $0 out of it.

You'll probably have to just take some existing one and no matter what one it is, someone has seen it before somewhere (and that is true for about any DLC tileset too). As it is, you'll probably have to just buy a pack even if it is too much and grab what you can use from it.

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Honestly if you want a tileset that's never been seen before that will just not happen if you ask for a free one. Custom tilesets that are unique for a game cost $20,000 easily and no artist is going to put that much work into a game and get $0 out of it.

You'll probably have to just take some existing one and no matter what one it is, someone has seen it before somewhere (and that is true for about any DLC tileset too). As it is, you'll probably have to just buy a pack even if it is too much and grab what you can use from it.
Im fine with DLC tilesets. At least it's different from copying assets from Final Fantasy or Pokemon or the RTP itself. I did a quick search from Steam's DLC for MV and found a neat tileset called Timed Fantasy thats in my price range. as for city, I think Id have to dig up my old 2k3 game.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could also use the free Liberated Pixel Cup tileset

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmeeDucks