Looking for a Timing-Based battle system?

thunderpow10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't mean the Theatrhythm battle system, since it doesn't look like it's strategy-based enough.

I've been thinking about making a Marching Band RPG, and to fit the theme of music, I was considering making the battle system half timing and half strategy. You see, I want to make skills in the game usable, but in order for them to be successful, a small phrase of music needs to be played correctly, and that's where the timing comes in. A short phrase plays, and a display appears showing notes on a staff. Hitting the notes in time with the phrase causes the skill to work better than intended, while failing miserably makes the skill completely fail.

I know that this is very specific, but I've been trying to find something along the lines of this for a while now. Something kind-of like Mario & Luigi, where the skills they use need to be played correctly for the best possible damage, while normal attacks are just one-button timing attacks.

I don't know if anyone can make this possible, but if someone's able to find something even slightly like this, I'd be grateful.

TL;DR: Mario & Luigi with music skills and rhythm gameplay?

Lorinan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Moghunter did a THeatrythm engine (haven't actually tried using it), but it has about the closest thing I've seen to what you're wanting (btw, kudos on the marching band theme).  You'd probably be looking at some sort of common events type of scripting for each skill, but it could *feasibly* be done in that respect most likely.  I know the theatrythm system isn't what you're looking for, but you might want to download it and look into the coding on the backend to see how they handled the key entries.  Then see if you can replicate it as a script call maybe?

As someone who's also working on a music themed RPG, I have to say this is a great idea and I hope you can get it to work for you.  I personally am focusing more on the skills being focused around ensembles adding to the skills themselves, but that's another post.

PedroVGM

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Hey pal idk if I can help you but could you tell me more about the kind of music you are looking for?

thunderpow10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Moghunter did a THeatrythm engine (haven't actually tried using it), but it has about the closest thing I've seen to what you're wanting (btw, kudos on the marching band theme).  You'd probably be looking at some sort of common events type of scripting for each skill, but it could *feasibly* be done in that respect most likely.  I know the theatrythm system isn't what you're looking for, but you might want to download it and look into the coding on the backend to see how they handled the key entries.  Then see if you can replicate it as a script call maybe?

As someone who's also working on a music themed RPG, I have to say this is a great idea and I hope you can get it to work for you.  I personally am focusing more on the skills being focused around ensembles adding to the skills themselves, but that's another post.

I've seen how THeatrythm works, but it's not really what I think it should be. It seems easy to sync-up with music, but the way they spread out the buttons for the party members is weird. It gets confusing when it gets too fast. Tamfey's Timed Button Attacks is more of the vibe I've been aiming for, where you choose a skill before you play the phrase, however when I worked with the plugin it crashed every time I missed a single note, and that hasn't been updated in ages.

Hey pal idk if I can help you but could you tell me more about the kind of music you are looking for?

Oh, for the music, I've been thinking of something that sounds like it would come out of a High School Marching Band. There wouldn't be any strings, very percussive, like how a field show would sound. I could probably make it myself, tho I never really tried making my own music, and looking around on Google didn't find what I wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Lunar New Year is over :( but it's time to get back to work!
I keep giving myself deadlines because I'm so excited to finish something but I notice areas where I'm rushing the story and that's what's gonna weaken my overall project, gotta stop that
My new level features a Jellyfish character who cannot love, because he electrocutes everything he touches.
I prefer single roommates. After a hard day, all you want is sleep. I went to bed at 12. I was awakened at 2 because of my roommate laughing and whispering and stuff with her boyfriend on the phone. I didn't want to yell at her so I had to bear that cringy lovey dovey convo for half an hour, before I got so bored that I fell asleep again.
image i made on mon-die morning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojojovil