RMMZ Looking for an ATB - System for MZ

ASUG0

Annihilation Special Unit Generation 0
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm searching for a FREE ATB system for MZ. I'm aware of Visu Stella, but it costs money so... yeah...

thanks for reading xD

Here:

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Plug-In Quests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Sadly there are none that I know of so you'd need someone to make it for you, which will probably also cost $$$.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The standard Time Progress (Active) system that comes with MZ is an ATB system! Though admittedly, it's missing some of the features a lot of people would want from such a system.

I'm planning to make some plugins that give you finer control and extra features for the ATB, probably early next year. Some will be free, some will have a small purchase price.

Honestly, if the features that VisuStella is giving you are the features that you were hoping for from such a system, I would recommend springing for it and paying out the $10. Even if free ATB enhancements come along from other authors, they're going to work in different ways and provide different things than VS' system.

ASUG0

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
[MOVE]Plug-In Quests[/MOVE]

Sadly there are none that I know of so you'd need someone to make it for you, which will probably also cost $$$.
:LZSteary:

The standard Time Progress (Active) system that comes with MZ is an ATB system! Though admittedly, it's missing some of the features a lot of people would want from such a system.

I'm planning to make some plugins that give you finer control and extra features for the ATB, probably early next year. Some will be free, some will have a small purchase price.

Honestly, if the features that VisuStella is giving you are the features that you were hoping for from such a system, I would recommend springing for it and paying out the $10. Even if free ATB enhancements come along from other authors, they're going to work in different ways and provide different things than VS' system.
I'm just afraid it wont be compatible with the other stuff I've got. Since Visu Stella plugins are obscured compatibility patches are almost impossible to make. Thus I really want to avoid spending money on a plugin that may or may not work and possibly even disable the ability to add some future plugins that won't be compatible. So I guess I have to write one myself or wait.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm just afraid it wont be compatible with the other stuff I've got. Since Visu Stella plugins are obscured compatibility patches are almost impossible to make. Thus I really want to avoid spending money on a plugin that may or may not work and possibly even disable the ability to add some future plugins that won't be compatible. So I guess I have to write one myself or wait.
That's a very reasonable concern (especially when the VisuStella plugin in hidden behind a paywall) and it's why I personally don't recommend using the VS library in most cases, despite the obvious talent that the scripters on that team possess.

Unfortunately sometimes that's how it is with game making - it's very hard to find the perfect combo of free, flexible, and powerful.

Look out for the plugins I release over the next several months as I do plan to include some enhancements to the ATB that handle some of the functionality you were describing, but I don't think all of it will be covered entirely.

DarkFrost

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Given MZ is still really new, It may be a while before some plugins come out for ATB that fit your tastes. It's why I'm really hesitant to try and port stuff from MV to MZ, cause there's a lot of plugin migration/creation that still needs to be done.

This might simply be a case of being patient and just working around it for the time being. If I get held up on something, I tend to work on something else until I can come back to it.

ASUG0

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's a very reasonable concern (especially when the VisuStella plugin in hidden behind a paywall) and it's why I personally don't recommend using the VS library in most cases, despite the obvious talent that the scripters on that team possess.

Unfortunately sometimes that's how it is with game making - it's very hard to find the perfect combo of free, flexible, and powerful.

Look out for the plugins I release over the next several months as I do plan to include some enhancements to the ATB that handle some of the functionality you were describing, but I don't think all of it will be covered entirely.
:rtea:UwU, I'll be waiting for u

Given MZ is still really new, It may be a while before some plugins come out for ATB that fit your tastes. It's why I'm really hesitant to try and port stuff from MV to MZ, cause there's a lot of plugin migration/creation that still needs to be done.

This might simply be a case of being patient and just working around it for the time being. If I get held up on something, I tend to work on something else until I can come back to it.
Ur right! :LZSsmile:

ASUG0

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So... since I can't work on gameplay anymore...
What should I work on?

Like... My game is about clearing a dungeon with 100 floors. There is no story.
There are no maps to travel, but instead various random events on the floors.

Dungeons:
After entering a dungeon, the player has the choice of going forward or retreating.
Going forward will trigger an event (mostly battles, finding loot, hidden rooms, etc).
Sometimes there will be a choice to make, sometimes its just a simple battle.

After a certain amount of events, the player reaches the end of a floor where a Floor Guardian awaits the player. Slaying the Guarding will unlock the next floor.
Every 10 floors, there will be a Dungeon Guardian (fancy word for saying OP Boss) that must be defeated to proceed.

Retreating from a floor will not be penalised. After clearing or retreating all damage inflicted stays,
but can be treated for money at the camp. Retreating however resets the floor, which then has to be cleared again. Losing a battle will not result in a game over but instead reset your equipment and gold to default which is to say 0 (not a big deal, read next paragraph to understand why).

Arena:
Outside of dungeons you can fight in the arena for MONEY and also obtain skills for defeating foes.

Skills:
When starting a new game or losing a battle, you will be required to select a new weapon of which there are 6 in the game (Dagger, Sword, Axe, Spear, Bow, Wand). Your equipped weapon decides which "Arts" you can perform. Arts are basically your skills (There is no basic attack).
Spells work just like Arts, they must be equipped to your character (and yes all skills are lost after a game over).

There are 4 Spells Tiers (0, 1, 2, 3). You can only equip ONE spells per Tier (4 Spells in total).
The game offers 7 different elements each with their own unique spells.
Your character has 5 Art Tiers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and only ONE Art can be equipped per Art Tier.

Currently there are 3 different Arts for each Art Tier per EACH weapon (totalling to 3*5*6 = 90 Arts).
Each Spell Tier also offers 3 different Spells per Spell Tier per EACH element (3*4*7 = 84 Spells).
Then there are Class skills and "manoeuvres".

Manoeuvres are basically all skills that are not classified as Arts or Spells.

Also Skill don't get "outdated" because there are no "stronger" versions.

Classes:
Each Class has different stats as well as an unique class ability. Classes are categorised into 3 Tiers.
You start with one of the 3 starter classes (Soldier, Hunter, Caster) and can upgrade your class up to 2 times, reaching a Tier 3 Class. There will ALWAYS be 2 options for your class upgrades.
In total there are 3*(1+2+4)= 21 Classes in the game. The parent class will inherit the class ability of the class it evolved from!!!

Combat: Difficult!
"Why are we here? Just to suffer?"

Every action consumes stamina (ST) and resets your ATB bar by a certain amount. Once its full again, you can act. Certain actions require a casting time too. Should your ST fall below the cost of the selected skill while it charges, it will NOT be cancelled, but instead continue charging until completion.
Should you not have enough ST by that time, it will simply not trigger and you will have wasted time.
Most skills also damage ST so be wary of that.

The AI is good! Like... really good... like... I spent about 400 hours making it good... so... yeah...
Also... the enemies will have a class and selected skills meaning that their stats are about the same compared to that of the player (normal enemies have reduced HP and damage).

btw... no items in battle and almost no healing at all. NO OUT HEALING DAMAGE!!! NO BROKEN BS ****.

Equipment:
You have over 30 slots...
1.) Weapon
2.) Secondary Weapon
3.) Armour
4.) Accessory
5.) Enchantments
6.) Skills

Current Progress:
I already have a Prototype ready on RPG Maker VX Ace, but its not flashed out and the interface and
animations suck (balancing is gud though). ps. Don't expect much from a 14 year old boy.

I still have to port a lot of stuff over, but am almost done with the skills.

I have the option of working on:

-Interface: Creating an interface that looks good and compliments the game. Also easy to use!

-Animations: Make'em look sexy. Combat animations in a combat oriented game should look noice!

-Music: Not gonna make dis myself anymore... too exhausting...Just use some LEGALLY free stuff from now on.

-Battler Graphics: need to find some (can't draw well).

- Dungeons: Mainly random events, bosses, enemies, etc.

- Arena: Mainly enemies.

- Other stuff: Things I haven't figured out yet.

So... can anyone recommend me an aspect I should work on first... cause I'm pretty new to this game development stuff.

plus some advice/tips/anything/questions should any arise

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So... can anyone recommend me an aspect I should work on first... cause I'm pretty new to this game development stuff.

plus some advice/tips/anything/questions should any arise
Based on the "dungeon-crawler with strategic battles" bent of your game, the first thing that I would work on would probably be any universal combat mechanics you have (such as Stamina regen and usage). The second thing I would work on is the skills, and after that I would create a small subset of enemies and fill out any other core elements of combat (such as battler stats). Then, I would create three or so basic dungeon floors (and maybe a basic form of the equipment system with just a few items available for each slot, if you feel that will make the play experience much more rewarding) - at this point you have a viable "test run" model of how your gameplay will feel. You can learn a lot from that, adjust, and determine whether this is the game you really want to make.

If you do, then you will also have what I like to call your North Star - the knowledge of when and why the game is at its best, and the very core of the game that every other aspect should work to enhance (rather than distract from). That knowledge should guide you whenever you are unsure whether to add or change something. You can keep developing these systems (with things like equipping one Skill per tier, which isn't necessary in your test run, as well as things like music and animations which aren't necessary in the first test run either) to give the player the exact feeling you've established (through the test run) that you want to give them. You can build up more floors of the dungeon - by the way, to keep things interesting, you will probably want to get very creative with the different mechanics offered by each floor or set of floors. You can create a large bestiary of interesting enemies that encourage your player to get creative with her tools.

The Interface is something I would not worry about until very late in the development cycle (it requires finalizing your set of features and mechanics first; otherwise you'll have to go back later and do it over). The Arena is also something I would leave for the very end (because your game can work perfectly fine without it if you burn out or get short on time).

DarkFrost

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Making the jump from Ace to MV made me lose some really good scripts (Elnhard Encounter radar was really good), so have backup plans in case that happens.

Interface and animations do take a lot of work and time so I personally prefer to do that first whenever I try to add a new attack to the game.

You might be able to hunt around the internet for sprite makers, music, and so on for more aesthetics. sounds cliché, but "just googling it" truly is the best option for that, even if you were trying to find resources to do it yourself.

Events in dungeons seems doable as long as it doesn't include battle for now. Hard to test fights out w/o the entire system in place considering you'd have to do it again when everything for fight mechanics is there.

Only other thing I could suggest is looking up some guide videos. I haven't taken the time to see how to do plugins and scripting from scratch, but if there's something truly specific you want and can't find it or wait for someone to make it, you'd likely have to buckle down and create it yourself. Since I want the Elnhard Encounter Radar back, I'd probably be in the same boat and would have to learn scripting and plugins.

ASUG0

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While I don't know what exact ATB system features you're looking for, I wonder if some of mine will suit you:
DoubleX RMMZ Skill Item Cooldown(Has upcoming upgrades)
DoubleX RMMZ TPBS Configurations Edit(Has upcoming upgrades)
Thank you DoubleX, for these glorious plugins. I also used some of your VX Ace scripts btw. Good stuff.
You deserve a virtual hug for your scripts!

Once again thank you!

Edit: I currently need a plugin to change the way turns are handled, like e.g I want a turn to pass every 10 frames, will you be making a script that does that?

Based on the "dungeon-crawler with strategic battles" bent of your game, the first thing that I would work on would probably be any universal combat mechanics you have (such as Stamina regen and usage). The second thing I would work on is the skills, and after that I would create a small subset of enemies and fill out any other core elements of combat (such as battler stats). Then, I would create three or so basic dungeon floors (and maybe a basic form of the equipment system with just a few items available for each slot, if you feel that will make the play experience much more rewarding) - at this point you have a viable "test run" model of how your gameplay will feel. You can learn a lot from that, adjust, and determine whether this is the game you really want to make.

If you do, then you will also have what I like to call your North Star - the knowledge of when and why the game is at its best, and the very core of the game that every other aspect should work to enhance (rather than distract from). That knowledge should guide you whenever you are unsure whether to add or change something. You can keep developing these systems (with things like equipping one Skill per tier, which isn't necessary in your test run, as well as things like music and animations which aren't necessary in the first test run either) to give the player the exact feeling you've established (through the test run) that you want to give them. You can build up more floors of the dungeon - by the way, to keep things interesting, you will probably want to get very creative with the different mechanics offered by each floor or set of floors. You can create a large bestiary of interesting enemies that encourage your player to get creative with her tools.

The Interface is something I would not worry about until very late in the development cycle (it requires finalizing your set of features and mechanics first; otherwise you'll have to go back later and do it over). The Arena is also something I would leave for the very end (because your game can work perfectly fine without it if you burn out or get short on time).
Making the jump from Ace to MV made me lose some really good scripts (Elnhard Encounter radar was really good), so have backup plans in case that happens.

Interface and animations do take a lot of work and time so I personally prefer to do that first whenever I try to add a new attack to the game.

You might be able to hunt around the internet for sprite makers, music, and so on for more aesthetics. sounds cliché, but "just googling it" truly is the best option for that, even if you were trying to find resources to do it yourself.

Events in dungeons seems doable as long as it doesn't include battle for now. Hard to test fights out w/o the entire system in place considering you'd have to do it again when everything for fight mechanics is there.

Only other thing I could suggest is looking up some guide videos. I haven't taken the time to see how to do plugins and scripting from scratch, but if there's something truly specific you want and can't find it or wait for someone to make it, you'd likely have to buckle down and create it yourself. Since I want the Elnhard Encounter Radar back, I'd probably be in the same boat and would have to learn scripting and plugins.

I think I should make a threat about this game, right?

Also thank you very mucho for ur ideas and advice!

The new threat for game ideas can be found here UwU:

Last edited:

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Edit: I currently need a plugin to change the way turns are handled, like e.g I want a turn to pass every 10 frames, will you be making a script that does that?
It's in my to-do list, but frankly, I don't feel very energetic nor motivated when it comes to writing MZ plugins, so I'm afraid that I won't finish it anytime soon, even though I'll still try :)

ASUG0

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's in my to-do list, but frankly, I don't feel very energetic nor motivated when it comes to writing MZ plugins, so I'm afraid that I won't finish it anytime soon, even though I'll still try :)
Thank u:smile:

Lostboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Edit: Didn't see link to new thread for suggestions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Once again working on a game I'm not sure I'm going to sell or even publish
That feel when you're awake past midnight and suddenly you're one year older :ninja:
I miss collaborations, but I don't know how to find someone to make face parts just to share them with others, and even though I don't like writing or music, I can't trust anyone with writing on my game because it has themes that are easy to mess up, and music needs a clear tone and scenes.
People donating to me for my upcoming birthday so I can pay my team a little. Such angels, I'm so happy. T uT I smile so much my face hurts. Good souls in this world.
Playing Ragnarok Online again is very nostalgic. The last time I played it was 20 years ago, when I was ten-twelve old.
My first mmorpg.^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashstop