Not open for further replies.

TokoWH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been looking for this for a while now but haven't found any plugins relating to this for MV.

Basically, I'm looking for a simple 'rolling HP' system in the style of EarthBound. Where an actor takes damage but instead of instantly taking 'x' amount of damage, the actor's HP bar slowly rolls down to the HP value in relation to damage taken. If the actor takes fatal damage, they still have a chance to save themselves by using a healing item before their HP hits zero.

Video example:
EarthBound Wiki's article on it.

Additional details:

I don't know the exact details but I do know that how fast the HP scrolls is based on the users 'guts' stats, the game's equivalent to luck. If that can be incorporated that'd be nice. I wish I could provide more info on how this works but there's surprisingly little info on how the exact mechanics of HP rolling work in EarthBound/Mother 3...

I don't need actual odometer display. If it can work with RPG Maker MV's base HP bar display, that would be okay in my book.

As far as I could tell, MP/PP rolling is mostly aesthetic to keep style with the rolling HP. A neat little mechanic I thought of though was the ability to use a spell before the MP rolls past the cost of it. This doesn't need to be added to the plugin itself though if it's too complicated though. Just a neat little extra I thought of.

If anyone can help with this, it'd be appreciated. I've been looking for months for a plugin like this with no success.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could probably do this with the base RPG Maker engine by applying states. You could keep track of the HPs in a variable and then increment or decrement the character's actual HP on a set interval until that number is reached.

Edit: Sorry, I should ha e watched the video first. During a standard, turn-based battle, you might need a plug-in to handle this.

Last edited:

TokoWH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting. Do you have an example of this? I'm still really new-ish to RPG Maker in general, so sorry if this is actually really easy to figure out and I'm asking a dumb question. ^^;

Edit: Ah, okay.

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would work if you had the HP go down by a certain amount each round or if you had an action battle system where hits would take a couple seconds to fully reduce your HP and give you a chance to get a spell or item off before you die. In the default battle system, though, it would require a plug-in. It's possible, though. There is an update method that runs continuously which could be utilized for the HP countdown but there's probably there probably some other hurdles to overcome here to make this work.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is not too difficult actually. Not sure which plugins you use though, whether Yanfly's battle core or whatever. That is an important aspect in terms of editing how damage is being reported in message logs etc.
Have this in your damage formula:
Code:
if (b.constructor == Game_Actor) {$gameVariables.setValue (1, a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2); targ = b; $gameSwitches.setValue (1, true)}else{a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2}
Then have a troop event set like this.
Screenshot_410.png
ignore the switch name :D it's from my project.
In explanation: The damage formula will determine whether the target is a mob or an actor. If an actor, the damage value will be stored inside a variable instead of instantly printing and a switch will be turned on. Then this troop event will, if a switch is on, call itself, subtracting actor's hp while refreshing the status window to keep it animated. Note that damage done to actors will not be influenced through variation this way.

TokoWH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted one where the HP rolls down while you can still select commands in the menu. Like, if you take a fatal blow, you can quickly use a healing item and save yourself from death.

That said, thanks for the code anyway! I was actually looking for that kind of effect too for other projects that won't be using an EarthBound style HP system.

Edit: I'm also using Yanfly's core and battle engine plugins too, btw, as well as vector based character movement system plugin, though I'm not sure how important that last bit is tho.

Last edited:

TokoWH

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Poke.

So, I don't want to come off as annoying but the rules thread said it was okay to bump a topic after a certain amount of time so...

In anycase I found a video that has some more visual adds on how this kind of HP/MP rolling works.

Quality is kind of potato but it does show the mechanic off better because the characters have more health this time.

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've figured out how to do this! (it took a while to do it.)

used one of mog's plugins, it's combined with a few other battle system scripts, but you can get this with just the script that mog made. (and yes, the numbers do co down by increments of one.

if still looking let me know and i'll tell you how you do this.

Last edited:

flakeygm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've figured out how to do this! (it took a while to do it.)

used one of mog's plugins, it's combined with a few other battle system scripts, but you can get this with just the script that mog made. (and yes, the numbers do co down by increments of one.

if still looking let me know and i'll tell you how you do this.
Would you mind telling me? I`ve actually been looking for this a bit :)

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would you mind telling me? I`ve actually been looking for this a bit :)
you'll need this plugin: https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-battle-hud/

what i did was i made a few images to replace the ones that came with the demo for the script, i'll provide them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MUrS5v5r7NPR09s8_4X8sGL1-J1h5fFD

you'll need to download those and put them in your image folder. next, you'll need to edit the plugin's parameters to match this:

Hud X-axis -90
Hud Y-axis 480
Hud Slide 250
Vertical mode false
Command Auto Adjust false

(for what is being done i'd suggest only one to four max battle members)

Face visible false

Name Visible true
Name X-Axis 30
Name Y-Axis 0
Name Align 1

(this is the important part that'll make it look like earthbound HP thing)

HP Meter Visible false
HP Number Visible true
HP Number X-Axis 170
HP Number Y-Axis 40
MaxHP Number Visible false

MP Meter Visible false
MP Number Visible true
MP Number X-Axis 170
MP Number Y-Axis 70
MaxMP Number Visible false

TP Meter Visible false
TP Number Visible true
MaxTP Number Visible false

States Visible true
States X-Axis 65
States Y-axis 0

W Command X-Axis 20
W Command Y-Axis 420

Custom Position 1 350,444
Custom Position 2 200,444
Custom Position 4 500,444

this is what i did to make it look like this if it isn't what you need exactly you can change the parameters to better suit what you need to get done. this is what it will look like for you:

here's what the damage looks like (the whole undertale thingie on the phone thing won't show up for you, it's a different plugin):

Last edited:

breesk

voted "worst person" 18 times and counting
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
american
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's great and all, but isn't what was asked, and the solution Poryg proposed doesn't work at all. This problem still hasn't been solved

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's great and all, but isn't what was asked, and the solution Poryg proposed doesn't work at all. This problem still hasn't been solved
well, in order to get the actual effect of the health slowly draining after an attack with the ability to heal while it's doing so would most likely require a plugin, i only know how to get the visual effect of the system, but if you were able to get the plugin to do the health thing, you would have the entire system

breesk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
american
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well, in order to get the actual effect of the health slowly draining after an attack with the ability to heal while it's doing so would most likely require a plugin, i only know how to get the visual effect of the system, but if you were able to get the plugin to do the health thing, you would have the entire system
A plugin like this doesn't exist. That's the problem.

Also, there is a problem with the parameters you provided, I have no idea how to fix the fourth actor. It's sorta just shoved in there and I have no idea how to fix it haha :kaosigh:

I figured out how to fix it

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

breesk, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

For those who need a reference on how the Odometer (rolling HP/MP) works in RM format, there was a VXA script that emulated it:
http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=47693.0

So if that can be converted to RMMV JS then it might work.

Last edited:

breesk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
american
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, at least now we have Mod attention, maybe this will help a little.

But seriously, who can do this??? I doubt anybody is doing this already...

Camtheman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[dpost]breesk[/dpost]

For those who need a reference on how the Odometer (rolling HP/MP) works in RM format, there was a VXA script that emulated it:
http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=47693.0

So if that can be converted to RMMV JS then it might work.
How can you convert it to RPG Maker MV? My game uses this mechanic and I really need it. Also put an example of what you do or a video of what you do. Please?

breesk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
american
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We just need somebody who knows Ruby to rewrite it in Javascript, and apparently Javascript is easier than ruby so I have no idea why nobody is doing it

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's because coders make what they want to when they work for free. So if no one is making it, that means no coder wants to make it. Maybe they don't need it in their game. Or maybe they just don't want to. It's not like we got magic fairies that go around making plug-ins for everyone, instead it is up to those who want to make something when a request gets filled. When things are requested for free, it is done by whomever wants to do it, and many times that is, unfortunately, no one.

breesk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
american
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe we can get a Magic Butterfly...
badumtiss.

How much money would somebody ask for taking a script for VXA and turning it into Javascript.

or would that even work.

yes i realize different people want different amounts

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe we can get a Magic Butterfly...
badumtiss.

How much money would somebody ask for taking a script for VXA and turning it into Javascript.

or would that even work.

yes i realize different people want different amounts
i mean, it also requires someone to learn the engine so they can figure out how to get it to work, i've started to code for the engine and the most important part is figuring out how to make the engine do what you want using javascript. i suppose it wouldn't be too hard to base it off of what the script was but you also have to take into account that things could've changed since vx ace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:
EpicFILE wrote on Dr_Bonehead's profile.
Dr_Bonehead? You're in this forum too? :D
Take a listen to this beautiful 1975 supermarket music. :D

Somehow it makes me think that the actual real world is still at 1970s. What we experience now is just a futuristic dream. :)
Want to play sandbox games as long its not the online only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dispriva