Looking for an Opinion

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My girlfriend is an inspiring author whose been helping me flush out the story of the game I've been working on for some time. Well, she found out about something called National Novel Writing Month.

This is what she sent me:
National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.

She then went on to say:
"You know...if i'm doing that for a month, you could try completing a game in a month at the same time."

I'm still debating if I should rise up to such a challenge. It'll take a month away from my main project but at the same time it's a challenge from my girlfriend.

P.S.
There are no wagers being made regarding this. I gain nothing and lose nothing by trying to attempt this. I'm just not sure if I can do it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wasn't sure I could do a game in a month when the IGMC contest came around, but I attempted it and got it done. Granted, I had to get up an hour earlier every morning before work to pull it off, but it got done! Even if you don't finish, what you learn from it could be worth it alone.

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't have a job nor do I have school so all my time is primarily free time.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, then yes, it should be doable. I managed to do an entry in the month of June while working OT most of those weeks, so it is very doable. I'd say give it a try, what do you have to lose?

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I did both NaNoWriMo and also recently did the Game in a Month challenge too. Both were intensely satisfying and rewarding. I'd been meaning to write a blog update about that ;D

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I did both NaNoWriMo and also recently did the Game in a Month challenge too. Both were intensely satisfying and rewarding. I'd been meaning to write a blog update about that ;D
You are amazing :p .

But yeah, if you don't have the heart for a month deadline I wouldn't do it. I tried to do it myself, as I had real life issues get in the way which is the reason why I couldn't finish. It was stressful, but it was also fun. Good luck if you decide to do it though!

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I bave done NaNo for uite a few years it is fun doing it in a group- so I highly reccomend finding some folks so that ya'll can egg each other on and brainstorm when tou get stuck. Game builting from what I am recognizing seems to almost be more work than just writing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.
I think I still prefer RPG Maker over Dreams. Been playing around with it, and the controls are really the biggest flaw for me.
Watching Dragon Quest: Your Story on Netflix and already like 5 mins in we've passed over like 3 hours of gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sugukesu