GAN's Professor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone
Today I want to ask a harsh question that can be applied to general resources.
I am looking for a certain pixel art style for a top-down game (as it is obviously used in rpg maker apps). However, what i am looking for is a certain style that comes from an isometric view game, more precisely, Revelations Persona and Persona 2 games. However, i could find a rip of Tatsuya Suou (the main character) in the spriters resource website that i refrain to link in order to avoid problems as it is a rip from a commercial game.

In this particular rip i am talking about, adding the isometric "movable" character pieces, there are some of them than are more suitable for a top down game.

What i am asking for is if anyone knows a game i can "template from" in the same style as Revelations Persona sprites but not in isometric point of view.

Wecoc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Catalan
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You mean a low-res pixelart style like Nostalgic Tree and things like that, right?

That would be the second one on this Aluxes catalog, if I understood correctly.
aluxes-catalog.png

It looks like a pretty straight-forward style: Blocky, plain textures, shiny colors (often), and no outline at all. But bear in mind that last characteristic is more problematic than it seems, because it can make your sprites look flat and indistinguishable from the background, that's why the palette must be very well-thought.

Even though it may seem it in a first glance, make every region with a single color is not enough and you have to make it more 3D-like, so it's not as simple as it looks.

tutorial-6.png

I recommend you to look for pixelart references in general, not only screens from only one game, to understand better how to handle all that.
Here's one I like: Breath of Fire 7 demake

LyonBuster

GAN's Professor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yesss i totally mean something like these
They seem easy enough to me for doing via pixel-art apps like aseprite or pixel studio.
However, i look something "less detailed" and more importantly, a template for top-down characters.
Your breath-of-fire example is also isometric, cool and complex.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021 has been the runner-up for the worst year of my life. 2015 may take that title, but '21 is pushing it. Excuses really don't justify how much of a jerk I've been this year to a lot of people.

I'm sorry. I don't intend to be a jerk forever, but I'd rather back up my intent with actions, not words.
"Another hundred habaneros... a teaspoon of tumeric... and a heaping helping of nitroglycerin!" The kitten in a chef's hat laughed maniacally as the pot he was stirring promptly exploded.
Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.
does anyone feel like explaining to me the difference between simulation and emulation? you have my full permission to be as pedantic as you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidUchina