oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I just recently upgraded my game's resolution based on the pinned thread here. It looks good and I definitely prefer it, but it meant I had to go back through a bunch of scenes and fix things like image positioning and how text is displayed so it fits the window.

Fortunately I'm not too deep into the game yet so it hasn't been a huge nightmare going back and changing everything. But it isn't a small amount of work either and the effort would increase dramatically if I implemented this later on.

So, I wanted to find out if there are any plugins, settings or features that are generally agreed to be universally worthwhile so I can go ahead and see about implementing them now rather than putting them in later and having to go back and do a lot of fixes (and risk missing an event or scene and screwing something up).

This is a relatively traditional JRPG-style game and I've got access to the full Yanfly collection.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Here are some Basic things that i can think of on top of my head :

- A Custom Panel (Where you set the Volume, Window Style, Dash Settings etc)
- A Pause Option with a Custom Graphic
- A "Help" Screen (Which can just be a Graphic with few Icons and Text explaining Basic Controls / Mechanics / Objective of the Game)
- A Glossary (Which the Player can refer to for abbreviation on Terms, Status Effects etc)
- An Exit Option (There is none at the moment in the game)

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
- Install Yanfly's Sync Monitor FPS plugin for people with high-frame rate PCs, else those players will experience heavy lag.
- This is more of an obvious one that I'm pretty sure everyone is already doing, but having a custom title screen. MV's title screen maker is trash.
- Personally, I'd change the default sound effects, especially for menuing. Keeping the default cursor and decision se's just feels amateur to me.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I just recently upgraded my game's resolution based on the pinned thread here. It looks good and I definitely prefer it, but it meant I had to go back through a bunch of scenes and fix things like image positioning and how text is displayed so it fits the window.

Fortunately I'm not too deep into the game yet so it hasn't been a huge nightmare going back and changing everything. But it isn't a small amount of work either and the effort would increase dramatically if I implemented this later on.

So, I wanted to find out if there are any plugins, settings or features that are generally agreed to be universally worthwhile so I can go ahead and see about implementing them now rather than putting them in later and having to go back and do a lot of fixes (and risk missing an event or scene and screwing something up).

This is a relatively traditional JRPG-style game and I've got access to the full Yanfly collection.
Depends a lot on what kind of game you're making and what you're planning to do gameplay wise.

My suggestion: Use event templates, common events, and specific file name conventions to make your life easier.

The thing is: you will go back to stuff eventually. Some stuff will need to be adjusted, other things can cause trouble. This is especially true if you later add plugins that will change the way some functions work.
And unfortunately, you'll never be able to get it "right" with all plugins right off the bat. There's always readjusting you'll have to do.

Take something simple: You want to use a screentone effect to fade to black over 3 seconds (180 frames).
You could simply use the event commands but...if you have any screentone effects (e.g. day/night) than the screentone "fade in" over 3 seconds will ignore those and return to the standard daylight colors.

To circumvent this and ensure I can change a couple hundred commands later on for compatibility, I common event everything that'll be used frequently. That way, I only have to change the common event - not every time event affected.

The same's true for audio files. At some point, you might decide: hey, I can probably find a better sound. But if you're using, say, "Chime2" for countless events and in different circumstances, you'd have to manually change the events you need changed.
To circumvent this, I pick an audio file, duplicate it,and rename it to something like "_Action_StatIncrease". The underscore "_" makes them pop up first in the list, and since I've created a dedicated audio reference only for one kind of action, instead of editing countless events, I can just replace the audio file with the new audio file of identical name.

Finally, you can use Yanfly's event copier plugin. I usually have 1 prefab map and 1 template map. On these maps, I create a basic event for doors, windows, lights, monsters, etc. and then I create a copy-able event that uses the <Copy Event: mapid, eventid> notetag. If I populate a map with prefab items or monsters, I use the "copy event" event.
So if I want to change the way monster encounters work, or change the way windows function or how light bulbs work, I only need to change the original event to have all events changed.
Example of monster templates:
exampleview.png

It's unavoidable that, as your skills grow or the game gets new functions, existing stuff needs to be overhauled to prevent bugs or to optimize processes or improve things.
A systemized approach that draws heavily on single references instead of countless individual events not only makes editing them later quick and painless, it's also much easier to put them into the game. Just copy-paste the copy event from the prefab map and you're done.

Lastly, it helps using invisible item helper to make it easier for you, or your team, to see what events do what.
Example 1:
helper 2.png
Cutscene events have a special icon, as do trigger spots. I also use Audio or VFX icons:
helper1.png

These icons don't show up in game, since the first page is the only one with the icon and is only shown when the switch [Never] is on - and since I never activate never, they never show and the event straight away jumps to page 2.
helper 3.png

Those are some basic ways for a more structured approach that makes editing & changing stuff a lot easier for you and your possible team.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
- An Exit Option (There is none at the moment in the game)
This a 1000 times. I'll never understand why it doesn't come with the engine anymore. I guess it's not a problem if you want your game only to be played in window mode, but if you're hoping to have people play it full-screen this needs to be added.

charlottezxz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say optimise your assets. If you are using any of the default ones you can do this such as running them through a PNG optimiser, for example the default animation images are about 40mb- 50mb of space. If you know you aren't going to use certain sounds, music and images, remove them from the project early on as to avoid using them later - and if you remove them - subsequently crashing your game by calling for an asset that is no longer there.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just this one thing comes to mind really: Set the game dimensions to a widescreen aspect ratio. 4:3 doesn't cut it anymore and hasn't for nearly a decade. While the older engines are stuck in 4:3, MV is flexible so there's no real excuse.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, changing to widescreen is kind of what inspired this. I've only just finished ironing out all the text and pictures to match the the format (not to mention tweaking cutscene maps because of all the things that are now visible that weren't before).

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely be incorporating this.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Things that every game should do is OPTIMIZE YOUR ASSETS.
For starter, use tinypng (https://tinypng.com/) for graphics asset, but do keep a backup for the unoptimized asset.

Also, use a clone event plugins. It's very handy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thisistheyoshi