FREE Looking for creative/artistic dev team for project (Characters/Tilesets/Mapping/Animations/Story/Coding)

aleandrus24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello world!

I'm just a measly individual looking for assistance in developing custom assets for his project, title still in works! I've posted on other forums for the same project, but I eventually lost interest - life gets busy sometimes. But now, I'm back with full steam, looking for others who might be interested in making this pipedream a reality!

Engine

I will be using RPG Maker MV to develop this game.

Background
The game is a typical fantasy JRPG/RPG-style game, with the classic "exploration>town>dungeon>boss fight>repeat" game play. The entire game has a linear storyline, but with a slight twist.

Your decisions and actions throughout the game will have a permanent and lasting effect on future events in the game - deciding to kill an NPC might cause a party member to leave the party permanently, and a wrong decision here might cause the death of a friend later on down the road. Anything could happen!

The purpose is to give the game some sort of replay factor. With so many different options at your disposal, you have hundreds of ways to play the game, each with a different perspective.

About me
I'm an avid gamer and huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. I've always dabbled in creative writing since I was a kid, creating short stories/novellas. I'm a big fan of worldbuilding- creating a far-off fantasy location where the sky is the limit. I am not an artist and my knowledge of coding is extremely basic. I work full-time, so I work on the game in the evenings/on off days. I'm pretty friendly and generally very open to suggestions. I have a basic vision for how I see the finished product, I just need help to get it there! That being said, I am in no hurry to finish this game. It is a passion project of mine and I would like to see it done nicely, and I realize that I lack the skillset necessary to look the way I'd like it done.

What I'm looking for
-Art lead (1-2 potential)
Somebody comfortable with creating custom sprites/character portraits/enemies/tilesets/animations/icons for the game; assistance with mapping areas would be helpful but not required (more than one person welcome to help)!
-Coding lead
Somebody able to develop custom UIs, to code/simplify events in game, ensure smooth gameplay, and assisting in organizing/updating the database as necessary.
-Scriptwriter
Somebody willing to assist with developing the storyline, sidequests, and various other plot elements (e.g. dialogue). Need help making things interesting and developing characters that the player is able to connect with (and might feel a certain way if certain ones leave/get killed off/etc.).
-Music lead*
Somebody willing to create atmospheric pieces that enhances the mood and storytelling elements of the game.
-Voice Actors*
Somebody able to record dialogue for characters during cutscenes and battle animations. Previous experience not required.
-Playtesters*
Individuals interested in trying out segments of the game as they're released and willing to provide feedback and suggestions.

*These will be brought on later in the development stage. I'd like to see a large portion of the game completed before releasing demos and adding voiceover. Music might be one of the last parts added to the game, as I'd like to see the the music match the environment.

Current status

The current version of the game is about 1-3 hours of gameplay, with very basic mapping using the default RTP. At the moment, there is one large city, one small city, and two dungeon-like areas with bosses, and two explorable areas to connect major locations. There are four playable party members including the main character, two of which are optional, and one guest character serving as a major plot-piece. My main goal right now is to focus on the storytelling aspect of the game, and then reel in the art and coding sides to help visualize it.

Highlights (not exhaustive, and not yet complete)
1. Looking to implement a CTB system paired with skill points and joint attack/skill options, similar to Chrono Cross' stamina point system (in the works)
2. At least 17 party members, many of whom are recruitable and/or only available if certain conditions are met during gameplay, each with their own unique "ultimate attack" learned through optional quests.
3. At least 9 classes with unique skills, benefits and drawbacks (including Rogue, Shadow Knight, Alchemist, Bard, Mage, Sage, Brawler, and Paladin), potential to add more.
4. Engaging lore! In order to draw players into the world, an intensive mythos will be created and used as a backdrop for the plot elements of the game. Much of the information learned is not required to advance the story, but just there to enhance the storytelling aspect.
5. Challenging(?) puzzles! What kind of JRPG would it be without puzzles to be solved?
6. Affinity system! Certain actions will affect characters' interactions with the main character and how they react at certain points in the game. Affinity will also play a large role for joint attacks/skills.
7. Much, much more!
How do I apply?
People interested in helping in the development are able to respond to this thread, and I will reach out to you privately with more information.

Screenshots
Map.png

Preliminary Map of Crydia (World Map)

Intro.png

Intro scene, where the choice you make here will influence events for the rest of the game

Map1.png

First explorable town

Optional.png

Optional, recuitable party members

Dungeon.png

Basic dungeon

Puzzle.png

Sample Puzzle (Ice Floor)

Boss Fight.png

Sample Boss Battle

Attachments

The_switchify

I make games and things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
are you ok with more unique art styles?

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could maybe be an art guy, music guy, script guy, and playtester, but I'm also working on my own game, so I might not be able to do it full-time.. :rswt

aleandrus24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
are you ok with more unique art styles?
Hi there!

Yes! I'm definitely interested in unique styles, but I think I don't want to go too far out left field, if you get what I mean. Haha

I could maybe be an art guy, music guy, script guy, and playtester, but I'm also working on my own game, so I might not be able to do it full-time.. :rswt
Hi! It's totally ok, I'm not expecting anybody to be 100% only invested in this project, because I've got a life too! Like I said, it's definitely more of a passion project and even if a finished product never comes out, I would be fine with that too.

I'll message you both shortly and maybe send you a discord link.

Last edited:

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! It's totally ok, I'm not expecting anybody to be 100% only invested in this project, because I've got a life too! Like I said, it's definitely more of a passion project and even if a finished product never comes out, I would be fine with that too.

I'll message you both shortly and maybe send you a discord link.
Ok, thanks! Although, I don't have a Discord! I use my dad's occasionally to talk with my cousin, but that's it! Sorry!:kaoblush:

aleandrus24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, thanks! Although, I don't have a Discord! I use my dad's occasionally to talk with my cousin, but that's it! Sorry!:kaoblush:
No problem! Sent you a PM

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, if you need a russian/slavic sounding villain with a deep voice, slip in that discord link.
As for the writing, I have a published fantasy book and don't write for others, but if you need advice on darker themes, our bleak and selfish human nature, psychological terror of your npc etc I'll give you a hand.

aleandrus24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zliryu

Hi hi!

Yeah! The more help the merrier. I might be able to make use of a Slavic villain later on down the line, but I'd be happy to shoot you the link anyhow.

ObsidianTrance

Pensword, the Old Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can lend a hand in assisting you with your writing. I'd help with art, though I doubt in all those positions and have enough time to do it for free. How much time do you have to work on this?

aleandrus24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can lend a hand in assisting you with your writing. I'd help with art, though I doubt in all those positions and have enough time to do it for free. How much time do you have to work on this?
Hi there! So it's still a WIP. At this point I've probably gotten a third of the main story down with about 2-5 hours of gameplay (depending on how quickly players want to go through it). I'm working on it basically everyday in my down time, and have much, much more to do.

As far as writing goes, I'm more or less interested in somebody who would be able to come up with unique side quests for the game and help implementing them in the game itself.

Let me know if you're still interested! I'll send you an invite to the discord.

ObsidianTrance

Pensword, the Old Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Side quests sounds easy enough. Just drop me a link, good ser.

HighTyrol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can do mapping, If black and white character busts fits your style I can do that as well. I am fairly new at JavaScript stuff but I am actively trying to learn more. I also have a 3 gigabyte folder full of sound effects that I can mangle and merge together to make you custom sound effects. Although, I don't have the time to make music. And any of my music comes out terrible anyway. I can also scripting, and play-testing. I might be able to do voice acting. Although, I don't know if I will be able to get a good audio set-up. I have a bit of stage theater experience. 15 plays worth so I am still an amateur.
Although, if you are planning on making it a commercial game. I will only help if you promise that at least 10% of the games proceeds after game expenses to will go to a charity of your choice. In don't really have anyway to really check so you could always just lie and I probably wouldn't know. But hopefully your own conscience would stop you. I have one of my own games to work on so I would only be able to help you part time.

Here is the most likely things I would be able to contribute in order: Play-testing > Sound effects > Mapping > Voice Acting > Scripting > black and white character art > Coding > Music

Do you own VX Ace as well? If you do I have some edited versions of some of the songs from that RTP which you might be able to use if you own VX Ace. But even if you don't I can still send you some of the sound effects I got off of free-sound with a CC0 license. And If you want to mess with the tempo or pitch of any of the music tracks you have I can modify them fairly flexibly. For example if you want to take a piece of battle music and slow it down to use as an area theme without messing with the pitch. Then speed it up when you get in a battle. Or if you want to take a non-battle track and speed it up a ton to use as battle music for things in that area. Or if you want to make a more dramatic version of an existing piece of battle music. Then I add more base element while simultaneously upping the tempo. I mainly use Audacity and I am pretty good at modifying existing music to get what I want.

aleandrus24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can do mapping, If black and white character busts fits your style I can do that as well. I am fairly new at JavaScript stuff but I am actively trying to learn more. I also have a 3 gigabyte folder full of sound effects that I can mangle and merge together to make you custom sound effects. Although, I don't have the time to make music. And any of my music comes out terrible anyway. I can also scripting, and play-testing. I might be able to do voice acting. Although, I don't know if I will be able to get a good audio set-up. I have a bit of stage theater experience. 15 plays worth so I am still an amateur.
Although, if you are planning on making it a commercial game. I will only help if you promise that at least 10% of the games proceeds after game expenses to will go to a charity of your choice. In don't really have anyway to really check so you could always just lie and I probably wouldn't know. But hopefully your own conscience would stop you. I have one of my own games to work on so I would only be able to help you part time.

Here is the most likely things I would be able to contribute in order: Play-testing > Sound effects > Mapping > Voice Acting > Scripting > black and white character art > Coding > Music

Do you own VX Ace as well? If you do I have some edited versions of some of the songs from that RTP which you might be able to use if you own VX Ace. But even if you don't I can still send you some of the sound effects I got off of free-sound with a CC0 license. And If you want to mess with the tempo or pitch of any of the music tracks you have I can modify them fairly flexibly. For example if you want to take a piece of battle music and slow it down to use as an area theme without messing with the pitch. Then speed it up when you get in a battle. Or if you want to take a non-battle track and speed it up a ton to use as battle music for things in that area. Or if you want to make a more dramatic version of an existing piece of battle music. Then I add more base element while simultaneously upping the tempo. I mainly use Audacity and I am pretty good at modifying existing music to get what I want.
Hi there!!!!

Mapping and sound effects are always needed! Custom music and voice acting will literally be the very last on my list of things to do. Right now, I'm just looking for help to actually get the main story done, fill in side quests, and then throw in the glitz and glam at the end.

I do own VX Ace, in fact I started the game in that before MV came out, but haven't messed with it in years. I'll shoot you the discord link too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Realizing my earlier maps are an abomination against all things, I'm doing a bit of a remake. Tell me if you can see the difference. :LZSwink:

And the horrific before pics...

Last part of OcRam Obfuscator sneek peaks!
YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradzackyle