Looking for Encryption programs or tools

SteelFanged

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I'm looking for an Encryption program to use for my RPG Maker MV game so as to encrypt my game data. All the youtube tutorials I've seen recommend not using the default encryption that comes with MV, but I'm in a little over my head and I'm not sure where to start looking for free programs that are easy and safe to use.
I was wondering if someone could give me suggestions and/or point me in the right direction to start looking things up.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where to start looking for free programs that are easy and safe to use.
that is because there are no such programs.

every encryptin can be broken through enough effort.
it requires a lot of work to stay partially ahead of the decryption race to even get a protection that only lasts a few weeks, and the companies that try to do that of course want to be paid for that work.

so basically you'll get what you pay for, with the free encryptions being thse that are trivial to break (like the included default protection).

the reason why the default protection is there is not to protect the resources themselves, but to make sure you can take down any site that hosts those protected resources by proving that the files have been illegally obtained.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It may be a bit older, but for RMMV there is the possibility to use enigma virtual box. It offers at least some kind of protection, so you might want to check it out. And in addition it has the nice feature that it reduces the amount of indiviudal files and folders.
Here's a link to a short introduction on how to use it for MV: Guide for Enigma
Downside: I believe it only works for Windows, but I am not 100% sure as I only work on Windows.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
enigma virtual box doesn't have enought protection as with a few clicks,
you can unbox it.

[CookTools] by AceOfAces are a bit harder, as revert it require the same version
you have.

but while nothing is 100% uncrackable, there isn't really much you can do.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It may be a bit older, but for RMMV there is the possibility to use enigma virtual box. It offers at least some kind of protection, so you might want to check it out. And in addition it has the nice feature that it reduces the amount of indiviudal files and folders.
Here's a link to a short introduction on how to use it for MV: Guide for Enigma
Downside: I believe it only works for Windows, but I am not 100% sure as I only work on Windows.
You can use Enigma Virtual Box with any version--it doesn't have to be MV. However, like ShadowDragon said, it doesn't actually add any protection. It's just as easy to unpack something that is packed with Enigma VB as it is to undo RPG Maker's default encryption, so anyone who is capable of doing the latter is probably also capable of doing the former.

And since virtualizing the files comes with a performance cost, I personally wouldn't bother. No sense in raising the minimum system requirements of your game if you aren't actually getting any additional protection from it, because then the only people it actually impacts are the legitimate players of your game.

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I'm looking for an Encryption program to use for my RPG Maker MV game so as to encrypt my game data. All the youtube tutorials I've seen recommend not using the default encryption that comes with MV, but I'm in a little over my head and I'm not sure where to start looking for free programs that are easy and safe to use.
I was wondering if someone could give me suggestions and/or point me in the right direction to start looking things up.
Like Andar said, there aren't any particularly effective options that are free. The best thing you can do for free would be something like Poryg's encryption plugin. However, that's only going to make it so that random people can no longer use a pre-existing tool to decrypt your game with the click of a button. However, anyone who knows a bit of JavaScript could still figure out how to decrypt your game pretty easily. So if your game winds up popular, you could probably still expect the decrypted version to circulate around the internet.

Last edited:

SteelFanged

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is because there are no such programs.

every encryptin can be broken through enough effort.
it requires a lot of work to stay partially ahead of the decryption race to even get a protection that only lasts a few weeks, and the companies that try to do that of course want to be paid for that work.

so basically you'll get what you pay for, with the free encryptions being thse that are trivial to break (like the included default protection).

the reason why the default protection is there is not to protect the resources themselves, but to make sure you can take down any site that hosts those protected resources by proving that the files have been illegally obtained.
I see. But there must be some sort of software that can be used to at least make unencrypting a pain in the butt? even if it's paid for? I just want to cover my bases so I don't get sued.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see. But there must be some sort of software that can be used to at least make unencrypting a pain in the butt? even if it's paid for? I just want to cover my bases so I don't get sued.
...How could you possibly get sued because someone else hacked your game?

SteelFanged

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...How could you possibly get sued because someone else hacked your game?
...I have no idea. As I mentioned above, I'm in slightly over my head and I don't really know how this stuff works. I just want to make games, maybe make a little spending cash and without getting in any form of trouble.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you!
You're welcome.

...I have no idea. As I mentioned above, I'm in slightly over my head and I don't really know how this stuff works. I just want to make games, maybe make a little spending cash and without getting in any form of trouble.
Unless you're doing something illegal, there's no reason why you should get in any form of trouble. The EULAs for various DLCs do often indicate that you are required to encrypt the assets before distributing your game, but the default RPG Maker encryption is sufficient to meet that requirement. It would be silly if the encryption that is provided by RPG Maker wasn't acceptable for usage with official RPG Maker assets.

You generally only need stronger protection if you want to assuage your own personal concerns. For example, if the thought of somebody managing to rip assets out of your game causes you to lose sleep at night, then it might be worth it to spend a couple hundred dollars on some decent protection. Or if you plan to implement some type of licensing system, or your game will be multiplayer, or it will have in-app purchases or something like that, then you might want to protect it better in order to try to prevent people from cracking your game and/or cheating.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Keep in mind that you may limit the number players who can play your game.
Consider the price of potentially loosing out on players versus the perceived benefits of the encryption/protection system.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...I have no idea. As I mentioned above, I'm in slightly over my head and I don't really know how this stuff works.
Fair enough. I'd consider it in the realm of basic knowledge of the legal system that you can only (legitimately) get sued for doing something wrong (as Arthran said). :wink:

Technically, anyone can try to file suit against you for any grievance they wish to write down, but you generally can't suffer negative consequences if it can't be proven you did something illegal, and then there are court penalties for someone filing a frivolous suit.

Anyway, good luck with your project!

SteelFanged

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're welcome.

Unless you're doing something illegal, there's no reason why you should get in any form of trouble. The EULAs for various DLCs do often indicate that you are required to encrypt the assets before distributing your game, but the default RPG Maker encryption is sufficient to meet that requirement. It would be silly if the encryption that is provided by RPG Maker wasn't acceptable for usage with official RPG Maker assets.

You generally only need stronger protection if you want to assuage your own personal concerns. For example, if the thought of somebody managing to rip assets out of your game causes you to lose sleep at night, then it might be worth it to spend a couple hundred dollars on some decent protection. Or if you plan to implement some type of licensing system, or your game will be multiplayer, or it will have in-app purchases or something like that, then you might want to protect it better in order to try to prevent people from cracking your game and/or cheating.
Thank you! you and, ATT_Turan have done a lot to clear up any fears and hesitation I had. I feel a lot better now, and can properly focus on my game.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Upgrading from VX Ace to MV has gone from a cute suggestion to outright required.

Things can only go up from here - I kinda hated being constrained to 640x480 resolution. :LZSwink:
Now that I have linklists on large trees and cars, is there any theme that would interest you?
Debugging multiplayer issues... I'm having fun, right?
yay_streaming.jpg

For just starting streaming on the 10th... Definitely not the worst. :LZScheeze:

Granted I need 333.34 hours a month on average to achieve money. So I don't really expect that, but it sure has helped my game dev go much faster.
Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dicehhw