RMMV Looking for feedback concerning old-school-ish city management strategy game

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Firstly, I've decided to put my main game project on hold for now (getting a bit burned out TBH).

So I am planning to start work on another idea I've been kicking around for several months. The game concept is a city-builder/city-manager/strategy type of game. I'd say my inspiration comes from playing strategy games like Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Genghis Khan, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Ogre Battle.

What I'd like to do is have a town under the players control. You would be able to manage the elements by walking around the town and interacting with buildings and NPCs that control certain growth aspects. After thinking on this for a while, I decided my idea was similar to the city building that you do in Ni No Kuni 2: there are plots of land where you can open up new buildings/shops and then upgrade those locations based on progress and meeting other requirements.

I would like to give the player control of city resource management such as: food, trading goods to make money, training and outfitting troops, building up city defenses against both natural disaster and enemy invasion, and diplomacy with other city-states. My plan is to give the player some direct control over these areas, while also letting the player delegate an officer to manage some of the more long-term aspects.

There will be a tactical battle system.

I am primarily looking for feedback on what elements people like or dislike about these types of strategy games. I'm a huge fan of these games but there are some parts that bug me and seem tedious at times, so I would appreciate some outside perspective.

Feel free to recommend any thoughts of implementation of any particular elements that you like as well. This game idea is still very much in the planning phase at this time. About the only thing I've decided on for sure is the battle system and the art style.

Thank you.

edit: I added some links to the strategy games I mentioned in case anyone did not recognize them and wanted to check out some info on them.

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
imagine this tutorial scenario:
-"Here you are! These are your land plots. Try building some homes."
-"Good. Here come our settlers!"
-"Oh no! A house caught on fire! Appoint a Town Watch to prevent fires!"
-"Hunger is making people unhappy. Try adding another food type to your diet."
-"Oh no! A citizen has turned to crime. Luckily, your Town Watch will catch them. Build a Jail to keep them under watch!"
-"Your city is growing! You should build a place for your elders to gather up and discuss important matters. Try building a City Hall."
-"Good! Your City Hall will help you manage your city. From here, you can develop new buildings, such as Schools, Trade Ports, and Workshops. Try building a School, to improve your education!"

etc etc.
that's a mixture of the tutorial from Caesar 3 and Stronghold 2.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Managerial games aren't really my cup of tea at all, but Imma mention one game that I played, like, a million years ago and enjoyed. It also had fun things that I like in managerial games (in the few that I have played). It's King of Dragon Pass.

What made it fun was that, in addition to managing your clan and your village, every once in a while something random happened that required your attention. Like, maybe your scouts discovered a clan of intelligent ducks nearby and you had to decide what to do: attack them, be friends with them, etc. Or maybe some random stranger came to your clan and told she'd raised a kid in a shield, and the kid was fated to become a great warrior. Then you could choose whether or not to adopt the kid.

The catch - and what was so great to me - was that your decisions might come back to you much later. Like, maybe you attacked the ducks and stole their stuff. Then, much later, the ducks come back on warpath and raid you instead! Or, the kid does grow up to be a great warrior and joins your village council. Stuff like that.

Soo... yeah. It was like, it wasn't just managing stuff. There were storytelling things, like "memorable moments" that made your clan feel alive. Stuff you couldn't predict, but you had to react to anyway.

No idea if you can use that, but that's my two cents anyway! :biggrin:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@gstv87 Yeah some of the PC city builders can be pretty intimidating to me. I am more a fan of the older versions of the games I listed in the OP because they were a bit simpler. For instance, I'd rather play Civilization than Europa Universalis. I don't plan on my own game getting so detailed as to have an education system or different types of foods.

@alice_gristle I have not heard of that game before, but I like the idea of seemingly small quests having a larger impact on the story. I think it's important for any game that implements a system of side quests to make sure those side quests are meaningful to the game and not just time fillers. I like the idea of a side quest that adds to the story and character development.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just a heads-up that Slip into Ruby and Jump into Javascript might be a bit slow for now while I'm on the team porting the YEP plugins to VisuStella's MZ suite.
So I managed to build a teleport skill. You can see the progression in the development topic
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/in-dev-multi-hit-target-selection.125049/

Here's how it looks:

But the real question is, can I pull off FF8?

I love these little slime battlers. Really wish I could find more animated ones :'(
The curse of retail: you get ideas, you want to make something with those ideas, but because you're always at friggin' work you can't actually do anything with them.
Quexp wrote on lumimae's profile.
Welcome! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dealdeg