RMMV Looking for feedback on battle system ideas...

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by kamuipsyus, Jul 4, 2018.

1. kamuipsyus

kamuipsyus Professional Murder Hobo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I had previously posted this in Game Mechanics but have been told it belongs here. So I am restarting the discussion here with a link back to the original post.
    The original post can be found here.
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...back-on-battle-system-idea.96988/#post-877444

The basic premise is to have states that are affected and changed by elements or other states. Example: casting a water spell that applies the 'soaked' condition on the enemy. Then hitting the affected enemy with a lightning spell that consumes the 'soaked' state to deal double damage and apply the stun condition. Otherwise the lightning spell would not stun and just deal damage as normal.

I am open to any and all criticism and welcome all recommendations.

2. Muffel

Muffel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's a good idea to further enhance those states mechanics with elemental attacks.
    But why is soaked (water, right?) + fire = -agi + burn? Shouldn't it be more like soaked + fire = half dmg?
    I don't think that every element combination should be positive.

When I think about -agi, I always think about some earth debuff. So soaked + earth = slowed down (something with mud = -agi)?
    Do you think about different element strengths/powers? Fire1,2,3 (Fire, Firaga and stuff like Final Fantasy)?
    It can pretty much get out of hand quickly and I don't think you could remember everything if you just once read it in a tutorial (although elemental strengths/weaknesses are kind of common sense, right?)... and if you want to write it in the skill description, a plugin like this is absolutely needed I think.

So yea... just go for it and let's see what you can make with your idea! hf & gl

3. kamuipsyus

kamuipsyus Professional Murder Hobo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply @Muffel !
    Those were just a few examples in the other post but logically thinking, yes I would probably do that fire and air would just remove the soaked buff and maybe do less damage. I was thinking at the time that when you apply heat to water it evaporates and causes steam and if you have ever been burned by steam, your skin tightens and it is hard to move.

For my current project, I was not going down the route of having stronger attacks, (e.g. Firaga) but was instead using a damage formula that allowed your spells to level with you, that is do more damage the higher level you got, so as not to make them obsolete.

I do agree that this kind of system can get out of hand quickly and as such have had to roll back on the number of states I wanted in the game that would be affected by others. I had originally started that my special states could be affected by every element (8) in the game in a particular manner but found that even I was having a hard time keeping track of what could do what. Since then I have lowered it down to where each special state can only be affected by 2-4 elements total and so far the results are promising and not nearly as confusing.

TheOddFellow and Muffel like this.