Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Resource Type: Battleback

Maker Format: Any

Art Style: Non-realistic? lol I'm not sure how to describe it. Compatible with RPG Maker sprites for example.

Description: I have a grid battle system, but the grid tiles are based on a flat 2D grid and doesn't take into consideration perspective angle (that most RPG Maker battle backs are designed by default). Here's an example of what I mean:

1596399368815.png

The grid doesn't match the "shape" of the background and doesn't look good in screenshots/videos.

I tried using a map screenshot as a picture instead which is more of a flat grid

1596399472267.png

And while it doesn't look as nice as the bridge battleback, I think it's more compatible with the flat grid.

So now I'm looking for some background images to use in my screenshots and videos.
Just something nice that would look good with the flat nature of the grid.

Any scenery is good, preferably with some open space "ground" to walk on. Grassland, dungeon, bridge, cave, futuristic, etc.

You can also include some details like walls or rocks that should be "impassable", since I'll be adding passage settings as well to make certain tiles "unselectable" for movement.

For more details, the tiles are 64x64 pixels because the actor sprites are 64x64. The padding between tiles will be removed, so you can treat the entire canvas as a 64x64 grid.

Thanks in advance.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
check out inkarnate. They have a new 'battleback' mapping system (premium feature) that imo would be ideal for your use case. Its what I use for my hexmaps.

Granted: I suck at mapping. but someone with skill could really make something awesome I think.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
QQ截图20200803045703.png
I have seen a similar grid, it looks like it’s on the ground

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
check out inkarnate. They have a new 'battleback' mapping system (premium feature) that imo would be ideal for your use case. Its what I use for my hexmaps.

Granted: I suck at mapping. but someone with skill could really make something awesome I think.
I tried out inkarnate.

It's quite nice. Seems perfect for map design. If anyone else wants to try it out.
Free demo and it's like $5 a month or $25 a year to access hundreds of assets.

I made something quick to see how it looks in-game and it loads quite nicely. Of course my mapping design is terrible lol...maybe someone can make provide a better looking map.

1596405571525.png

View attachment 153821
I have seen a similar grid, it looks like it’s on the ground
A common feedback I've gotten so far is the grid doesn't really match the ground. For example it might look better if the sprites were standing in the center of each tile

stickyka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, Tsukihime, big fan of your work! Thanks for all you do!

I'm not sure how the ToS would affect it, but you could use map pack scans from things like Gamemastery map packs for DnD/Pathfinder/etc. I happen to have some scans I was using for roll20, but I'm willing to bet at the least, ToS would be against uploading them.

Regardless, the concept should be all the same. There should be some free stuff, or generator tools out there (similar to inkarnate). I'll try to find something or you can message me if you get stuck.

EDIT: Maybe something like this Free D&D Battle Maps ?

EDIT EDIT: Though, I suppose those are more for specific battle terrains :\ which wouldn't make much visual sense unless you could restrict grids based on the battleback...

Last edited:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey, Tsukihime, big fan of your work! Thanks for all you do!

I'm not sure how the ToS would affect it, but you could use map pack scans from things like Gamemastery map packs for DnD/Pathfinder/etc. I happen to have some scans I was using for roll20, but I'm willing to bet at the least, ToS would be against uploading them.

Regardless, the concept should be all the same. There should be some free stuff, or generator tools out there (similar to inkarnate). I'll try to find something or you can message me if you get stuck.

EDIT: Maybe something like this Free D&D Battle Maps ?
Thanks for the link to the battle maps. I'll take a look and see if there's something I like.

EDIT: I took a look and it feels quite...I dunno how to put it, rough? Maybe it's the D&D art style.

EDIT EDIT: Though, I suppose those are more for specific battle terrains :\ which wouldn't make much visual sense unless you could restrict grids based on the battleback...
Eventually the grid will support passage settings so if you have a battle system that allows you to move across the map, you could set up your battle map so that it uses a specific picture for the background, and then set up the passage settings for each tile.

On the other hand, MV and MZ map tiles are 48x48, so we could use 48x48 battle grid as well, and then you could literally just take a snapshot of the current map position and use it as your battle background (passage settings will be loaded from the map)

Last edited:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
On the other hand, MV and MZ map tiles are 48x48, so we could use 48x48 battle grid as well, and then you could literally just take a snapshot of the current map position and use it as your battle background (passage settings will be loaded from the map)
That would make for some very interesting battles!! would also add an element of puzzle as well (depending on how the map was structured and enemies placed)

stickyka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just had a thought from watching someone's project. Make a map. Screenshot it or export it. Then use it as a battleback! You'd have a ton of control over how it looks and it should work perfectly with your grid!

EDIT: I just noticed you already said the exact same thing. Well, sort of.
But I mean, create a map specifically for the battle using a similar looking area to the map you're on, but just fancy it up. Like a small corridor would turn into a ~5tile wide corridor, add maybe some passageways on the top end, add other decor. Basically paint a nice looking battleback using the mapping tools. You could even get foreground stuff in there. And then resize it for 64x64 tiles for if you're using the 64x64 sideview battler sprites.

Last edited:

ChatS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you still need a map for this and or if you still need a SV pig battler, I can create exclusive ones for you in exchange for letting me use some of your plugins commercially (Yup, I know you already state on your website that it's fine using them commercially, but I prefer getting the okay from you directly!). Just PM me if that interests you so you can provide me with all the necessary details, especially for when they are needed!

hayahay

The Lazy One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Alien Language
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!

himecastle.png

hime-bridge1.pnghime-bridge2.png

All I did was edit the existing Battlebacks not sure if this will work, just tell me if you need adjustments.
himebridge_preview.PNG

Last edited:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
cool!

I made the bridge planks vertical and made it 64px wide each to fit the request better, I just don't know the exact position of the cells since your screenshot is smaller than the original file.
View attachment 154944
Now that's a fancy bridge.

Grid can be moved around based on the picture so it's no problem. All of my examples are 64x64 grids starting at the top left corner of the screen, and then I just offset the grids by multiples of 64 as needed.

I wonder if there are techniques that would allow the bridge to be scaled up or down depending on grid size, while retaining its quality.

1597374756062.png

hayahay

The Lazy One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Alien Language
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now that's a fancy bridge.

Grid can be moved around based on the picture so it's no problem. All of my examples are 64x64 grids starting at the top left corner of the screen, and then I just offset the grids by multiples of 64 as needed.

I wonder if there are techniques that would allow the bridge to be scaled up or down depending on grid size, while retaining its quality.
Its easy to scale down things but unfortunately there is no way to scale up while retaining its quality.
You might have to retouch things when scaling them up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello I buyed RPG Maker VX Ace a long ago and I want to use it again but in the meantime I changed my pc but I lost the paper with my product key on so I can't use RPG maker again... someone can help me please ? or there is no hopes ?:'( ( I have a bad english I'm sorry )
I was away this days here in the forum but it was for a good cause!
The trailer of the demo of Luke Inn is on youtube and I am so happy!
I need to see the bugs of the game but I am happy that I have new content to show!

The last part of the modern interior will be ready soon. This will be a B-tile. With interior items for the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and storage room.
This frantic shooting ARPG plugin for MZ looks really great. Here is the link to a post from the official Japanese RPG Maker forum.
We start in 5 minutes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tp0000