Looking for Free / Cheap Music Creation Software

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Zertryx, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Zertryx

Zertryx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I was wondering what some of you use to create music for your game.

I like programs like Fruity loops (but it is too expensive for me to get the full version) but i am willing to spend a few dollars on something similar or if there is anything that is free to use that also works for some of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  2. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    FL Studio, as you said, is good. But you have to pay to be able to load saved files. It's actually one of the cheapest DAWs around, so I wouldn't go past it in terms of quality. I've heard things about REAPER as a free choice, but honestly, put the investment in and it will pay dividends.

3. Jonnie91

Jonnie91 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well it depends on what your musical skills are, if you want something like fruity loops because of the "loops" than you could go for something called Music Maker. It's a relatively good piece of music production software, and contains some relatively decent instruments, and doesn't require you to know to much either. Its priced from around 

£59.99 for the basic software to £159.99 if you want a midi keyboard to go with it! :) It's good enough to get you started. 

If you already have access to some free VST instruments and you just want the software, than you can use Reaper. which is as powerful as you want it to be really! It's certainly good for hobbyists! Very much so! :) That is around $60 for a personal/small business licence, they also have a free 30 day trial with no restrictions, so you can see whether it suits you. 

If you wanna take it more seriously, than I would consider Sonar X3, can be a bit temperamental on occasions, but it's still a very very good piece of software.  

If you are looking for free stuff, than LMMS is a pretty good piece of software, than you can find TONS of free instruments and soundfonts such as here, here and here. To start a few :D

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) likes this.
  4. Zertryx

Zertryx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanx for the suggestions and the list to some free VST's I don't really want to spend a whole lot because i dont feel i will be using / creating music on an advanced level to bother putting too much money into.

However i did happen to come across a program called Stagelight http://us.openlabs.com/2013/index.php/products/stagelight which seems to be only $10 and looks kinda simple to use. idk if its any good or if anyone else has used this program,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014