Looking for freeware for making tilesets for RPG Maker XP

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by goldenhawk, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenhawk

goldenhawk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if anyone here could point me in the correct direction to get a professional tileset creation tool for free so I can make tilesets for my game in RPG Maker XP and for other people here that would be great and I would even give away tilesets people ask to be created for them for free to show my thanks for helping me find a great tool.

2. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As far as a tool to 'create' them, you don't need anything crazy complex. Paint.Net or Gimp could get the job done very easily. For clarification though -
    do you mean you wish to 'create' them by digitally drawing them yourself,
    or do you mean something else? Like using existing resources to arrange into a tileset?

The second one would generate a LOT of questions on this end

3. goldenhawk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I mean drawing each tile one at a time individually and then exporting all the tiles as a sheet

4. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gotcha, well then Gimp or Paint.Net are great free places to start (and honestly finish)
    They both support all of the 'basic' drawing tools you'd expect from an image editing program, and they have a lot to offer for free.
    Gimp is more feature-heavy and is closer to a Photoshop experience, where Paint.Net looks and feels more like a suped up MS Paint.

Personally, I use Paint.Net for everything, its much faster (in my experience) than Gimp, and when editing tilesets you're gonna probably have
    multiple images open at a time, so the speed and ease of flipping around is the draw for me.

Look em both up

5. goldenhawk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just one problem Gimp is free but when you search paint.net on the windows 10 store it’s not free and it’s going to cost money.

6. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Shouldn't be costing money
    https://www.getpaint.net/

I have it on Windows 10, it's always been free. Check the link above, I've never paid for Paint.Net and I've always downloaded it from this site, first on google for me

7. goldenhawk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh okay well on the windows 10 store last I checked it costs $8

8. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Krita is also a nice software, its a better than gimp and has features Photoshop doesn't have and its free.

to make tiles seperatly, you can either make a canvas as the tileset needed for XP or create 16x16 (i believe) to make them on.
    else the canvas with visual grid so you have a alot of 16x16 squares to work on, as well its nice if its a bit bigger.

there are some other tools i know, but they are paid, gimp and paintnet are also good choices, i dont know paint.net,
    but i dont like gimp :)

9. Sevarihk

Sevarihk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I would recommend checking out pyxel edit. While it's not so great for animations, it has a few very useful features for making tiles, like a tilesheet where you can deposit tiles to paste on your canvas if you want to change them. You can basically map your map on the canvas using multiple layers and then just drawing on a single tile and all identical (or linked) tiles are updated in real time. There is a free version of it, but I am not sure which features that one is missing...

10. goldenhawk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Solved now can a Moderator please close this thread?

11. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.