Looking for good quality, free progam for composing game music, similar to bandcamp's beat sequencer

marbeltoast

Your future fish emporer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys!

I need music for my game, but like the drummer from those phineas and ferb memes on youtube, I ain't got rythym. I can't play to the pace of a metronome with my clumsy meat hands, either in the real flesh world or on something like bandcamp.

However, bandcamp's beat sequencer does exactly what I want! It lets me decide when the instruments will play without having to play them myself! Now if only it let me use that marvelous software to sequence EVERY instrument in the song, and not just the beat...

So, composers, what free software woud allow me to go hogwild with instruments and sound editing, so that I can surpass the flimsy hands I've been cursed with and make beautiful, horrifying audio abominations?

Thanks for any recommendations, and have a good day!

UPDATE: I've found one, called "OpenMPT". Looks complicated, but it seems for all the world as though this might be what I'm looking for. Anybody with more knowledge of such matters know any reason why this might not be a good pick? I ask so that I don't end up sinking time into a poor fit.

Last edited:

IFCATS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am no expert, but Korg Gadget on the Nintendo Switch is very good and easy to use. The only downside (huge some people would say) is that is very limited when it comes to exporting, so I had to record it through an audio cable on the pc. But the pro is that is very easy to use and comes with lots of sounds. I would definitely recommend it for a beginner. It's not free though but not too expensive either.
Anyway I'll follow this thread cause I am interested

Taylor123

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Free and quality at the same time are an issue. REAPER is the DAW I use myself and it has a WINRAR free trial, in that you can still use it after the trial period ends. The problem with reaper is that it doesn't come with any built in instruments, so you will have to search for them. Spitfire does have their free LABs series when it comes to instruments.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
LMMS is free and open source. Has a bit of a learning curve, but can definitely deliver.

Fleas

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Psycle is another option. Super old tracker but one or two tutorial vids and you should be able to put together some beats quickly. It comes with a bunch of preinstalled instruments and can also handle VSTs. Exports to wav.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Twitter is making me embarrassed to be a Persona 5 fan rn
I don't wanna be called out when I say P5R is my favorite game :kaoswt2:
And my first batch of gobbo battlers is up *yay* (images should show now as they first didnt - Just my luck lol)
I've released the game I've been working on for the past 7 years, and wrote a postmortem detailing the struggles of developing a game alone. Check it out! https://meiri.itch.io/apple-pie/devlog/160774/apple-pie-a-postmortem
Petty boss is working today. Hope he realizes today that messing with me is gonna ruin his day like yesterday. I can operate very comfortably on the fringes of policy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ba_hq