HankB

Actual size
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: (tl;dr: I'm stress-testing RMMV, so what are some commonly used functions/event commands that seem to use a lot of resources and slow things down?)

I'm getting ready to upgrade my MV installation with a newer version of nw.js (as per this post). But before I do, I'd really like to do a "before and after" comparison, based on FPS rates, so I can get a somewhat accurate and measurable indication of how much the upgrade actually helped. A lot of people report that the upgrade helped a lot (like a lot lot), but I'd like some actual numbers.

The general idea is that I create a map that gradual becomes more and more of a resource hog. As that is happening, I constantly check the framerate, and whenever it drops below 30, I record a log of exactly at what point that happened and then start over again. I do this 100 times and then average the results together.

Here's what I have so far: I'm using Galv's Event Spawner to gradually spawn in events into a blank map. The event that is spawned in is just a dragon that flies around randomly, but it's a parallel process that is also doing some math and checking a conditional branch, like:

Control Variable : #1 = Random 1..2000
If variable #1 > 1000
else
end

and it just does this over and over. Obviously, as each new event is spawned in, it becomes a heavier load on the game. Whenever enough dragons are spawned in that it causes the FPS to drop below 30, the player is transferred to another map, which logs the number of events that were spawned in, and then transfers the player back to the testing map. This happens 100 times, and then you are given an average of how many events were spawned in per cycle.

Currently, for me, I'm averaging about 170 events spawned in before my frame rate drops below 30. Of course, it will be different for different computers, which is kind of the point. I want to create a test that others can use before they upgrade so that they can see how much of a difference it makes on their own systems.

I feel like this method would probably give users a pretty good idea of how much of a performance increase they are getting after the upgrade, but the problem is that it's completely based on the number of visible, active events that are on the map at once. And, yes, those events are moving around, and doing some math and conditional checks, but I don't think that those things are very intensive.

What are some other, more greedy event commands I should check? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Syberduh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Displaying/moving/scaling pictures?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you ever end up doing those comparison tests?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making games is the only thing I'm good at. Real talk.
So, uh... where's the RPG Maker MZ update with the MV animation system? Is there a release date confirmed?
Also I'm kind of brave enough to admit this. I... I have a crush on Sephiroth.
Please don't call me anything offensive. I'm naturally crazy.
thanks to a lot of lunatic coding... my game finally has a stun mechanic that I feel really good about. damage enemy's mental psyche (mp), and once empty, hitting with certain attacks trigger combos that can stack the damage.
Waiting for the 1.40 update before testing out my copy of MZ so that I don't end up adding unnecessary work to my plate. Meanwhile the current fourth draft for my story is taking shape, and I'm fleshing out the lore as I realize how things would make better sense here and there for the world that I'm building.
Sword_of_Dusk wrote on BCj's profile.
Just found out about your complications. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wish I could do something substantial for you, but our distance from each other makes that an impossibility. Still, if you ever need to talk or vent, I'm here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
42ndPotato