JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey ya'll. I'm designing a series of "stress tests" in order to get an idea of how different plugins, options, scenarios, etc. affect framerate. Basically I procedurally spawn events onto a map, and then check to see at what point the framerate drops below 30, and then record that info so you can later do comparisons.

So naturally what I'm looking for are things that are hard on your framerate. Currently I have events that run a parallel process that sets a variable to a random number, and then runs a conditional branch to evaluate that variable. I always thought conditional arguments were on the expensive side, but apparently not (at least for javascript). I also have events that run an animation on themselves at random intervals, and that most definitely eats up CPU.

So my question: what else about this game is a CPU killer? What kind of commands should these events be running? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There can be lag spikes on low-end pc's that even can freeze the game to the point of crashing when you load sound files especially BGM (the larger the file the more the lag.), also having the pc load large pictures can cause lag.
But once the files load the game returns to 30 or more fps.
One thing to note is that pre-loading plugins can cause less fps if you pre-load a large amount of files or pre-load large files.

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cootadude
Alright, this is good to know. I wasn't even aware of "preloading" plugins, definitely a good thing to test. I guess commands that only run once when you enter a new map are not a big deal in most cases, but now that you've pointed out the thing with loading large BGM files, I definitely want to play with that.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cootadude
Alright, this is good to know. I wasn't even aware of "preloading" plugins, definitely a good thing to test. I guess commands that only run once when you enter a new map are not a big deal in most cases, but now that you've pointed out the thing with loading large BGM files, I definitely want to play with that.
No problem, I'll let you know when I find something new.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Going to start a new project today. OMG, it will be on RPGMaker MV. :D
Paid material WIP~
EysZO9cVEAEWy9W

This is Alchemy pack.
I decided to add more witch elements.

Now we have wooden props, candles, pots, and potion bottles.
We also want to add herbs, kettles, fireplaces, etc.
First posts! Maybe I can use this update?
Using MV here: can i move blocks around in the event page and i'm just too stupid to do it or does it only look like you should be able to do it and i would always need to cut and paste?
Aba, aba chgb rtb fhz.
Ubp rfg hahz qr snohyvf srpv, cbfg bzarf.
Rtb vhfghf ibyb hg ivtvyb ubp hahz rk yhqb.
Qbarp fvathyvf yhqvb yhqvhf cbgrfg, aba zntvf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TolomeoSolano