JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey ya'll. I'm designing a series of "stress tests" in order to get an idea of how different plugins, options, scenarios, etc. affect framerate. Basically I procedurally spawn events onto a map, and then check to see at what point the framerate drops below 30, and then record that info so you can later do comparisons.

So naturally what I'm looking for are things that are hard on your framerate. Currently I have events that run a parallel process that sets a variable to a random number, and then runs a conditional branch to evaluate that variable. I always thought conditional arguments were on the expensive side, but apparently not (at least for javascript). I also have events that run an animation on themselves at random intervals, and that most definitely eats up CPU.

So my question: what else about this game is a CPU killer? What kind of commands should these events be running? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There can be lag spikes on low-end pc's that even can freeze the game to the point of crashing when you load sound files especially BGM (the larger the file the more the lag.), also having the pc load large pictures can cause lag.
But once the files load the game returns to 30 or more fps.
One thing to note is that pre-loading plugins can cause less fps if you pre-load a large amount of files or pre-load large files.

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cootadude
Alright, this is good to know. I wasn't even aware of "preloading" plugins, definitely a good thing to test. I guess commands that only run once when you enter a new map are not a big deal in most cases, but now that you've pointed out the thing with loading large BGM files, I definitely want to play with that.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cootadude
Alright, this is good to know. I wasn't even aware of "preloading" plugins, definitely a good thing to test. I guess commands that only run once when you enter a new map are not a big deal in most cases, but now that you've pointed out the thing with loading large BGM files, I definitely want to play with that.
No problem, I'll let you know when I find something new.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

oddly enough, at this point... 3 major things have kept me from porting my project to MZ... animations, and that's mainly because they don't match the artstyle of my game. and two... I NEED a YED Sideview Battler like plugin and I have yet to see one. 3rd, I don't have the money for all the stuff I need plugin wise. and I already have it on MV... lol
Generally speaking, would there be interest in some form of tutorial regarding general project management? I see there are a lot of indie/self-taught devs around here, and looking back i feel like there was a lack of resources on how to properly manage a project that might take several years to finish
I've been working on some ABS team A.I. for 'A New Suburbia', and thought I'd share.

I'm generally quite please although the AI is a little grenade heavy right now :rolleyes: - Sneaking and stalking next! Please excuse the terrible map... it was just for ease of viewing!
Voting for the second round of the Map Madness Tournament is now live! Vote for your favorite in each matchup! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/map-madness-2021-polls.187/
Just bought the Visustella All Waves bundle... Time to go IN!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
speedylmao