Yokozach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello,

I am a college student in his 2nd year; I am studying computer science to become a game developer.

Recently, I have decided to make a game with my own story for portfolio purposes, but although it'll be for my portfolio, I plan on making this a full-fledged RPG game(this is my first project by the way).

The problem, though, is I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to make the story flow. I already know how it'll begin and end, but I'm not sure about in-between.

who I’m looking for: I’m looking for people who have written a story script for a game before. What I’d like for you to do is proof read the script, help me write the dialogue and conversations, give advice on how to make the story flow better,and also to see if the script would be as long as the planned hours

If there is anyone who would like to help me write the story and give me some ideas, I would be very thankful. Thsi will be my first time making a game.

Here are some details of what the game will be like:

Title(temporary): Syphoners

Genre: Anime horror RPG

Synopsis: Richard Anderson lives with his wealthy best friend, Jacob Bryant. On their way home on the day before their second-year college finals, Richard received a mysterious letter. Inside the message was a key, at first he had no idea what it could open, but later out of pure curiosity, he found out it was the key to a box left behind to him by his deceased parents. What Richard found inside were papers with strange symbols, when Richard grabbed the little paper with a skull on it, his hand burned and on his palm was a skull tattoo. What he also found were documents that raise the possibility his parents aren't dead, and a location to go to, an abandoned mansion in Iceland. The next morning, Richard and Jacob decided after their finals, they would go the place in the documents. There, they will meet four people, all with different goals, helping each other, form bonds, and...

Total Planned Play-Hours:20-28 (5-7 per playthrough)(4 playthroughs in total)

Gameplay: the main character will have to explore the four areas of the mansion(lower floor, back of the mansion, mysterious cave, and upper floor) while fighting enemies, solving puzzles, and finding items to aid in battle. The player, though this will be planned and only happen at certain times, will have to run from the boss of the area and try to escape from it.

Battle: the player can control 3 characters in battle, it operates on a timeline. depending on their action they will be sent back by a certain distance. each character has an assigned element and attack type, Richard is both darkness and slash, while Jacob is wind and pierce. each character also has a unique set of abilities and playstyle.

my role: i will be in charge of imputing the dialog into the game , and writing the story/scenario of the game as well. I shall also act as the director of this project.

please contact me through my discord Gaia#3679 if you're interested or would like more information

Last edited:

Yokozach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Will Do! Till then, keep me posted.
Gotcha, also quick question, how would you prefer to help with the script. What do you usually use? How would this work?(I’m sorry for asking, I’m a beginner at script writing)

Sweetevilkitty

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gotcha, also quick question, how would you prefer to help with the script. What do you usually use? How would this work?(I’m sorry for asking, I’m a beginner at script writing)
May i suggest something? You should both have discord and keep contact through that since it is faster than emailing. You could use it for uploading text files to each. :)

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. Just dropping by to say I like your synopsis. I really love horror rpgs. All the rpg games I've ever player were all horror themed :) While I'd like to help you, I'm pretty busy with my own game. But if you need help with advice about dialogue and stuff, I'm willing to help you ^^ By the way, what engine are you using?

Yokozach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello. Just dropping by to say I like your synopsis. I really love horror rpgs. All the rpg games I've ever player were all horror themed :) While I'd like to help you, I'm pretty busy with my own game. But if you need help with advice about dialogue and stuff, I'm willing to help you ^^ By the way, what engine are you using?
I’m planning on using MV, thank you for the advice offer, how do you recommend I contact you for faster response?

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never used discord before. But I can learn to use it if you're ok with it? Otherwise you can just mail me.

Yokozach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've never used discord before. But I can learn to use it if you're ok with it? Otherwise you can just mail me.
Fine by me, tell your email, and when you finally made a discord account contact me through there please

DilidKuDufan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Somali
Primarily Uses
RM2k

I bring some suggestive ideas that can give you a head start if you are willingly creative enough to formulate with me here.

A good script may read like a conversation between good friends who've just reconnected, or an important reference scene where the dialogue's eventing swoons the player's interest further into the character's plot-lines.
Every time you write conversation between people in the story should bring out further story development.

In simple words - It may read like a storyboard or TV Character Script.

An Example: (I present a scenario of two chums crossing into eachother's company)
John: Hey, Charlie! (sudden waves at Charlie) Old friend I didn't see you there till just now. (Breaks out a cantine of water, hands the container to Charlie)

Charlie: Thanks John (sighs relief as he half heartedly grabs the bottle to drink a chug without showing his sweat) Yeah, good thing we've come across eachother (swiping his forehead cockily) I would've lost my cool to the Sun traveling between the Villages. Are you also going East?

John: (Thinking in gesture) No, I was heading North to pick up the herbal potions from the village elders. (Head nods in bowing format as he takes back the cantine.) Take care Charlie, good luck. We will meet again soon old friend!

(John runs off into the background fades away as Charlie reminisces over the moment now meditating to move on to his next destination)

Charlie: Good bye John, for Now. Heh, soon enough. (Charlie grabs his sword and luggage and proceeds his journey)
But I can't help feel this wasn't coincidence, not. Oh well (Shakes off the feeling as it sets Evening almost to the arrival)

Now - You see! It was an example how to set the tone and stage setting.
Granted, this style of writing I chose is more better for TV style movie production but it gives character, story, and setting with action.

Plot lines should fit the details of the main idea. The stories and conversation should constantly theme that main idea In and Throught the project. Too much small talk brings distraction and too much talking kills the thematic experience of action anticipation.

In storyboarding your works before scripting normally requires a climatic point or a plot twist that connects the previous event to the next one over in intervals of chapters.

I wouldn't recommend writing novel style for drafting as it is detailed time consuming to the point of being very unnecessary. Though some scripters may write in this way as to pin point certain ideas they want orchestrated into their works.

Best of best all, you want to be creative and fun writing. Because eventually some of these scenes will make the final cut into the game just by reading what was wrote on paper come to life into the computer is always a fun pleasure to witness. I hope my words give you courage to look into further your progress. Enjoy yourself!

Any further questions? Keep in contact.

I wouldn't recommend writing novel style for drafting as it is detailed time consuming to the point of being very unnecessary. Though some scripters may write in this way as to pin point certain ideas they want orchestrated into their works.

On the other hand if you do take this approach know that it may have to be written simple with not so much graphic details to make it translatable to scene interpreting when it becomes visual.

Here's an second example to give story board a novel substance without over-drafting details making it easier for scene writers to make dialogue into.
John approaches into the village he sets in the far East. It is by now a dark night. He reaches to the Inn where he pays the shop keep handsomely for the night's stay. Worn in a weary bed drowsed awake, he thinks of his meeting with Charlie and how wonderful it was to see his long time friend again. Knowing in the inside they will soon encounter once more, all the sudden in the night's silence. A sound is heard, John questions it as a mouse brushing it off to try to sleep instead the noise grows louder by the window. John grabs his sword and opens it, it's an sick poor elder begging with shakes, John trusting his instinct decides to sneak the man inside. Questioning him "Who are you?" says John, replied in a frail tone "I was once a rogue knight like you (coughs) now, I am just as am as of now. . ." John being in a trusting mood "No need to speak, here." He aides the old man to the bed seeing a tattoo on his arm of a ogre. He knew he was a true former noblesman. "Rest well former warrior, I as a young knight will keep my word to look out for my fellow kindred, regardless of status." John hangs at the wall falling asleep with his sword knowing his kindness will be repaid with respect in doing the right thing he self assures.

So from the example story text, it gives enough insight to you that there is a complete setting with action to infer conversation even when none is there and when it is spoken brings clarity to the main idea.

I mean nothing is ever too sophisticated, just showing there is different styles to bring about a writing style process that will work the most easiest.

By the way OP, don't think these posts are just for you that rather it is for any audience who stumbles upon this gaining a input into their own creativity. More so general public to showcase my own knowledge on the subject - for either future inspiration or gemmed as a piece of knowledge worth remembering ha ha ha, I don't know how many truly creative types are roaming around these parts doing this professionally so it's better to assume there is a balance of advanced game engineers and newbie hobbyist on this platform alike.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Still early in development but feel like I'm hitting a wall. Either I can't find plugins to do what I need, or they're paywalled :/
Screenshot-2021-05-02-at-15-07-54.png

Tivadar will help you travel to distant places in Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace

Finally done with the school project, here's the raw video of it. o_O :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luok