Looking for Some Partners in Crime! (Mystery-RPG Recruitment)

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

General Information:
Engine: RPG Maker MV
Game Release(s): Commercial, English.
Genre(s): Mystery, Comedy, Adventure
Synopsis:
Chance knew from the day he was born that he was bound for greatness. Unfortunately, Chance was horribly misguided in this assumption.

In the far-away city of Los Cactus, there have been murders most foul. Monster-kind is being shunned from the streets, the blame for these murders falling on their shoulders. An election on the horizon threatens to jeopardize their position in the world even further! Just who will step up to save them?

Unfortunately for the monsters, that person is Chance Thomson, a hopelessly errant detective who struggles to tie his own shoelaces! Monster-kind's only hope lies in he and his new partner, a mysterious lady named Grace. With her help, can Chance shape up and solve the mysteries surrounding Los Cactus?

Play as Chance in a collection of mysteries against tricky foes and cunning set-ups! Piece together clues to discover the villain's narrative, and do your best not to nab the wrong guy! Meet a wide cast of colorful characters, from zombie waitresses to your very own Slime Friend™, and try to break a very inconvenient sleep cycle!
Maps/Sprites:

Portraits:

Icons:

Position(s) Filled:
Lead Artist
Concept Artist
Writer(s)
Composer(s)
Sound Designer
Eventer/Programmer

Position(s) Open:
-> GUI/Logo Design: For this position, I'm mainly looking for people who can help with menu and title screen design. If you're not comfortable working in a pixel style, even putting together some mock-ups/concepts to work from would help a great deal.

-> Pixel Artist: This project is super heavy on pixel art, so I'm looking for people who can assist with making some of the assets (portraits, sprites, maps, etc). I'll be more than happy to give you a crash course in the drawing/shading style as needed ^^

Other:
Compensation:
Naturally, you will be fully-credited for any and all of your contributions. I can’t do much when it comes to monetary payment until after the game's release, but I'm willing to provide graphics/support for a future project of yours in exchange.

Communication:
As of right now we're using a Discord server to communicate, though messages via email the forum also work fine.​

Interested?
Feel free to send me a message on the forum, or via one of the contact methods on my profile.​

Last edited:

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
DSFKGFGHSFGKISFISGSGSGFGF

I won't be able to whip together any particularly 16 bit sounding music immediately for your sample tracks, but I do have a portfolio demo if  that'll do until I can get you a sample piece.

On second thought, I DO have a couple 16 bit esque sounding tracks... 

Generic area

Also...

Cutscene/end credits theme sample:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amysaurus Well, I'm garbage at maps of any kind, but I can do GUI and hopefully legible character designs. Here's an example of a title screen I made for a member: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVTTk3dDByb2NjQzQ/view?usp=sharing

I can do windowskins too:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVelJBTVR3LTkwem8/view?usp=sharing

And other GUI stuff:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVY1V1ejZaTFQxcE0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVMm9Oc0JyQllmT3M/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVTnduTXE1SUItNW8/view?usp=sharing

A character sketch, perhaps a little overly detailed (I put the name for my own sake): 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MRQKz4-tnVVkRsN0hlVklhQ00/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you need more examples. 

@Saltwater Croc Nice songs.  :thumbsup-right:

Last edited by a moderator:

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Saltwater Croc @HexMozart88 Thanks a ton for your offers! I really appreciate it. :)

Update time!
- The writing and composing spots have been filled.
- The character and GUI designer spots have been filled.
- The eventing/scripting spots have been filled.
The remaining positions have been updated. :D

Last edited:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Maaan, how I adore that artstyle! Great work Amysaurus (saw your work on DA before!)

I'm looking forward to the result. <3

(Sadly it seems that there's nothing I can help you with, hahaa~)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you dont mind the map layout in RTP tiles, im decent at coming up with interesting, functional places. What would i have to work with?

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Plueschkatze Thanks so much!!  :wub:

@Dungeons & Drinks RTP tiles are fine.  :)  

As of right now, I have a document set up that describes the types of buildings/scenery we'd need mapped out, as well as sketches done by the concept artists. From there, you'd be welcome to discuss further details with the rest of the team and I. Feel free to send me a quick message if you'd like to take a look. ^^

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Updates:
- The mapping positions have been filled.
- The remaining positions have been updated!

The team is pretty much full, but there's still a spot open for anyone interested in helping with GUI design.  :)

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Update tiiiiiime~ :kaoluv:

- I'm still looking for a menu/GUI designer, if anyone's interested
- There's now a second pixel artist on the team :cutesmile:

.....aaaand here's some artwork, in case you're curious to see how things are looking: :kaojoy:

Here are the two main characters! On the top row is Chance, and on the bottom is his partner, Grace. :stickytongue:

Here are a few pieces of pixel art I've put together! The first is a sprite I made for a zombie chef, the second is an in-progress map of Chance's office, and the third is a drawing of the zombie waitress.

Juztsacki

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am willing to work GUI. I'm good at graphic design and definitely would love to help. :)
Let me know if you still need someone working GUI. PM the info.

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Update time! :smile:

For now, the team is filled. Thanks so much to everyone who offered! :kaoluv:

LxCharon

I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm excited to see the game you guys come out with!!

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hey guys! :kaothx:
It’s about time for an update, amirite? Here’s what’s new with….

The Team:
Hmmm... not too much here! I have a couple of positions open, if any of you are interested! Right now they are for another pixel artist, as well as a GUI/menu designer. Pretty much everything else is covered right now. If you have any interest, feel free to send a message my way - I'll get you some more info of what I'm looking for. :smile:

Development:
As of right now, pretty much all of the main mechanics have been set up and are functional, but we’re still working on having the graphics and story ready to be implemented. Placeholders. Placeholders everywhere.

Animated portraits? Check!
Travel system? Got it!
Evidence system? Checkeroonie!
Dialogue system? You betcha!
Writing/Story:
We’re still hammering out a lot of the specifics (writing cases is work, y’know!), but we’ve been making some decent headway on outlining the cases. Once that’s all finished up, we’ll start focusing more on the specifics (branching dialogue, presenting evidence, all that good stuff!).
Graphics:
Remember maps like these? Those were the days.

As of last month-ish, they’ve been scrapped for this look:

It’s a bit of a drastic change, aye? This style is, admittedly, a bit more work, but it fits the look and gameplay we’re going for so much better. If you’re a fan of the older style - no worries! I’m still using that style for a graphics set I’m putting together, so you’ll see it again sometime!
Music/Sound Design:
Not too much going on in this department (we're holding off a bit until the story is further along), but we’ve got some pretty swanky tracks in progress! I'll be sure and update you guys when we have some finished ones ready to share! :biggrin:

Other:
If you made it this far.... wow! I'll try and have something more special for the end next time, but for now, here’s a look at how I put together the character art for this game:

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! I really appreciate it :kaoluv:

Reactions: Gin

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Gin Haha, yup! At some point when I was making it, I just kinda went "Nahhhhhh. That should just be more frosting." :stickytongue:

Also, huzzah! We have gained +1 pixel artist! That means I can take a break from working on my cloning device~:kaoluv:

Reactions: Gin

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
IT’S UPDATE DAY! =D

Positions/The Team:
We haven’t killed each other yet! That’s an accomplishment, right?? There are still some spots open if anybody is interested in doing pixel art or menu designs ^^

Development:
We’re currently on our 10th test build. Whoop! We’ve incorporated the new sprite style successfully, we’re working on incorporating the maps right now, and we’re hoping to have our first section playable by the end of June.

Writing/Story:
Right now we’re working on the draft for the first case, with a focus on dialogue/interactions with different characters. The outcome of conversations will vary based on your dialogue choices, as well as what evidence/topics you choose to discuss with them . ^^

Graphics:
Lately, the focus has been on developing character designs, location designs, and working on sprites for the first case. I ended up getting a walk cycle finished that I can base future character sheets off of, and it works great with the movement restricted to sideview only.

Besides that, I’m working on converting some of the concept sketches to portraits, as well as continuing to improve the portrait poses/animations

Music/Sound Design:
As of right now, we’ve got 4 tracks either finished or in progress. I’ll get some posted once they’re up on Soundcloud or another sharing platform - I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys think! Most of the tracks have a jazzy, spooky style to them, which has been great to see (hear!) developing over time.

Other:
Once again, thanks for making it to the end of the post! I tried to not be so wordy this time, but I don’t think it worked, hehe. For a little something extra, I thought I’d share how the main character’s look has changed over time.

Can we talk about how blocky my drawing style back then was???

Last edited:

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have a ton experience in various things. I will PM you.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, you've seen some of my GUI before (because I posted it here) but I can't pixel art. =='

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's looks good, i can do a lot of graphical stuff and events, some times scripts.Call me if you want me.

Last edited:

Cubic

Level 23 Thief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Heyo! I'm Brodie, I can do Pixel Art or GUI design :D

Hmu on Discord if you still need help in these positions on the team - Database#0045

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

https://itch.io/jam/scream-jam-2020/rate/797725 Hey guys come play /rate my jam rpg maker horror game!!!!
I worked a lot more today and I am thinking about Youtube videos to make to my channel, but I am still looking for some content :D

But I am happy to be back at work :D
Update... no scam calls all day. I think they learned their lesson. And I'm working on a fake anti-piracy video, featuring a fan game I'm making in MV. If I had the permission to make the game a licensed game that I could sell (rather than having it totally free like fan games are required to be), I'd use a really cool anti-piracy screen...
People2_1 added! ( with alternative hairstyle )

Hey there fellow makers!

just looking for an excuse to post this, really... :kaoslp:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJTG15092003