Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Resource Type: Tiles (A2 and B)

Maker Format: VX Ace

Art Style: Original/retro (style isn't hugely important, as long as the tiles are no higher quality than something that might appear on the SNES. If examples are really needed, I'd love tiles of a similar style to EVO: The Search For Eden or the original Lemmings.

Description:
Hi all. I'm currently working on a game inspired by the E.V.O games in which as your character evolves, so do the graphics and gameplay. The first few stages (following the invertebrate stages which are very simple) are underwater sidescrollers.

For the first part, (NES inspired) I was able to create a tileset I was happy with without too much trouble. But I've hit a bit of a block with the second part, so I'd like to find someone to create the tiles I need.

I'm keeping things simple for the moment, so I'm not asking for a full tileset! I'm hoping to do as much of the work as possible myself. Here's what I am looking for.

For the A2 tileset:
1x Sand
1x Coral
Two or three different rock tiles

Optional: an alternate version of each of the above, darkened to look like a tunnel's interior. I'm also happy to edit that myself instead.

For the B tileset:
Corner tiles that smooth out the harsh edges and correspond to each wall type. Here's an example of what I mean. (What I've made and am using currently.) It doesn't look very natural.
Some extra tiles I could put above sand to break up some of the harsh lines would also be great if possible.

Last edited:

Fen_Star

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English (Americ
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there a reason you are doing quarter circles for the corners?
Also, it looks like you aren't using auto tiles?

And when you say smooth out, do you mean more blurry/ alpha layer or do you mean less geometric?
(Obviously in this image they are both terrible, but as an example)

1604452011073.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Fen_Star It's mainly because the hard, square edges didn't look right. There isn't really a reason they're quarter circles specifically, and they don't have to be.

No, these aren't autotiles. I'm not very experienced in making them and there are a few other reasons I didn't attempt to use them here. If using them would be better in this situation, I could.

By smooth out, I mean making the edges of the A tiles less square and harsh with the B tiles. This has been done in the image I linked, just not in a way that looks very good. The 'less geometric' section you showed is the kind of look I'd really like though, it just didn't turn out great when I tried it so I did the circle thing.

@MushroomCake28 Oops, sorry. It's removed. I don't tend to feel comfortable asking for things without offering something in return. I apologise for breaking any rules.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!
ddwk.png

working on the sprite for Devali <3
My Game Development Livestream

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kmeep