dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heyo! I'm looking for some style inspiration for trees that are so tall they can't be shown fully on the map and have to be implied.

The map in question is that I want to make a Redwood forest, and the 4 tile tall trees I normally make don't give me the right feeling that I am trying to go for. This is the size these giants can grow up to.
29274_hd.jpg

I know that I am able to fill off the map edges with trees that go off the map, but I need some redwood trees scattered across the rest of the inner portions of the maps too, which is where I would need to imply the height as it would block out too much of the map to show in full.
So far the only reference that I could come up with is from Final Fantasy Tactics where they cross section the trees like in my further examples. And I'm leaning towards that, but I would like to know first if anyone has a tip or other references that I might not have considered before I start working on it. Broaden my artistic options and such.

I hope someone could point me me a few examples, thanks for reading ^^

maxresdefault.jpg
latest

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
An elven village from Aveyond 1
35-Oldwoods.png
aveyond 1 tree ville.jpg
For smaller width, the giant beanstalk from Aveyond 1 as well. It's XP RTP edit.
Game_2019-01-21_20-02-00.png

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What if you make the cross section more of a soft gradient instead of a hard cut?

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I have an idea now. The straight cut could use something more to it but couldn't put a finger on it, so the foliage might help pad that out. Seems like a narrower map layout helps with the 'I'm tiny' mood too.

Thanks again for the help everyone ^^

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We're playing another Touch the Stars game jam entry, come join us! :D
Ok is telling someone that their drawing isnt good rude
I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StaciaStay