OchiChernye

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey all,

Looking for some suggestions on how I may accomplish altering the TP meter's functioning for my current project.

I've messed around with Yanfly's Enhanced TP but it doesn't accomplish all that I'm looking for.

Specifically I'm looking to:
- make TP fall gradually while walking around
- make TP fall gradually as turns pass in battle
- have TP able to be altered by items and skills, so far I can get it to increase or decrease with an item by a set amount but I'd really like to be able to make an item cause a regenerating effect as well.
- have something that checks TP and imparts a special buffed state when TP is above a certain percentage

If anyone has any plugins/scripts/other methods they'd recommend for accomplishing this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate the help!
Not necessarily looking for folks to do all this for me, just to be pointed in the right direction.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TP gradual decrees both in field and in battle is just a TP regen trait with a negative number (same way poison works)
item regenerating is just having the item "add state" with a positive number TP regen trait. (if the base degen is -4TP per turn and want item to activate +4TP regen per turn the state would need to be +8% TP regeneration)

all this so far has been very beginner stuff, might wanna look at some tutorials if getting stumped by just this.

the TP over X amount activating a state would require a plugin. yanfly's plugins can do this with passive state conditions <TP Above: X>

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have an Expanded TP plugin of my own, so you could take a quick look and see if it covers anything that Yanfly's doesn't. It's likely it just does most of the same stuff in slightly different ways, but there might be some differences that are important for what you need.

- make TP fall gradually while walking around
- make TP fall gradually as turns pass in battle
I think both of these should be possible by just setting a TP Regeneration trait on your actors; it's one of the choices for Extra Parameter. Extra Parameters are added, so set it to anything less than 0.

That would affect TP regeneration both in battle and while walking around. I'm not sure if there's a way to separate the two.
- have TP able to be altered by items and skills, so far I can get it to increase or decrease with an item by a set amount but I'd really like to be able to make an item cause a regenerating effect as well.
The solution for this is basically the same as the previous one - the TP Regeneration extra parameter. In this case, you'd create a state that has the trait and have your item or skill apply that state. Or if the item is a weapon or armour, put the trait on the weapon or armour.
- have something that checks TP and imparts a special buffed state when TP is above a certain percentage
I think this could be done with a common event that checks every turn and applies the state if the TP is high enough. I'd recommend a plugin-based way instead though (such as what Tiamat posted).

Last edited:

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, you're right, I had it mixed up with TP Charge Rate which is a special param. I'll edit the post to fix that.

OchiChernye

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you both so much for your help!

I've been able to implement pretty much everything now due to your help!

However I did run into an issue with the passive states.

I'm using the TP bar as a sort of rage meter that the player must manage, as such I made it so there is a sort of punishment state that occurs when it hits 100

The issue is that this state is supposed to last for some number of turns but because it is applied using the Auto Passive state it removes itself as soon as the TP goes below 100 (which is like, the end of the turn that the state is applied during).

Is there any way around this?

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no experience with Yanfly's plugins, but is there perhaps a way for a state to apply another state when it's applied?

For example, give your "auto passive" state a "custom apply" action that causes it to add another state, which is the real punishment state; the auto passive is just a trigger mechanism.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Thank you.

OchiChernye

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is a really great idea! I have the Buff States Core plugin but apparently it requires some Java knowledge to do this effect and mine is non-existent lol

I'd been using this code with another state

<Custom Apply Effect>

user.removeState(11);

</Custom Apply Effect>

It removes a different state when another state is applied...but I don't know the correct wording/java terminology to add a state to the actor instead of removing one...

Any help would be appreciated, on the home stretch now! ;__;

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it would be
user.addState(X)

X would have to be a different state ID that has the negative effects and duration while the state with the notetag is just the trigger for it.

ive never use custom effect notetags in a passive state though so not sure if there'll be any strange issues with it. (since the state technically is applied 24/7 just not always active)
ive only ever used them for things like gradual petrify/death sentence and thing like haste overwrites slow / poison vs regen (and vise versa)

after looking into 1 concern i doubt there is a problem with it being on a passive since some of the tags are specifically built for it.
the concern was with using just custom apply effect, if for example the X state has a 3 turn duration but they stay at 100TP for several turns the negative effects could fade when they shouldnt.
so should try getting it to work with 2 trigger notetags in the passive state.

<Custom Apply Effect>
user.addState(X)
</Custom Apply Effect>
<Custom Turn End Effect>
user.addState(X)
</Custom Turn End Effect>

this way the negative effects will start as soon as they reach 100TP and the duration will get reset if they stay at 100TP.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I misread above - Custom Apply Effect can't work with passive states because they are always on an actor and toggled on and off. They never apply/remove.

So yes, you'd have your passive state trigger when the actor hits 100 TP. Then give that state one of the tags from the Buffs and States core to add the other 5-turn state.

I would probably go with Custom Initiate Effect, so that the other state is applied and will affect the next action you do, but it depends on how your TP system works.

The potential problem with Custom Turn End as @Tiamat-86 suggested is if you end your turn at 96 TP, then an enemy hits them after their turn (or they regenerate some at the beginning of their next turn), it would take them to 100, they might spend some to activate a skill, and they'd never get the other buff.

Now, the potential trick with that is that if they don't choose to spend TP at that point, it will keep re-applying the second state on each of their turns. Ways around that are to give the second buff a TP drain, so even if they don't choose to spend it they won't still be getting the passive state at 100 TP; or, if you own it, the Lunatic Pack for Passive States allows for stacked conditions, so you could say the passive state turns on when TP is 100 and the user doesn't have state X.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ur thinking of action end not turn end when mentioned enemy attacking after, thats still the same turn.
but would still want some kinda condition that activates it as soon as hit 100.

he mentioned earlier having TP degen as a regular thing but then items could trigger TP regen,
had me thinking of custom regeration effect + turn end effect but then would still leave out user action, party member actions, and enemy action possibly giving them TP

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Did you know that 90% of people in the world use the number in their sentence as they see fit?
It's been a long time since I was here but I have a lot of updates... btw I am teaching again about game programming and game design in some schools here in Brazil hahahaha It's good to see kids and teens learning this kind of thing!
welp, I literally can't continue working on ALEX now that my MZ trial is up (unless I somehow place in the jam which I don't remotely deserve to for my unfinished crap) so I am back on my bullshit
some test stuff. Empty for now. My other project (this project) needs more attention. The lagging really kicks up when I try to capture gameplay. ✨

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc_826