Seymour35

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
france
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone, thank you for coming to my post, welcome.

Today, after several weeks of research, I come to ask for your help in order to find what is blocking me in the creation of my game. I can't start, because the characters (basic I guess) don't really suit me. So your help and your ideas and especially your experiences could be of great help to me.

I made a screen of what I want to have as a character finally, when I say character, I speak of the model that the player controls, the one that I present to you is that of the dialogues that I will stage (j hope this is understandable?).

So there you go, I've seen several simple things here and there on the forums and I find that there are some people who have good ideas (and above all talent).

Afterwards, I absolutely do not ask that the character be made for me ready-made, it will not help me to learn how to make another one. I say to myself, maybe, that I am missing elements in the bass of given rpg maker (mv is my version). I think it's limited, even more so if you want to make a modern game and not medieval.

I also have software to make bigger characters, it's super interesting, but this software is only a demo I think, or an unfinished project, so it's a shame because it had a lot of potential.

In the end, if someone wants to take the time to help me, I still want the characters to be believable, not boiled pixels ^^

chara projet.png

Then, another thing, if someone wants to share with me, talk about their respective projects, for this motivation one and the other, that would be cool. Staying in touch seems like a very good thing to me. I find that it motivates and it allows you to have a look other than yourself on your project.

I'm really waiting for your answer and please, the trolls or all those who have finally demotivated me, I invite them to abstain, it's just that I don't want to be discouraged by what I want to put in place. I know that on the forums there are people who will tell me to learn by myself, but please, that's not what I'm asking here. I am aware of all that revolves around copyright, remuneration etc etc but PITY, I really do not want to be discouraged. I'm a beginner, it's true, but I want to learn. If I don't have a character I like, I can't even start at all.

Go, thank you to all those who took the time to read me until the end my big block and if you want to know more about my project, you can answer here or in private, it would be easier (and discord afterwards ).

Good game and good project to all.

Attachments

• chara projet.png
    chara projet.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
the trolls or all those who have finally demotivated me, I invite them to abstain

I really liked how you put that.

Anyway, the controllable characters are generally referred to as 'sprites' here. They come on 'sprite sheets' to allow them frames of movement and can be any size or style, but the small pixelated ones (48x48 pixels) are the default.

The problem you'll initially run into with more detailed sprites is that they'll still only have three walking frames, so the movement will be sort of staggered and awkward. You can change this with plugins, but I would suggest starting a simple game with more traditional assets first to help you get to know the system.

I think that answers the broader question, but if you want specific help making sprites, sprite sheets, tiles, or any of the programming that goes into game dev with RPG Maker, definitely keep posting. :)

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I believe this is one of those projects that will just grow into infinity and never satisfy. Let's try to assess your needs and narrow it down to an achievable goal.

The first question I want to ask is what is the purpose of these parts? I would assume it's to allow the player to play dress-up. You use "I" a lot, but it's hard to distinguish where you are coming from.
I can read it as "you, as a game developer" wanting resource options.
But I can also read it as "you, a hypothetical player" wanting to character customization.

It might help to know what you already have.
If this is about in-game customization, it would be reassuring if you could show a proof of concept. A prototype. How will the player customize their characters? How will the player unlock, acquire, collect these options?
You don't need to answer, this is just to come up with a rough estimate of how many costume changes would be practical.

Once you have a number, you can start thinking about what those costumes are. I would say a typical RPG only has about 5-8 equipment tiers, material grades, or just simple variations.

It'd be wise to come up with categories, or themes. From your examples, you have Casual, Business, Swim Suits, Sleep wear. Maybe all you need is 2 or 3 variations each.

sunnyFVA

how a demon do
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
edit: I realize now from the thread title that you're more looking for pieces and generator-type solutions. Ideally this information ends up being useful to you somehow anyway, but please disregard it otherwise.

If I understand correctly, you seem to be looking for advice on how to create more realistically proportioned sprites for modern-styled characters. Pardon me if I am mistaken. My method is not ideal, but it is usable. An example of the outcome (my initial attempt at this method):

layeredClipCharacterSheet{d}.png

Do note that the format is not the normal MV resource standard, as this sheet is intended for use with MV3D (and so includes diagonals).

These sprites were created as follows:
1. Using Clip Studio Modeler (free), assemble a character. I used some of the included parts just to test the process.
2. Gather your character's poses. Again, for this simplest version, I just grabbed free "idle stand" and "taking a step" poses from the Clip Studio asset marketplace.
3. There are probably better ways to do this, but I then used the thumbnail maker tool in CSM to screenshot the character in both poses at every requisite angle. With symmetrical character designs, some angles can be skipped as they can be created by flipping the opposite angle.
4. Using the image editor of your choice (I used GIMP), scale down each image to the proper dimensions. This sprite maintains the 48px width but uses a different height. You can make other adjustments here such as color adjustment/indexing, manual cleanup, outlining, etc.
5. Assemble your sprite sheet. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the asset standards for your engine such as formatting and naming conventions. There are community-made templates available for you to work with.

Overall, though the principle seems sound, I would not recommend using this exact process. It is finnicky and more sensitive than it should be. You're better off finding a different doll maker/3d character software that outputs a more standard format (for example .obj) and using Blender. It is my understanding that Blender features built-in and community tools that are well suited to this task. I was just being bullheaded at the time I did this, and the result was satisfactory.

Hopefully I understood your request, and I look forward to hearing more from you about your project.

Last edited:

Seymour35

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
france
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for your messages and your support, I appreciate it.

I'm not specific, but yes, I think the most useful for me would be to have more clothing and haircut choices in the base generator. I'm looking for free packs because I've seen things on steam for 10 euros and more for one or two things, and besides, I don't even know if it could match what I'm looking for. So it's too hazardous a payment for me. But maybe I'm asking for the moon, I'm aware of that.

Level of my game, it's still "a project" I want to say. I first want to gather all that I need, I explain to you. See it as a puzzle, you need all the pieces to make it complete, for me it's the same thing. I need my maps, my characters and a bit of dialogue design customization.

Afterwards, my game, I say the word game, but it's not really a game I want to say. Don't wait to have monsters and leveled up. It's more a main character who interacts with other characters and advances the story, a bit like a manga I want to say (if it's not clear, I apologize in advance).

But keep in mind that the characters can be a moment at school, a moment at home, a moment at the beach or on a date etc etc... that's why I need a lot clothes, if I want to be credible.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am still a little confused on what you actually want and for which engine. For RPG Maker MV there are actually plenty of free parts out there - check the restaff releases, the MV resource section, especially hiddeone's thread, if you have MV on steam check the DLC folder for the modern freebie pack...

Those are just two examples from the forum:

You will have do do a lot of work searching and organising the stuff, just remember that each artist probably had to put hours into every single piece of work.

Here is the dedicated subforum on lucky duet:

And there are even more sites with parts, like:

Basically, this is the type of request where we can just roughly point in a direction and you have to walk (look through all the threads and pages and gather and organize the results) yourself.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the most useful for me would be to have more clothing and haircut choices in the base generator.
Are you sure? You have stuff in your first post about very large images and you say you don't want your characters to be..."boiled pixels"...and while I'm not sure what that means, I assumed it meant you didn't want them to be small pixel art.

Anything you get for the MV generator will only make those 48x48 character sprites.
Don't wait to have monsters and leveled up. It's more a main character who interacts with other characters and advances the story, a bit like a manga I want to say
That's referred to as a visual novel. You can certainly make that kind of game in RPG Maker, but you have to change a lot in order to make it work. Have you looked at other software that might start you closer to where you want to be? For example, this Web site also sells a Visual Novel Maker.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have game ideas, but none of them would fit the theme for IGMC. XD
Why the heck do I keep comparing my games to ones made by huge companies? I'd love them to have that level of polish but I'm simply not good enough.
Hell of a day at the London Games Market! :D

1656892272017.png

Check out my haul!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FistedWaffleE2