Looking for Turkish/Ottoman background music (free if possible)

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Resource Type: Background music

Maker Format: MV

I'm making a demo of a high fantasy RPG based around an old Turkish or Ottoman Empire setting. For the music, I'd like something in the style of old Turkish/Ottoman folk and instrumental music. There will also be a light amount of crossover with other Middle Eastern settings, so it doesn't have to be strictly tied to the region, but close enough that it would feel at home there.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding music that is royalty-free that I can work with. Though there's a quite a lot of royalty-free Turkish/Ottoman music, none that I've found is very suitable as background music--either because it's not loopable, it's not instrumental, or it's too distracting/dynamic to serve as ambient music. Much of it also leans a little too specifically toward an Arabian desert style which is a little too far out of my game's desired setting. (I don't know how to describe music sounding "desert-y" but hopefully you know what I mean)

Reference: The best thing I've found that's closest to what I want is Desert City by Kevin MacLeod. His other "World" music still doesn't sound quite right.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you are not concerned with language, you could include Greek "Rebetica" in your search. Rebetica was (or is) a musical style of the early 20th century. In some ways, it was the equivalent of early American jazz. A lot of the recordings were done by Greeks who had been born and brought up in what is now Turkey. Greek musicians often played Turkish music in the areas that are now Turkey. When the Greek population was expelled, many highly regarded musicians had to earn their living by playing music for the bohemian lower class of Greece instead of upper class Turks. Often, they continued to play in the Turkish style, which was widely appreciated (except perhaps, by Greek nationalists and other respectable citizens).

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found these by searching "oud music royalty free."

Seems pretty fitting for what you're looking for. :)

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are not concerned with language, you could include Greek "Rebetica" in your search. Rebetica was (or is) a musical style of the early 20th century. In some ways, it was the equivalent of early American jazz. A lot of the recordings were done by Greeks who had been born and brought up in what is now Turkey. Greek musicians often played Turkish music in the areas that are now Turkey. When the Greek population was expelled, many highly regarded musicians had to earn their living by playing music for the bohemian lower class of Greece instead of upper class Turks. Often, they continued to play in the Turkish style, which was widely appreciated (except perhaps, by Greek nationalists and other respectable citizens).
I took a look at some of this music and it does sound pretty close to what I'm looking for. But, I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything royalty-free for the terms. It might take some work to figure out how to search for this stuff with different search terms.

I found these by searching "oud music royalty free."

Seems pretty fitting for what you're looking for. :)
Oooh, I really like quite a few of the songs here! I didn't even think about searching by instrument, I'll have to take advantage of that.

Thank you both for your help! I'm still open to any more music sources if anyone has some.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Slapped together a title screen and working on some dungeon clutter + portraits for Dubhghaill and Einar. Usual CW for minor body horror wrt Einar
QVLJIgD.png

OaPcYUy.png

r55FiUJ.png

EIgO94y.png
cT1V4nb.png
>studying for months for an exam
>does exam
>waits 3 months for the results to come out
>me trying to login, incorrect password
>I get recovery password
>me trying to login, incorrect password

What the heck. As a son of a Karen, I'm going to file a few complaints.
Apparently Amazon Prime users get free Genshin Impact stuff like primogems and whatnot every month, but I'm not sure I ever want to fall into the abyss of F2P ever again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th Nov to 2nd Dec (2021)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AryaMaster