[Looking for Tutorials, MV] Any best tutorials in your experience to build maps from zero?

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mods, feel free to move this thread because I honestly don't know where to post.

Hello everyone. I had experience with maps in my millennial life, and I remember a few games that let you make any map creation mode. The best examples I can think of are Time Splitters 2 and Time Splitters 3. I remember having so much fun creating maps of capture the flag, deathmatches, or even make silly Single Player Missions for my brother to play with.

The problem with RPG Maker MV I'm having is that I lack the foundations in order to build the motivation and by extension, build the feeling of having fun creating maps. I don't know where to start, and I know there are tutorials around here, but I prefer that you send me the tutorials that yourself found useful to build that kind foundation. I'm not sure if I'm expressing this right when I'm saying this.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Avery has written some mapping tutorials for the official blog, maybe you'll find them helpful~

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have a tutorial, but I can give you some tips to avoid the most common pitfalls.
especially because most mapping tutorials (including the ones above) start too late and skip the most important first steps.

You don't start with a map editor, you start with a text file (or pen and paper).
First, you start to write down the purpose of the map - both ingame (like connecting between two villages) and outgame (like giving the player a place to gain EXP).

Then you start to list what you need on the map to solve that purpose - a village needs homes, shops (which ones), a blacksmith, a well or river as water source and so on. Go over those lists a few times to make sure you haven't forgotten anything, preferably cycling between different map designs to get all lists correct before the next steps.

then you start with a sketch on paper about what of the listed items should be placed where to make the map both playable and looking nice. A map isn't playable if the player either has to navigate a labyrinth of a village to get from the inn to the weapon shop, or has to press move buttons to cross half a continent to get from one shop to the next.

Only after you got this part of the map design ready you can think of moving to the editor to make the map.

Tarzanthecat

(Meow)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What helped me most when It came to making maps was looking at games that
I admired, and picking up things I liked, eventually implementing them in my own way. Another thing that can help I having a family member of friend play through the map, and watch their reactions.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif
Doing RPG Maker News #18 | Moghunter is Back, Encrypt MV/MZ Plugins, Isometric Geometric Tiles
Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsdgdsfa