Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
What is a Visual Novel?

Visual novels are interactive fiction games that focus heavily on plot. Most people in the west mistake visual novels as simply dating sims, but true fans know that this is a common misconception. While dating sims share an EXTREMELY similar look, when played they are noticeably different.

The gameplay for visual novels is quite minimum, except for a few exceptions, normally consisting of reading text and making a choice to influence the game ending. Some games have over 100 choices and nearly 15 or more endings while some are linear. Many visual novels feature voice acting, but fan made doujin games are easily spotted because of their lack in this category. The point of view can be anything from first, third or god mode. The genre's vary from slice of life to graphic horror, and the content can feature way too many ero scenes or none at all.

Visual novels also make up more than half of all Japanese computer games released each year, doujin and official.

Visual Novel Proper VS Adventure Game

The differences between visual novel proper (NVL) games and Japanese adventure games (ADV) are often lost to the western market, as adventure games have a completely different meaning in America and other western countries. Almost all visual novels licensed in the US are actually ADVs, which are technically still visual novels. The real difference is the way the text is displayed and other elements inside the game itself. Lately, I have noticed a downfall of NVL style games and a rise of ADV style visual novels, most likely due to the immense popularity of the reading format even if the only game play is "click an option, click to continue".

An example of NVL:

An example of ADV:

To Branch or Stay Kinetic, That is the Question
The easy way to tell apart a Branching visual novel and a kinetic visual novel is this: can you make choices? If you can, than you have a branching visual novel that most likely has multiple endings. Some branching games do not, and the choices only influence the content before the ending like Utawarerumono (a branching game, but not a branching plot). No choices in sight? Then you have a kinetic one in your hands, just read and enjoy.

Branching Examples:

• Fate/Stay Night
  • Katawa Shoujo
Kinetic Examples:

• Narcissu
  • Planetarium
What are you looking for?

• I'm looking for anyone that always wanted to create a visual novel in RPG Maker but always fall under a shortage of features or whatever. I also need you to PM (Private Message) or contact me.
  • You must have art ready for your visual novel. If not, at least a complete game script for at least a 1 hour game.
Deadline of Sign Ups

• December 7, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks intriguing :3 I wish you could tell us a bit more about this project and what you have in mind? What can we expect?

To me, RM lacks a good message system to make a proper (or my ideal) visual novel. I found the default one (and even Yanfly's) way too restricting for what I want to do T.T

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm... I actually have a children's story that I wrote and illustrated a few years back(somewhere in 2009~2010) that could easily be converted, but it would be rather short. Of course people had been after me to make a sequel for quite a while before giving up(I even had the sequel planned out but never got around to it) so I could get around to that...if I can figure GIMP out in time anyway. I'm used to Photoshop CS3 but when I was forced to do a factory reset to my comp I was unable to find the activation code again so I had to stop using it and am trying to find a good replacement that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Little Paw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm just posting to point out that Umineko is the best thing ever.

Though I'm confused as to what this topic is about exactly? Is this a contest? Or are you just looking for people to collab in a VN?

I can write okay but unfortunately I have no artistic skills to speak of.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm actually working on one right now, but it's basically just a Dating Sim. Although I have quite a lot of ideas for a "actual" visual novel. Are you looking for someone who has a story you can work with or do you just want to try making one in the RPG Maker?

dexter64

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello!

Would like to know if this offer/help(?) would still stand after your deadline?

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
You must have art ready for your visual novel. If not, at least a complete game script for at least a 1 hour game.
IMO, the "hardest" part in VN production is ART, especially if you want them to be good, completes with CG moments......>.<

Others might think differently, but at least this is what I think coming from someone with little to no art background. LOL~~

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hello!

Would like to know if this offer/help(?) would still stand after your deadline?
It depends!

IMO, the "hardest" part in VN production is ART, especially if you want them to be good, completes with CG moments......>.<

Others might think differently, but at least this is what I think coming from someone with little to no art background. LOL~~
That's why I'm only asking for 1 hr worth of gameplay :)

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
That's why I'm only asking for 1 hr worth of gameplay :)
Ahhhhhh! Ok, I see what you did there, sis:D.

Do you have any limitation in what you are going to do?

Eg: no R18 cg moments, no Yaoi, and so on?

edited: bad grammar:D

I'm just posting to point out that Umineko is the best thing ever.

Though I'm confused as to what this topic is about exactly? Is this a contest? Or are you just looking for people to collab in a VN?

I can write okay but unfortunately I have no artistic skills to speak of.
I love higurashi better than umineko.

And in my very personal opinion, kara no shoujo is better than both higurashi and umineko in term of gameplay, puzzle, and art.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Ahhhhhh! Ok, I see what you did there, sis:D.

Do you have any limitation in what you are going to do?

Eg: no R18 cg moments, no Yaoi, and so on?
No Sex scenes. You can have romance of any gender though!

Generally at least R13+ friendly.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well then. Time to start working on those dating games of mine.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I always considered a VN, but RM never felt the best tool for it. I can see though, how it could be done. I'd consider this, but I likely do not have the time to make a VN at the moment.

UNphiltered_khaos

Game Dev. Artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Archeia! You've given me the impetus to complete my visual novel, except my holdback is how bad I am at arting.

Now, do I work on this...or the other 3 projects I have going?

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like your descriptions of the different VN subgenre. This is almost a world in itself, not very well known in the west.

There's a point that I'm not sure I got right. You need someone who has an at least 1 hour story or the art ready?

I'm sure everyone has a story here, although that won't necessarily make it a VN in the strict sense of the term.

My own game is a mix of a VN and classical western Adventure game. It should be easy to adapt to a pure VN if needed, though.

But I doubt you'll find someone who already has the art ready. That's usually something that is done alongside actual development or just after.

I'm commissioning someone for a few screens myself, but I had to wait for my game to be in a near-final state before I started considering adding art.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I've always wanted to make a VN. But every time I brew something up in Ren'py or something, it always seems like the story I'm trying to tell would've been better as an RPG Maker game or a web comic. So I'll pass.

Hope something awesome will come out of this, though.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there any sort of particular genre your looking for and any specific maker that this is being aimed at?

Also, if it is a script we are submitting do we have any sort of style/format guides we need to use if we are just going to submit a just script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I miss this site.
I was planning to release a useless plugin for april fools, but then I thought I let it be.
Tfw every dev around me is using Live2D in their MV games and make me question my skills repeatedly.

Spending the day reworking my maps, especially the first "biome". This time it's not even in the dark. :LZSwink:
Activity on the forums has increased lately, probably because of people staying home. The amount of work for moderators has increased lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cobaltexe