RMMZ Loosely 5e inspired battle system, Actions and Bonus actions.

KlausAidon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As the title suggest, I'm tinkering around with making a battle system loosely inspired by 5e rule systems. Wondering if anyone can provide insights, or ideas on how to make my characters have Actions, and bonus actions?

For those unfamiliar, characters are able to do two things during their turns. And Action, and a bonus action. While actions cover most main things in a turn, such as attacking an enemy, or casting a spell. A bonus action are minor actions that can be done along side a main action, and might be most class specific. A rogue hiding as a bonus action, before attacking to line up a sneak attack, or fighter attacking, before raising their shield in defense. A cleric can use a weaker healing spell as a bonus action, while still being able to attack with their main action. etc etc.

What I've been considering is giving each characters two turns, and using two states, one called "Action used", and another called "Bonus action used". Each seal their respective ability types, and will last until the end of turn. What I'm having trouble with is actually giving the characters those states.
So I use the damage formula:
a.addState(32), a.atk - b.def

This does the trick, but with only one problem. It only works if the player lands the attack. If they miss, the state doesn't get added, because the damage formula doesn't go through. So how can I add a state to the character when they use an ability, regardless if that ability works or not?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One way to do it is to use visutella equivalent of yanfly action sequences. In action sequences you can have a skill apply a state to the user when used with absolute certainty.

Edit: Another way is to find the equivalent of yanfly instant use skills, make your bonus actions instant use skills with a global stock of 1 that refreshes every turn so you can use one bonus action globally per turn without ending an actor's turn.

Last edited:

KlausAidon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Visutella's plugins look like they would work. Any idea what the command for adding a state in Visutella's plugins? I'm thumbing through the documentation, but the thing comes with a hefty set of plugins, and a lot of a documentation. If not I can figure it out eventually, either way thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could use a <JS Pre-Damage As User> tag and call user.addState(id) in there.

KlausAidon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry, how would that look in the notes for the ability?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

KlausAidon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[move]Plugin Requests[/move]
Sorry, my original question wasn't specifically asking about plugins as I thought my problem was something that could be solved outside of plugin use.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

KlausAidon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
<JS Pre-Damage As User>
user.addState(32);
</JS Pre-Damage As User>
I tried that, doesn't seem to be working.
2021-05-09.png

But I'll thumb through some of the documentation myself and see if I can figure it out.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried that, doesn't seem to be working.
View attachment 188830

But I'll thumb through some of the documentation myself and see if I can figure it out.
Oh, sorry. Pre-Damage as User only works on non-skill/item entries (states and the like)

Use <JS Pre-Damage> instead.

KlausAidon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, that seems to have done the trick. It's work now, thanks for the help!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Okay, so it seems I've found a major bug in VNM. Check my thread about variable buttons in the support forum for more info.
Man, this quick One Map game is causing unprecedented amounts of trouble.
I always end up having issues with things i'd never expect.

Capture.PNG

Those friggin mountains man xD
Time for my daily walk/jog ''Literally starts raining while I open the door''

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
komradiv