busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So there was a power shortage in my city and the pc turned off, when i turned it on, files were corrupted, all of them i lost everything i have been working on for months. Can't describe how frustrated i feel

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So there was a power shortage in my city and the pc turned off, when i turned it on, files were corrupted, all of them i lost everything i have been working on for months. Can't describe how frustrated i feel
I think we have all been there, remember - yer not alone in the frustration! We're here for you!

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
i really want to cry. i can't believe stuff can be lost so easily in 2021. i'm speechless

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's potentially not as hopeless as you think. There are ways to restore a lot of things. Which engine are you using?

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mz. I think I potentially destroyed everything. I looked for a solution and I found that changing game for from a new one would solve it. Then I ended up replacing a lot of files and I have nothing. I can see the json files from my maps and can't use them

ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you. If you decide to restart your project, I would recommend creating a Private Github and commit your files there in the event of future power outages etc...

I just started use MZ and it happened to me while I was evaluating the Software so i didn't have much to lose. Again Try to setup a GITHUB.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

This isn't really a tech support issue, unless you want help retrieving data from a corrupt file (and then it would be a Support issue).

Did you post all this before you told me via PM that you found the mega folder you sent me in your trash? Is it all working again from that project?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you. It's a sucky thing to deal with.

We almost all learn the lesson about backing up everything and then backing up your backups. Some of us harder than others. :(

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Had similar situation back then... Now I'm always making copies one a week. I was so mad and frustrated... But don't give up, remember that you can recreate all of this, you have experience now.

Icelord888

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This could help you, do it step by step and maybe open some corrupted json files with a text editor and compare them with a normal one:
Possible fix

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A few tips to work around such issues in the future:

Use a Version Control System

Version Control Systems (like Git, SVN, etc.) can be pretty useful when developing software. Basically, you develop your software, then "upload" the code to the version control system. If you realize you broke your code and want to go back to a previous version, you can.

Obviously, this only works if you save often. For more automatized solutions:

Use the Cloud

OneDrive has a neat "file versioning" feature. If a file gets corrupted for whatever reason, you can restore an earlier version of that file, assuming it was stored in OneDrive before it got corrupted.

Also, OneDrive is integrated into Windows since 8, so there's no need to install any additional software and it "just works".

You may also use any other cloud provider, though I don't know which ones support file versioning. If iCloud supports it, I don't know how to use it.

If you don't trust public cloud providers and you feel like your project is too confidential to be stored in there:

Use a NAS

I personally recommend a NAS from Synology, as their software is really good and easy to use.
You can set up Windows to backup to it every 10 minutes. If I'm not mistaken, Windows refuses to make backups to its own disk drive, which I wouldn't recommend doing either. I also don't recommend using USB flash drives as backup medium. USB flash drives are good for transferring data from one device to another, but they're an extremely poor choice for long time storage (I've seen so many corrupted flash drives in my life).

The reason why I recommend using a NAS over an external drive, is because it allows you greater flexibility and convenience. A NAS is basically a server; just connect it to your network, and any other PC can access it from within your network. Unlike external drives, you don't need to remember to connect it to your PC all the time.

You can also protect it behind a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) so it can finish writing to disk before automatically powering down in case of a power outage (for a full-fledged PC you might need a bigger and more expensive UPS, depending on how much power it uses).

Most NAS also offer multiple disc bays, so you can setup RAID 1, RAID 5, or RAID 6 to protect your data in case a disc dies. In addition to that, you can setup a NAS to backup to another NAS (in a different room or even a different building) to protect your data in case of a major catastrophe.

Synology NAS also support Snapshotting if you use the BTRFS filesystem. You can create snapshots every 5 minutes, which allows you to recover earlier versions of your files in case you overwrote them. This can be pretty useful for save files, especially RPG Maker MZ autosaves. That way, you can debug your plugins without having to replay the same couple of minutes all the time. Simply recover your save file from before the plugin corrupted it, and test again to see if your plugin is now fixed (though you could also just create a copy of that save file instead).

And as a little bonus, you can use your NAS as a webserver to publish your RPG Maker games online for your testers to access. This is much more convenient than packaging them and mailing them.

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I was fortunate to have asked for help with a bug and sent shaz my entire game. (from a week ago) I found that in the trashcan of mega. I found part of my game, I have been working really hard and lost about 4/5 days of work. But it's not as bad as losing everything.

I will be researching cloud versioning. And I'm going to use it. Definitely.

I want to restore my map.json files I have maps15 to 19 that won't be read. They don't appear. Is there anything I can do?

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry to hear that happend. I had a similar thing happen losing about 90% of my game aswell. It sucks.

Glad to hear you recovered most of It tho :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also, OneDrive is integrated into Windows since 8, so there's no need to install any additional software and it "just works".
This could be a really dangerous option for you. The reason is that the way that RPG Maker saves is more like a data base program than anything else. Automatically saving to the Cloud could (and, oh so frequently, has) lead to whole projects being corrupted. The usual advice here is only do a backup to the Cloud on a closed project. What I personally do is to make an .rar archive copy with the date after the title, and save that.

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok i managed to find a way to save most of my newer maps. The project wouldnt recognize them because the version was older and those maps hadn't been made. I opened mapInfos.json with notepad and just copy/ pasted lines and edited with the map numbers of the maps that were not being read, adding a coma between lines and i recovered almost everything. there is only 2 maps that i couldnt restore, one of those due to me trying to recover the map by making a new one (stupid mistake)

so basically i added this and it worked

{"id":15,"expanded":true,"name":"MAP015","order":15,"parentId":14,"scrollX":0,"scrollY":0},
{"id":16,"expanded":true,"name":"MAP016","order":15,"parentId":14,"scrollX":0,"scrollY":0},
{"id":17,"expanded":true,"name":"MAP017","order":15,"parentId":14,"scrollX":0,"scrollY":0},
{"id":18,"expanded":true,"name":"MAP018","order":15,"parentId":14,"scrollX":0,"scrollY":0},
{"id":19,"expanded":true,"name":"MAP019","order":15,"parentId":14,"scrollX":0,"scrollY":0}

now those maps are being read and they appear in the editor and i can still play the game without problems. now i just have to recreate those two maps 15 and 17 (the latter one i have no idea what the problem was, it just gave me a blank map)

KotoYama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had the same issue once. Try Recuva and search for undeleted files of your game before the power outage.

MoonBunny

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i really want to cry. i can't believe stuff can be lost so easily in 2021. i'm speechless
Not trying to beat you while you're down, but this is why the advice still to this day is "make backups". If you can recover your files, or if you start work on a new project, make that a priority. Doing it frequently is tedious, yes, but it'll be worth the distress you prevent if a similar problem happens once again.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can still recover your lost data. Use DiskDrill, leave it for a night and problem solved.
When I accidently removed partition with my project I did that and I recovered approx 90% of lost data of my project and almost entire partition.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one of those due to me trying to recover the map by making a new one (stupid mistake)
what you should have done is make a new project, add new maps in the new project until it has the same number of maps as the old one, and then copy that projects mapinfo ONLY, without copying the mapfiles themselves.
you would loose the tree structure but the maps themselves would also be accessable without editing the mapinfo directly.

Use the Cloud

OneDrive has a neat "file versioning" feature. If a file gets corrupted for whatever reason, you can restore an earlier version of that file, assuming it was stored in OneDrive before it got corrupted.
This could be a really dangerous option for you. The reason is that the way that RPG Maker saves is more like a data base program than anything else. Automatically saving to the Cloud could (and, oh so frequently, has) lead to whole projects being corrupted.

yes and no
the difference is the versioning system and it depends on how that works.

The original problem is that a database keeps its files constantly open instead of only opening them to save. And only one program can ever have an access to an open single file.

So if the cloud program tries a sync while the RM-editor is open (and has primary access to its files), then windows reports "error - you cannot access this file" to the cloud.
For a long time every cloud program responded to that by setting their files to NULL, and on the next sync after the editor was closed the local files were overwritting by the empty files, deleting all data.
However if the cloudservice has a versioning system, it would not null its files when that error happens, but create a new version that is null while keeping an old version that still has the full data.
So if you know what you're doing you can then restore the local file from null to the old version from the cloud.
But if you don't know how to do that you'll still be in trouble.

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This all sounds very complicated. i guess im just going to try and save more often a zip file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just released a new trailer for Manafinder! It's the TGS trailer! :D I'm very happy with the result!
sooo... im gonna go ahead and release all my game ideas on android as Beta. Everyone will be nice right? cause its Beta... right?...

AABS traps and heals (detail is below the YTB desc)
 I may actually have something I can put into the Boss Battle Build Bout by the time it’s due. It won’t be anything spectacular (or even great (and maybe not even good (I have no idea how to do combat (yay for nested parentheses)))), but I might have a submission none the less.
Today's my first login since Jan 2020. Time sure flies. Sorry to everyone's messages i missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arnard