Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unless I missed it (or I don't understand what you mean by the term 'files were corrupted'), I haven't seen the Blank Project solution mentioned here. Usually, only one or a few files are corrupted when something like this happens. Therefore, what you do is you create a new, clean project in RPG Maker and save, then you start copying and pasting files (mostly from your data folder) over to the new project, one by one. Say yes when it asks you if you want to overwrite the file in the new blank project, but make sure you're saving over the blank project's files, not the original corrupt project's.

After each transfer of a file (not just at the end!!), you want to open your 'blank' project, save it, and try a Test Play. If it works, that file was fine and you haven't lost it at all - by pasting it into the new project you will have everything from that file that you had lost. If it doesn't, you've found the file that was corrupted (or at least one of them) and that is the part you might need to re-do from scratch.

Maps can be a little weird because you may need to copy the MapInfos file at the same time you start copying over individual maps. I forget exactly how that works.

Through this process, you should be able to recover most of your project, usually upwards of 90%. It takes several hours, but there's no risk and it's pretty easy to do.

===

In the future, I highly recommend getting a UPS battery backup for your computer. It's basically a large battery that looks like a power strip; you plug your computer's power plug into it. It will prevent your computer shutting down from micro-outages that last just a second or two yet shut down your home's electronics (and most UPS's also protect from power surges). And if there's an extended outage, the UPS will give you several minutes (depending on its capacity) to save your files, shut them down safely, and shut down your computer before it runs out.

Depending on the capacity, features, and brand (be sure to get a trusted brand), you can find decent UPS's for anywhere from about $30 to a couple hundred dollars. Some of what you'll find in that $30-$60 range is still pretty reliable; it's not expensive.

In addition, be sure to create backup files of your projects every couple of weeks or even more often - backing up to cloud storage or a flash drive is best, but even backing up to a different folder on your computer would have saved you from this particular problem since only open files are likely to become corrupted when your computer shuts down suddenly.

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for your time. yeah, it has been said but i think it was said privately. The real probelm seemed to be Steam corrupting the files when re loging in. There seems to be an auto save feature that is supposed to sync with steam but for rpgm it seems to be a source of trouble.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to close this, as you have another thread for your second instance of this happening.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My washing machine is a supernatural being. I lost a piece of clothing in there a month ago; searched up and down, inside other clothes, nothing. It just vanished.
Today, put in a new load. When I pull it out, the missing clothing is back! And a sock was sacrificed in the process :yswt2:
thought I'd upgrade to mz from mv cause of the nice quality of life features but ****ing hell why couldn't they allow old plugins to work in it and secondly how come in over a year since it's release has there been no mz version of something so crucial as a non grid based movement plugin. I guess I'll stick with mv. (why wasnt mz just an update to mv anyway literally nothing substantial changed..)
Something might be coming...
Hallo.png
A new day for creating :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laura1999