Love Mapping Contest

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Lunarea, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jezebelthenun

jezebelthenun Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :( I'm a mapping disaster

2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mapping contests are a great way to improve at mapping. If you wanna hop it, hop in. No one should worry about their skill at mapping. We're all here to be creative. :)

3. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmhm might enter :D

4. Calamitous Magic

Calamitous Magic Calamity Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love mapping so much I spend so much time on it I may never finish a game! I will definitely have a crack at this but I'm not sure how to make a map lovey-dovey though - that might need a bit of thought.:rolleyes:

5. alberach

alberach Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd love to enter, but I haven't been able to afford MV yet. Is it ok to use VX Ace?

6. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Too busy making my game. :(

7. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd love to enter. Is parallax mapping/yanflys doodads OK or shall everything be made in engine using the editor?

8. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Lunarea I'm not clear how we actually enter our screenshots. Do we just reply to this thread and post them here?

9. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Expanding on what @Plueschkatze said about Yanfly's "doodads", is it okay to use plugins/scripts? I was thinking about choreographed fountains like I've done before but if any go offscreen(I realize this time the contest says the map should be only 1 screen in size, but I'm curious nonetheless) by default they stop animating which can really throw a wrench into the choreography without a script/plugin to prevent it.

10. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Is this MV only or are other versions welcome?

11. Roden124

Roden124 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is officially my first post on this forum, so what better way to start than a contest entry for family-friendly fun and frolic? (◕‿◕✿)

My map is a bit morbid, but so is true love sometimes. After all, can love really be eternal if no one goes the extra mile every now and then?

This entry was made solely with the default SF Inside tileset, along with a previous RPG Maker background modified to represent Thing. I'm assuming we post our screenshots in this thread; At any rate, I made this for fun. n_n

Attached Files:

12. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

To answer your questions:
    1- To enter, just post your map here in this thread.
    2- You can use any RPG Maker program to create your map.
    3- Plug-ins/scripts are accepted, too. Same rules apply as with the graphics/audio in terms of copyright. If a script/plugin is not ok for commercial use, contact the author to make sure they're ok with it being in the contest.
    4- Some parallax is ok, but don't make an entire map in Photoshop alone. Think about how you can use the RPG Maker engine in a clever way - maybe to make a map base or maybe to arrange a tileset for yourself that you can use on other maps too.

cabfe, feckyeslife and callmedan like this.
  13. SpakTheComposer

SpakTheComposer Possibly a glitch in the system Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I assume im allowed to use my own custom made characters? I wasnt clear on if I could based on the description.

14. Kyoku

Kyoku Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can we have events and character sprites on these maps? Using maybe a drawing tool to paste them there (on the grid of course) I'm just curious, or can it only be of the map... :kaoswt2:

Marsigne likes this.
  15. Zero2505

Zero2505 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This sounds fun, question about the parallax mapping? I normally use the engine to make the core of my maps, then use Photoshop to add the fine details, such as objects, paths, and etc. Would this be okay, or is that still too much Photoshop?

16. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you allow yourself to use them for commercial use, then yes. :D

17. Burgerland

Burgerland Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Since February 14th is the Feast Day of Valentine - once called Valentinemas - I made a little Catholic Church with the honored Martyr-Priest, Valentine of Rome, at the Altar, proffering himself and the Sacrament of Love to his Bridegroom Christ Jesus.

Valentinemas is Old English, which language we retain in the names Christmas (Mass of Christ) and Halloween (Eve of All Hallows), but not in the holy days Easter (from "East," for ad orientem, which practice derives from mizrah) and Saint Patrick's Day.

The Sacrament of Love is so called for many reasons, but the fundamental reason is twofold: it is Jesus' Act of Love (Self-Sacrifice) for His Wife the Church, since He died to save her life, and it is the Sign and Cause of Jesus' Nuptial Love for the Church.

By proffering himself to his Bridegroom, Valentine is imitating and participating in Jesus' Love: forgiving his enemies, doing to others what he would want them to do to him, etc. Said sacrifice of love derives from tzedakah and yehareg ve'al ya'avor.

- Suffix -mas: Etymology Dictionary, http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=christmas
    - Valentine's historicity: Roman Martyology, http://www.boston-catholic-journal....ish/roman-martyrology-february-in-english.htm
    - Sacrament of Love: Catechism of the Catholic Church 1323, http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm#1323
    - Jesus' Sacrifice: Catechism of the Catholic Church 610, http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a4p2.htm#610
    - Sign and Cause of Jesus' Love: Sacramentum Caritatas 27, http://w2.vatican.va/content/benedi...n-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis.html
    - Mizrah: Jewish Encyclopedia, http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/10893-mizrah
    - Tzedakah: Judaism 101, http://www.jewfaq.org/tzedakah.htm
    - Yehareg ve'al ya'avor: Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-sacrifice_in_Jewish_law

Attached Files:

18. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Made this 99% in the RPG Maker XP editor (the 1% is the light graphic on the fire, I quickly made that in Krita). This is all using XP's RTP (except for the aforementioned light graphic that I made). I'm fairly proud of how it turned out, especially considering how I've not done a map (almost) completely in RPG Maker in several months.
    It's intended to be a scene of a couple enjoying a little trip out to the forest for a date. The rain shows up out of nowhere, and instead of grumpily walking back to the village they shrug it off because a little sprinkle of water from the sky won't ruin their time together.
    [​IMG]
    Fun fact, this is the first time that I've made a serious attempt at mapping in RM XP.

mlogan and Gin like this.
  19. Lee Sang

Lee Sang Sang Hendrix Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A hug from him under the sun at the school hallway.
    It's technically one scene but with two different angles. (^ ^ )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Burgerland

Burgerland Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Self-explanatory.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.