Njalm2

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Hello. So I recently began tinkering around with RMVXAce, and I ran into the question of whether or not it was possible to break through elemental resistances in some ways? What I'm attempting to do is to make my primary physical juggernaut capable of breaching a monsters natural defenses against physical damage, in a way that not only nullifies it, but even turns it into a weakness.

On the off-chance it might be relevant, I've got an example foe in the Bog Pudding. A gelatinous monster that possesses an innate 50% resistance to physical damage, in my attempt to figure this out on my own, I attempted to make a state called "Shatter" that was intended to set the element rate to 150%. It didn't work, presumably because they're multiplicative, not additive as I had originally thought.

While I'd love for this to be resolved as I hope it will, I'm flexible about the solution. If there's a way to create something that accomplishes essentially the same thing, like a state that causes all attacks against the affected enemy to deal neutral damage for instance, I'd be delighted to try that out too. I'm primarily hoping for some amazing formula code that makes the entire ordeal easier.

I'd also like to know just how powerful my "Shatter" effect would need to be to break through the Bog Puddings physical resistance to the point of doing high damage. For references sake, it's got 50 defense and 50 magic defense. The 150% element rate I inflicted had pretty much no effect at all.

It's currently set at Element Rate: *200% but not even that seems to have much effect on the bog pudding. To whoever responds to this thread, here's my thanks in advance!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The easiest way to do this:

Define a new "Element" called "Juggernaut" and then assigning 150% to the "Element Rate" will do exactly what you want.  And set the juggernaut's Class or Actor to add "Juggernaut" for an Attack Element.

I think when you do an Attack, the battle engine picks the most effective Element to use, so the Juggernaut will use the Juggernaut Element.

When I have very powerful attacks, I also really like adding a small chance for an Attack State like "Stunned" which further adds to the attack's tactical use.

You could also have the Juggernaut have Special attacks which might do lower damage BUT have a good chance of inflicting harmful States like Stunned/Tripped/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
This is what's happening:

Your actor is using the skill, which only does normal damage, weakened by the elemental resistance, AND THEN it applies the state with the removed resistance. So, the FOLLOWING attack would then take the weakened resistance into play.

You have two options:

1) use a script which automatically chains skills; the first would inflict the state, the second would be an attack which takes advantage of that state. I *think* yanfly has such a script.

2) whitesphere's way, aka: the easy way: ascribe a unique element to the skill ("shattered" or "anti-slime", whatevs) to which the monster has a weakness to. You can still have it inflict the state weakening its resistance to physical damage, so the other actors can make use of it.

Njalm2

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
You were correct, Captainproton, it was indeed correctly applied on the second hit following Shatter. After that point, the target was no longer resistant towards physical damage anymore (the "Resist" popup didn't show on hit). It didn't register as a weakness though, I assume this is because 50% initial resistance when modified by my Shatter states rate of 200% equals to 2x50% = 100%?

The reason I don't use specific elements is that I don't think it'd work for characters other than the Lancer herself, and this skill is intended to open up for strategic diversity and added tactical options in battle.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!
FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoWareCo