Luchi-chan's Lighting Tutorial.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses

Hey everyone, Luchi here with another mapping-based tutorial. I think I got at least 5 requests asking how I do the lighting in my maps, so, I'm here to show you how to do all that.

I ask only a little of your patience and a few on-hand scripts to make the most of this tutorial. This tutorial, I promise you, will make your maps seem infinitely better once you get to understand the usage of tints and subtle lighting effects. Even a boring RTP map will look great after you are done reading this tut. ^^

You will need: apart from your map, obviously. I can't live without these 3 scripts.

- Woratana's Multiple Fogs script.
- Ccoa's Weather script ( I'm not sure if it avaliable for Ace, yet ),
and BulletXT's Lighting Script.

TINTS:

Tints for areas used: I use visual examples as well, so at least you know what it looks like.

The first 3 numbers stand for your Red, Green and Blue values. The last number is the amount of grey used.

Since there are quite a couple of images

Forests: -34, -51, -75, 34

Magical forest: -85, -51, -51, 17 Extra notes: Use Woratana's Multiple Fog Script, BulletXT's lighting script and Ccoa's Weather script for maximum effect. I'll add a mini tut at the bottom of this tutorial, under Extras, on how to achieve this effect.

Warm caves: -34, -51, -68, 85

Cool caves: -51, -34, -17, 68

Hot areas: 34, 0, -17, 0

Run down areas: -34, -17, -17, 85 Heh, Laine's old sprite. ^^
Portside towns: Same as above, with less grey.

Main towns: 0, -17, -34, 0 Old screen for an older ARUM project.

Sunset: 0, -34, -68, 34 You can get that sunset parallax from my resource thread. ^^

Nightfall: -102, -85, -34, 85

Warm interiors: -34, -34, -51, 0

Desolate interiors: Same as above, but the blue value is -68.

Bar/taverns: -68, -85, -102, 85 Extra note: Looks great with BulletXT's lighting script, with the TORCH setting.

Near Sepia: -34, -34, -68, 153, this setting still allows a little bit of the maps colour to show through.

Black and white: 0, 0, 0, 255

Cloudy/stormy weather: -85, -51, -34, 119 Extra Note: Looks great with AK47's realistic rain tutorial.
LIGHTING EFFECTS:

Now, many of you would have noticed the subtle light and shadow on most of the above maps. How did I do it, you ask. You willneed Woratana's Multiple Fog script for this little trick to work ( since VX and Ace don't come with Fogs, unfortunately ).
All I used was a simple cloud graphic ( I made my own, because RMXP's one is horrible ) and I'll show you how you can create your cloud graphics as well. All you need is any version of Photoshop ( version 7 or higher ). I'm using version 7. No images, unfortunately. ><

Step 1:

Open up a new document 256x256. Make sure your colours are set to the default black and white.

Step 2:

Go to Filter - Render - Clouds. Hit Ctrl-F twice.

Step 3:

Next, go to Image - Adjustments - Threshhold. A good value here would be between 95-100.

Step 4:

Go to Filter and add a Blur to soften the edges. Save it as a PNG after naming it, and put it in your Pictures folder. The 'Shade' graphic shown in some
of the below examples comes from RMXP.

You're done! ^^

EXTRAS:

This section deals with simple script calls and comments on how to get those gorgeous light effects:

Clouds: Adds light and shadow to your maps.

Just use a script call, and use the image to guide you. Of course, you will need a cloud image for this. This is only general settings. You can adjust it
as you wish. Play around with it.

Magical forest effect: This time I've added Ccoa's weather script to create those magical sparkles. Again, it's only general settings. Play around with them.

As for BulletXT's lighting script, well, the instructions are in the script.
My tip to you: Keep it subtle.

Well, that's all for now. C&C is appreciated, and if there is anything I left out, please inform me, I'll be happy to help you.

SUPPORT:
Liked this? Put this in your sig and spread the love!
( Still needs to be updated ).

[/URL]Until next time, this is Luchi signing out. ^^

Edit: Man, some of those screens are real old. 0_o

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaneque

Prince of Strange Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is an excellent tutorial. Your example maps are gorgeous, and your tints are awesome. (I'm running out of complimentary words here >.<)

Very good tutorial, and I'm sure this will help a lot.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
@Kumori and paradoxum: I'm just doing my bit for the community. I figured I'd just share what I gleaned after 3 solid years of mapping ( not long, but... ). Probably the other question that keeps getting posed to me is: Do you parallax?

No, I don't. My maps are 100% done in the editor. :)

Fafnir

And yet, these hands will never finish anything.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
An excellent tutorial. I have to agree on the superb choice of tints.

Do you parallax?No, I don't. My maps are 100% done in the editor. :)
This gives me hope.

Seanna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Nice tutorial, Luchino-chan~

Your lighting effect and mapping are awesome, I like the night effect.

It really look like so real :)

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
@Seanna: Thanks. :) I think I'll port this tutorial over to RMN as well.

TrogButtz

Hamster Hamster! ~~Dance!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This. If I could like this multiple times I would, but I can't so I just liked all your comments instead!

Awesome tutorial!

Genii Benedict

Supervillain, Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a great tutorial. I'm pretty new here, but I can't seem to find the resources you mentioned. (BulletXT's lighting script was the one I was searching for, specifically.) I've searched multiple forum subsections, and used the search feature liberally. A little help is appreciated!!!

JabberWonky

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would also like some help finding the resources mentioned. Can someone help some bruthas out (assuming Genii Benedict is male...)? Some links would be appreciated. I tried Googling them but to no avail. I would really like to spice up my maps.

JabberWonky

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I found the Woratan Multiple Fog script here:

http://www.rpgmakerv...?showtopic=7797

Looks like I may have also found the BulletXT Lighting Script here:

http://www.rpgmakerv...22

And... last but not least, I found this:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=5812.0

Which appears to be someone's port of Ccoa's script from XP to VX. The author claims to not be very good at scripting, and there is talk of some bugs in the comments. Don't know if they ever got fixed. Does anyone have anything beter than this?

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
@JabberWonky: Here you go. They are Mack's tiles. I think I'll include the link in the OP.

http://vxresource.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/the-real-macks-tileset/

I'm not too sure where I got the Weather Script myself ( I started up my project back in November 2010 ), so some of the links I used back then may be broken now. But it's completely optional. You don't need to use it. :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm having some trouble following this tutorial. Would it be possible for you to make a download of a project just containing the forest map? (not the magical forest one) That way I could see exactly what I need to do in the editor. Also, could I see what the cloud image should look like once finished? I don't think I'm making mine right.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
@pxlgraphic: Sure, here's one of mine. You can use it if you want.

I'll get a demo up as well when I get some free time ( busy with other stuff right now. :] ).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks. I'll see what I can do with this in the mean time, because it is a bit different then mine.

Wazer95

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Englsih
Primarily Uses
Every time that I try to run the game, I get this error. Sorry, I'm new to RPGVXAce scripting, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ignore my stupidity xD After putting the scripts in the RIGHT places, I get this error when starting my game...

I'm answering my own questions! But I do have one I havent found... Why doesn't the image move?

Anime Girl

Beginner Artist (I'm here to storm the world) :D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
Is there anybody that could provide the shade for this tutorial becuase I don't have the proper program to make my own, so could anybody share there shade.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Look up a few posts. It's already there.

Anime Girl

Beginner Artist (I'm here to storm the world) :D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
Can someone help me, because everytime I try to do what Luchi said, this window pops up when I playtest. http://imgur.com/hAiUp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zinn77