Ludum Dare + RPG Maker

Entering Ludum Dare w/ RPG Maker

• Good idea (Give it your best shot)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Bad idea (They are waaay too pro, bro)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care. (what more do you want me to say?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all I hope I posted this in the right place and/or hope I'm not reposting something someone else has already discussed (Please let me know if that is the case but anyway!)

I've been a big fan of the Ludum Dare game dev comp for several years now (for those of you that don't know it is held once every 4 months and it is a weekend competition where game devs make a short game in said amount of time).

And this year I think I'm finally going to give it a shot. Although, most participants code their game from the ground-up, I noticed in the rules that it isn't a requirement and software such as RPG Maker can be used. Entries are required to submit their source code and apparently you just submit your uncooked RPG Maker project file(s).

So my question is, has anybody tried this before? (I haven't really seen any RPG Maker entries)
Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this...

And if you're interested there is still time to sign-up:
https://ldjam.com/

Thanks guys, the RPG Maker community is the best in the game dev world!!!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I once looked into it, but the one I checked out required you to make all the art and music from the ground up too. So no RTP assets were allowed. That might be why no one has done it, as it would require you to make a tileset in 48 hours. Though, maybe it could be done with parallax mapping...

NinJaRed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I once looked into it, but the one I checked out required you to make all the art and music from the ground up too. So no RTP assets were allowed. That might be why no one has done it, as it would require you to make a tileset in 48 hours. Though, maybe it could be done with parallax mapping...
Yea that definitely is still a requirement (custom art, music, sfx, etc) although if that is something you can do, you could spend the majority of the time working on that stuff and since rpgmaker takes care of the major "coding" for you (which I'm sure is the bulk of time spent by most of the participants) you'd probably have a pretty polished game by the end. Dare I say, you might actually be at an advantage using rpgmaker instead of gamemaker studio (or whatever they use)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I usually don't enjoy survival games, but I absolutely love Conan Exiles.
Basically Everyone: Dont make a long game the first time. Me: I guess i'll make a REALLY long game in that case >:p
I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webbmichael