Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Luke Daimont: Absolute Mayhem

Synopsis

This game has been created over the course of roughly a week for the Trials of MZ event. As such, it doesn't use any plugins and only RTP assets (with self-edits). Available for Windows and macOS.

When the evil Dr. Psyko threatens to conquer the world with his army of mutants, robots and mercenaries, there's only one man who can stop him... Luke Daimont, a bonafide action hero! Guide Luke on his mission in this sidescrolling SHMUP platformer!

Controls:

On Foot:

Enter: To open chests and read notes on the wall. Face the player character towards them first.

Arrow keys: Walk and turn in the chosen direction.

Jump: Q (Jumps in the direction the character is facing, Right, Left, Up or Down. Jumps 3 tiles if facing left or right, 2 tiles if facing up or down)

Long Jump: Hold Shift + Q (Like jump, 4 tiles left or right, 3 tiles up or down)

Shoot: W (Shoots in the direction the character is facing, Right, Left, Up or Down. Can also be performed while jumping or falling).

Combat commands:

All nonboss enemies only have 1 HP, so damage does not matter. The game uses the active time progress battle variant, so quick reactions are needed to minimize HP loss.

Snipe: Hits 1 enemy, minimal chance to miss.

Full-Auto: Hits 4 random enemies, but 50% chance to miss.

Item: You can use a First Aid Kit to heal.

Motorbike:

Change lanes with the Up and Down arrow keys.

Press Q to jump forward to avoid enemies and obstacles.

Press W to shoot.

Random notes:

Opening chests restores 10 HP and gives you 100 Score.

Shooting an enemy gives you 50 Score.

Winning a turn-based battle against an enemy awards you 25 Score for each enemy in the troop.

At the end of each level, you gain 2 Score for each point of HP you have.

If you lose all your HP, you also lose 500 Score.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
TitleScreen.png
Forest.png
ClownBossNew.png
ClownBossNew2.png
Laboratory.png
Mercenaries.png
MotorbikeRoad.png
Mountains.png
RopeClimb.png

DOWNLOAD LINK
RPGMaker.net Page: Here

Attachments

Last edited:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Version 1.1 released, jumping now works correctly even with Always Dash on.

Caio_Urtiga

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nice game man, I played until the clown boss. I think you should remove the turn based combat and leave only the platformer combat, touching an enemy and triggering a turn based combat feels bad. I want to make a platformer on MZ too, do you mind sharing your scripts and whatever you used to make the platformer gameplay?

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nice game man, I played until the clown boss. I think you should remove the turn based combat and leave only the platformer combat, touching an enemy and triggering a turn based combat feels bad. I want to make a platformer on MZ too, do you mind sharing your scripts and whatever you used to make the platformer gameplay?
I don't think there's anything wrong with battles after touching an enemy, there are platformer/RPG hybrids that use this type of setup. I think the biggest issue here is that the default charge speed for the Active Time Progress battles is too slow for this game. It's pretty easy to change, but the original event didn't allow plugins and had heavy restrictions on script calls, so I wasn't sure if that would be allowed.

Well, I can change it now I suppose :)

As for how it was done, there's not really much to share. Due to the event, this game uses no plugins and only basic script calls. Making a platformer would be much better with plugins, so just browse the MZ forum section here and see if there's anything that would help you with that.

But to tell you how I did it, it was mostly event commands with a few basic script calls. This tutorial should help and since I've finished the game, MZ got a document detailing the basic script calls just like MV, so you can use that too.

Jumping is done via a parallel common event with a lot of conditional branches. Basically, the Jumping parallel common event has a Conditional Branch at the top where the game checks if the jumping button has been triggered (I think I made the jump button Page Down or whatever its called in the editor). If the button has been triggered, the game then checks if the player is dashing or not and then sets the correct movement route for the player according to that. I made the movement route player a bunch of 1 tile jumps. The reason why the player doesn't immediately just jump to the destination is because RPG maker would consider the player's location to immediately be at the destination even before the sprite lands there and as such, the collision with enemies (especially flying enemies) wouldn't work. Now, if you use Jump, you don't need to set through, since jump ignores tile passability, but otherwise you will need to have Through ON on the first line of the movement route and Through OFF at the last line.

After the movement is finished, the game then calls the Falling common event. This event checks the region ID of the tile the player ended up on. Now, I gave the tiles that the player isn't supposed to be standing on Regional marks with the number of the region signifying how far down from the tile is the nearest platform to stand on. So a tile above the platform would use region 1, one above that region 2 etc. The Falling event would then check the regional mark of the event. If the region ID wasn't 0 (meaning, the tile had a region assigned), the game would then call the suitable movement route that would drop the player to the nearest platform. The movement route would need to have Through ON at the start and Through OFF at the end, same for Direction Fix On/Off.

Now, the event is a bit more complex than that, to take into account things like the player shouldnt be allowed to jump through the ground or walls, but this is the basic structure.

For the projectile attacks, each map had a Projectile event, that was basically just a graphic. Then, there was a Parallel common event for attacking. This would teleport the Projectile event 1 tile before the player in the direction he was facing and then set the appropriate movement route for the projectile, at the end of which, it would be teleported back to a part of the map not visible to the player. Each map then had a parallel event that checked the position of the projectile event and compared it with the position of every enemy of the map. If the Projectile event was at the same tile as an enemy, the Projectile would teleport below the playable area (thus not being visible to the enemy) and turn on a self switch of the enemy event with a basic script call. Each enemy had an event page where it would change graphic to the KO'd sprite and no longer triggered a random encounter when touched..

Now, due to how I set the system up, the projectile event had to have the same ID on every map (not an ideal solution, but the best I came up with during that week).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Version 1.2 released!

- The speed of turn based combat has been significantly increased.

- The Clown boss fight has been expanded a bit, featuring a new hazard to be avoided by jumping or moving out of the way.

Nova By Creative Robot

Creator of NOIM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This must be real fun to make! I may try to work on something like this if ever I take a break from my own project.

I imagine myself using a proximity script for an agro system for this.

Plus region common events for better disposal of projectiles.

And an event spawner to summon a bunch of cows to slay just like in diablo 2

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This must be real fun to make! I may try to work on something like this if ever I take a break from my own project.

I imagine myself using a proximity script for an agro system for this.

Plus region common events for better disposal of projectiles.

And an event spawner to summon a bunch of cows to slay just like in diablo 2
Yeah, it was pretty fun making this, can only recommend attempting something similar yourself :) Obviously, plugins help a great deal!

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Version 1.2.5 and macOS version released!

- Enemies now use an evented collision system instead of the default Event Touch, so the collision of player with enemies works much better than it used to.

- There's now a Timer in the platforming stages, giving a bonus score depending on how fast the player completes the stage.

Also added a macOS version.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inkdrips