[Luna Engine Item text color on menu]

Discussion in 'VXAce Luna Engine Support' started by Dreadshadow, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So there are several scripts out there to add color to a text in a menu, that refers to an item.

For example a common sword could have white letters,

an uncommon one could have green letters,

a rare one yellow,

a very rare purple,

and a legendary item red.

So can we do this using Luna Engine?

If no, is anyone planning on making an add on for Luna Engine to do that?

I feel like it is missing or something.

Please pardon me and correct me if I am wrong, I still dig into this baby!  :cutesmile:

It would be nice for instance on a configuration to add item ids in some category arrays, and a coloring for every array.

So when the item id is found in a specific array it gets text color and RGSS3 or Luna overrides draw it using that color.

Is it possible?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
    Susan likes this.
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Does those scripts don't work with Luna?

3. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    they work for this if I remember this depend how they write the system

4. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh they do I guess.

I just wanted to know if such capability comes out of the box somewhere.

If not, it would be a great feature to be added, since Luna Engine is a GUI Engine script collection product.

Having such a huge collection of scripts and feeling that you need something extra to do exactly what you wanna do, isn't nice.

That's why I ask. It feels weird. There must be such a feature built in somewhere. Right?   :|

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    We tried to make it compatible with other scripts since we can't do everything. 

If we do everything then what's the point of making it compatible with other scripts?

It'll be nice if every major updates, like new features such as this, we do we can charge people so we can keep adding onto it but no we don't. 

Whatever you spent on the engine is one time.

Another thing about your request, what'll probably happen to make it as simple as possible is to have notetags bound to it so we know what kind of item it is. Then we'll have to do some internal stuff that changes the font settings you set (which could be font.default_color or something UNLESS you hard coded an RGBA one) and overwrite that one. I'm sure a better scripter can say stuff about this. The point is, when you request stuff like that, it's a conscious design decision that affects on how things work. 

Dreadshadow likes this.
  6. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm correct.

So maybe having that outside of the engine could be a wise thing to do after all.

Oh well, it's not something I can't figure out how to do anyway and I started learning Ruby so... no beef here.

I just saw a script request by another and I said "Hey, I got Luna, this would be a piece of cake for Luna" and I was looking where to modify that, but didn't found a thing :p

That's what I was asking about. 

Anyway, GREAT Engine. I can't wait to show to people what I will make (on the feedback thread).

7. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia:

Dreadshadow made a good suggestion about being able to change item text colour in the menu, but I can see how it is not directly related to GUI modifications. ^^

@Dreadshadow:

I think that Luna Engine is, first and foremost, a GUI editor with some compatibility for certain scripts built into it.

If you haven't already, maybe you try this script for displaying different item text colour depending on rarity (or other concepts):

http://himeworks.com/2014/03/item-rarity/

It works with Luna Engine Base scripts.

I think that the Luna Engine was made this way because it was meant to support as many third party scripts as humanly and (computer) logically possible.

There are only so many ways a scripter can write a script that provides similar features before it starts to look like plagiarism of someone else's script.

Most of the scripts that are incompatible with Luna Engine, are those that changes related scenes (graphical modifications) or overwrites the same methods as what the Luna Engine uses.

Maybe one day we can commission Archeia or Yami to create add-on features to the Luna Engine.

Marsigne, Dalph and Dreadshadow like this.
  8. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Susan! :3

Thanks for your suggestions.

My bad, I did not already mentioned it.

I will be using @Modern Algebra's Global Text Codes script.

You just set to false the manual use, and you can use \c as you could use it in event text messages to color something.

It is 100% compatible, I personally tested it and it is a great script.

You can find it at:

rmrk.net

Susan likes this.