Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I picked the Desktop Application only as opposed to Desktop and Web Application. But I can see the confusion now because of application. Let's just assume that we're only doing it for graphics and images then as Desktop Application implies since it's free there. Neuropol is free according to the site, not donationware, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The best way to learn something is by doing it.  These little comix tutorials are great to try when you have RPG Maker open and poke around with the configuration to see what it does.

After all, that's the biggest benefit of RPG Maker over other game engines --- that you can learn and do a lot with it by poking at things, running the game, seeing the effects almost immediately, then changing it again.  Going from "made configuration change in Luna" to "Rerunning game to see the effects" takes maybe a minute at most, so it's pretty painless to make a tweak and retry it until it works.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The best way to learn something is by doing it.  These little comix tutorials are great to try when you have RPG Maker open and poke around with the configuration to see what it does.

After all, that's the biggest benefit of RPG Maker over other game engines --- that you can learn and do a lot with it by poking at things, running the game, seeing the effects almost immediately, then changing it again.  Going from "made configuration change in Luna" to "Rerunning game to see the effects" takes maybe a minute at most, so it's pretty painless to make a tweak and retry it until it works.
You are right but please allow me to say that in my opinion the biggest benefit of RPG Maker over other game engines, is its community. People behind it and all of us in this forum (and not only)

starcrescendo

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
YES This is awesome - for someone who wasn't sure exactly what this script did and how easy it would be to use, this is great. I didn't realize if it was a separate application before or what - NOW I get it!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You are right but please allow me to say that in my opinion the biggest benefit of RPG Maker over other game engines, is its community. People behind it and all of us in this forum (and not only)
I agree 100%, but I think I already said that, so I thought I'd be repeating myself.

But, yeah, the community is what makes RPG Maker so valuable.  For those who are short on money, there are awesome artists who will sometimes release the most amazing resources for free (for non-commercial use).  And there's a ton of people willing to help with almost anything from "How do I do this?" to "Any idea where I can find a sprite to do X?"  Sometimes people will even create a custom sprite, on request, for free.

The whole "Free RPG Maker Resource Bundle" showcases what the community can do, and even though it's a pretty huge bundle, I bet Lunarea had a ton of more members who wanted to add to the bundle and would if it were, say, an annual thing.

Traverse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I picked the Desktop Application only as opposed to Desktop and Web Application. But I can see the confusion now because of application. Let's just assume that we're only doing it for graphics and images then as Desktop Application implies since it's free there. Neuropol is free according to the site, not donationware, etc.
There is no "Desktop Application" license or "Web Application" license, there are "Desktop" and "Web" licenses that allow for the font to be used in graphics (assumingly produced or displayed on a desktop) and embedded in websites respectively, both of which explicitly refer to computer applications and games as an "Other Usage" not covered by those licenses.

Neuropol may be "free" according to the website you linked, but said website also instructs the user to check the creator's page for details and on the creator's website the only vendors apparently endorsed are Fontspring and MyFont, both of which charge for an Application license (although prices differ on both sites and MyFont offers a Desktop/Web License for free).

It would seem to be OK to use these fonts in comic strips and other stand-alone graphics, or maybe for personal viewing pleasure in a tutorial project that will never see the light of day, but usage in a commercially distributed game maybe a problem.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm, I'll be providing a PSD copy after I'm done so hopefully this issue will be solved. I would look for alternate fonts (what is with these conflicting terms of use?) but my time is short as it is ;w;

Tutorial continuation will come up soon~

sbloom85

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been using the event coding since RPG Maker 2000, so I'm a complete dummy when it comes to RGSS scripting. Looking forward to the next part.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It has come into my attention, based on Steam and general feedack, that the days I have spent answering support questions, creating tutorials that are easier to understand, or freebies has proven useless and largely unappreciated. I have come to realize that no matter how much I want some to learn, any format I'll do is not good enough. I have spent days creating in between real life commitments, work on RMW, commissions, answering support questions, etc. and it is becoming impossible for me to attend to the needs of certain users. Thus, I plan to cancel the making of this tutorial altogether and will not make any more tutorials in any form henceforth until I have attended the needs of certain individuals (e.g. Mikepjr). To those who are genuinely confused and has given me the chance to guide them through the use of this product, I thank you and I apologize for the problems and speed of my support. I really do want to do more but it has become impossible as of now. I am the only person that is supporting everyone and my time is limited as of late.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but I cannot guarantee that I can answer them in a timely manner as I have to do more bug fixing with my partners. Godspeed.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Archeia, I can truly understand what you mean and how you feel about it.

Also I can understand that there are certain people that, well...

gimme a moment, I try to make an elegant expression...

oh, yes, there are certain people that do not understand some things about you, your tutorials, this forum and the whole freaking internet in general:

1] Nobody can force you, or anyone else here, to make a tutorial.

2] You don't owe to make a tutorial to anybody. Neither you or anyone else.

3] You and the rest of tutorilal authors here do this, because we want to do it.

4] You create art and spend time to see how this will work the best way for the majority of the people here.

5] You expect at least a "thank you" from someone who is willing to learn and is helped.

6] You or anyone else is not a servant of anybody.

This series of tutorials you were making on this thread was brilliant.

I would like to see more and thanks to a few people that don't understand the fundamentals on generosity, good manners and netiquette, made me sad during Christmas. It's not you who made me sad, I watched the whole drama being unfolded on several threads.

What makes me sad is that people never lose a chance to show their worst face. Especially on a forum as it seems.

I will figure out Luna Engine alone. After all I can read code and understand it.

But I am sad that a lot of people will lose the opportunity to learn how-to,. thanks to a bunch of... other people.

I want to state that I respect you, and I respect your decision to stop what you did here.

I do not intend to show disrespect or undermine your decision, but I will open a new thread to ask the community to show you, that you ARE appreciated and also show you that there are people who WANT to see more from you on this tutorial idea you had. I have faith on this community.

Merry Christmas @Archeia.

Merry Chrstmas EVERYONE.

sbloom85

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My biggest issue is that I never took the time to really learn how to use RGSS. If I did, my outlook on the Luna Engine would be different.

You do what you need to do, Archeia. Myself and others should be more appreciative of the work you put into LE. I'm going to try to get myself more familiar with RGSS programming, then I'll monkey around with it some more.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and happy New Year, everyone!

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Amen, Dreadshadow!

There's nothing I can add to what you have just said.

I'm just sorry that this tutorial may never be completed because a lot of people did not give it the chance that it deserved, especially all the hard work that obviously went into making it.

Hope you will be able to have a good rest, Archeia.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't even know this tutorial existed until I saw Dreadshadow's thread. Who are these obnoxious people complaining about helpful tutorials? Seriously though, it's just best to ignore people like that, Archeia, because there are many others who do appreciate these tutorials. I'll be giving them all a read myself.

Acolon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portugues
Primarily Uses
This tutorial was awesome and like Dreadshadow said it is apreciated. Don´t let these bunch of impolite and ungrateful *******s stop you. It is best just to ignore some comments keep doing what you think is the right way to help the users of the engine.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Oh so this is where I should look to translate in French!

:p

*flees before someone throws shoes*

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the tuts. I read the manual many times but in my lack of sleep haze i still dint understand it. I appreciate your efforts. This got me in the right direction.

Mako

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This really sucks, whole reason why I bought the luna engine is to have a menu like that (my game has a futuristic theme) just great...

should probably unpin this now nobody needs a tut how to position a window or two. =/

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
 [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]@Mako [/SIZE]I might actually be able to help you out.

But you should just realax a bit and tell me [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]what exactly do YOU need to do with Luna, instead of stating that "this sucks" just because it doesn't solve your problem.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]So shoot me with any question, I think I almost figured this out.[/SIZE]

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Zaj
Okay anothe stupid question from me. Why is when everyone's explaining the scripts in the scriptlets, it chnge into green. how do i know when do i code without knowing whether its turning green or not
So I realized that I really just don't have enough time to make videos. However I don't mind clicking stream and just letting people watch me work on my game. I don't really have a good microphone... okay it's a $20 headset so it's terrible, and I have no web cam. So the stream would largely be royalty free music and me working, with minor interaction. I guess the question is, would that actually interest anybody?
Child base test two, flappin' their arms like it's VX Ace.
ChildTest-02.gif
Zaj
Hi quick question. Is it possible for me to make a custom VXAce script without learning some bulkiness of Ruby?
Never Forget you've Got a friend, Even you feel your alone, Jesus Christ is there to Love and Be with you when your alone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rauro