Luna Engine Tutorial + Freebie

signum1221

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@captainbinary

Im not sure how to continue and make the battler look as it should but im not in a hurry.

Thanks

Edit: dont worry about command and gold window.

Sin título.png

Last edited by a moderator:

captainbinary

Programmer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@captainbinary

Im not sure how to continue and make the battler look as it should but im not in a hurry.

Thanks

Edit: dont worry about command and gold window.
I have managed to get the battler backgrounds positioned onto the right with the select image being displayed properly over the top, i have not yet played around with moving the bars and information. However once you understand one section, the rest kinda follow the same principles so its easy enough to play and see what happens.

Here is my code for the BATTLER_STATUS

# ----------------------------------------------------------------- # Battler Status involves modifying the window where the actor status is # shown. Use this to increase or decrease the limit the amount of actors # displayed. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- BATTLER_STATUS = { # Sizes settings :width => 341, # Change the width of the window. :height => 105, # Change the height of the display. :max_width => 341, # Used for centering horizontal HUD :max_height => 420, # Used for centering vertical HUD :vertical => true, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # :lunatic = set to true to enable lunatic mode. The settings below # won't be applied except for STATUS_WINDOW settings. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :lunatic => false, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # The amount of actors displayed on the menu. # Scrolling is available if vertical = false. # Make sure that :col_max and :limit_page have the same values. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :limit_page => 4, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # :x refers to the horizontal axis. Based on the Cartesian Plane. # Negative values (e.g. -1) mean they would move to the left, while # Positive values mean they would move to the right. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :x => 0, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # :y refers to the horizontal axis. Based on the Cartesian Plane. # Negative values (e.g. -1) mean they would move up, while # Positive values mean they would move to the down. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :y => 12, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # :z refers to the item’s display priority. Think of it as layers when # you use an image program or when mapping in RPG Maker. The higher the # value, the higher it will be drawn/drawn above other items. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :z => 350, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # These offsets can only be used string for eval. # It converts the uoted string into a function with its values that can # be called up to be used/applied. Offset Values refer to how much you # want to nudge the window display without affecting its base x and y. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :offset_x => 254, # index is actor index in party :offset_y => 0, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # This function is the distance between the objects. # Can be negative or positive values. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :spacing => 0, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # Enable centering for the Battler/Actor/Player UI? # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :center => false, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # The main settings is for the battler UI. This allows you to add a # custom picture background for it. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :main => { :enable => true, # Enable main settings? True/False # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # Offset Values refer to how much you want to nudge the window # display without affecting its base x, y, and z. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :offset_x => 6, :offset_y => 5, :offset_z => 0, :filename => "Battler_Status", # Picture Filename. :collapse => false, # Enable collapse options? :collapse_type => 1, # 0 - Like Battler; 1 - Grey out. :highlight => false, # Highlight when selected. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # When enabled, you can set custom graphics based on Actor ID/Index. # filename + "_ActorID" (Example: MainHUD_1) # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :base_actor => false, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # When enabled, you can set custom graphics based on Class ID/Index. # filename + "_ActorID_ClassID" (Example: MainHUD_1_1) # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :base_class => false, }, # End main. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # The select settings is if you want to add a picture graphic # when selecting an actor/battler. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :select => { :enable => true, # Enable select settings? True/False # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # Offset Values refer to how much you want to nudge the window # display without affecting its base x, y, and z. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :offset_x => 0, :offset_y => 0, :offset_z => 10, :filename => "Battler_Status_Selected", # Picture Filename. :frame => 1, # How many frames does the picture have? :fps => 4, # Wait time Frames Per Second. # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # When enabled, you can set custom graphics based on Actor ID/Index. # filename + "_ActorID" (Example: MainHUD_1) # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :base_actor => false, # ----------------------------------------------------------------- # When enabled, you can set custom graphics based on Class ID/Index. # filename + "_ActorID_ClassID" (Example: MainHUD_1_1) # ----------------------------------------------------------------- :base_class => false, }, # End select.Now just looking at this isn't going to help anyone, so let me break down the changes I had made.First off because I changed the game resolution to 640 x 480, I edited the width, height and their maximum values.

# Sizes settings:width => 341, # Change the width of the window.:height => 105, # Change the height of the display.:max_width => 341, # Used for centering horizontal HUD:max_height => 420, # Used for centering vertical HUD:vertical => true,To get the width and height, I looked at the battler background and based the values of that. To get the maximum height (Using vertical display of battlers) I had to multiply the height by 4. Why 4?I chose 4 because 420 gives me a nice amount of padding between the battlers and the edges of the screen.

As long as the maximum height does not go over your maximum game resolution (In this case, 480)

This sets up the window, now we have to position it.

:x => 0,:y => 12,:z => 350,:offset_x => 254,:offset_y => 0,While playing around I noticed that offset_x actually positions the window placement, and x moves the window to the left or right of its position.So in my example above I am placing the battlers window 254 pixels to the right and 12 pixels down from the top.

Next we go onto the placement and setting of the actual battler background:

:main => { :enable => true, :offset_x => 6, :offset_y => 5, :offset_z => 0, :filename => "Battler_Status", :collapse => false, :collapse_type => 1, :highlight => false,I have changed the filename to Battler_Status as the tutorial discussed, I then offset the background image by a few pixels to the right and down from the top again. This was so the selector image would overlap properly. I have set highlight to false and collapse to false, as we don't need these.Now for the selector image:

:select => { :enable => true, :offset_x => 0, :offset_y => 0, :offset_z => 10, :filename => "Battler_Status_Selected", :frame => 1, :fps => 4,What I have done here is tell the offset of this image to be 0, because the image is ever so slightly larger than the battler background. And we had made the offset on the battler background to work with this.Everything else is easy enough, we have a offset_z value of 10 so it will show above the battler background.

I find this is all the information i needed in order to start working confidently with editing the GUI windows and screens.

I did run into a small hiccup, when selecting your character for say skills, status, etc. a large rectangular box would highlight over the new battler status in a very ugly way.

To remove this, change some code just above BATTLER_STATUS in the STATUS_WINDOW section

:cursor => true,Change this to false,the cursor is just a highlighted rectangle to show who your cursor (selected character) is over. However with our own custom selected image, we have no need for this.

I know this seems like a lot to take in, and I really hope it makes sense. Not been awake for more then 30 minutes when writing this.

Should really drink that tea first.

Either way I hope this helps you signum1221 and anyone else having issues carrying on.

oToToToToTo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Super helpful post captainbinary, I've tried replicating the image Archeia (I like your prof pic btw) has in their first post but I've been unsuccessful in changing the command windows text, is Lunatic necessary to make changes to that area (these attempted edits are just being performed in the base luna engine without any changes or modifications at all).

captainbinary

Programmer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey Warmaster Gibbon, i am planning to work on changing the text in the WINDOW_COMMANDS over the course of this week, after playing around with the rest of the BATTLERS window.

When i have learnt how to successfullly edit and change this i will make another post like above, explaining how and why i changed what i did, and what effects it had.

Since that post i have not had a chance to open up RM, but i will have some free time tomorrow. So fingers crossed.

Acolon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portugues
Primarily Uses
Hello Archeia how is the tutorial going?

KeyToTruth12

Grammar Nazi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Waiting for the next part of the tutorial.~

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Just remind me like that... Is that something in the .RTP folder or just installed by default when I downloaded Luna Engine from Steam?

I just open all font folders of the demos of Luna Engine and gets OpenSans with all of its version and it looks nothing like Nikaia. :( (

Last edited by a moderator:

jknightandkarr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just looked at this tutorial and i find it very easy to understand. Thank you for this!

Joe

jknightandkarr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do hope that there will be more tutorials to come. It made understanding this engine childsplay almost.

Joe

SilverShay

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey @Archeia
the download for the tutorial doesn't work anymore. Can you reupload it please?
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image i made on mon-die morning
Everyday I'm hustlin' hustlin'
And now I'm wondering if I only made progress in learning this engine because I was procrastinating on everything else I need to do...
from twitter:
Therapist: and what do we do with our trauma?
Me: give it to a character
Character: NO
other devs: *carefully plan the battle balance (with actual calculation in sheet)* | Me: *randomly throws numbers and skills to see which works*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltosier