Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1280x720_LS_Wallpaper3.png

SYNOPSIS

In a world of magic and fantasy, follow the journey of Azel and his companions in the huge empire of Ortu Solis. Explore the five vast provinces, discover their unique culture, and complete their numerous quests!

Son of the deceased emperor, Azel, 7 years old at the time, witnessed the murder of his parents by the hands of the Black Knight during a coup d'État staged by a group of rebel nobles. The seven years war that followed the regicide between loyalists and rebels ended by the separation of the empire of Ortu Solis in two. During that time, Azel was sent to live and grow up outside of the empire with a secret clan of oriental fighters called the Magus clan, safe from all the tumultuous politics of the empire. With the Magus clan, Azel learned how to fight and how to take care of himself.

12 years after the coup d'État, Azel decides to return to his empire for vengeance against the Black Knight who killed his parents. During his journey, he will gain companions, make new friends, meet new people, rediscover his empire, and most of all, he will learn the true meaning of being a descendant of the imperial family of Ortu Solis.

GAME INFO

Game engine: RPG Maker MV
Current version: 1.0.02
Genre: Fantasy, JRPG
Price: USD$ 9.99
Available on: Steam
Demo Link: https://kamo-studio.itch.io/luna-sanctus-demo

TRAILER

SCREENSHOTS
LS_Screenshot_01.png

LS_Screenshot_02.png

LS_Screenshot_04.png

LS_Screenshot_05.png

LS_Screenshot_06.png

LS_Screenshot_07.png

LS_Screenshot_08.png

LS_Screenshot_09.png

LS_Screenshot_10.png

LS_Screenshot_11.png

LS_Screenshot_12.png

KEY FEATURES
Battle System (unique):

The battle system in Luna Sanctus is unique because I coded it completely from the ground myself! Although it retains very traditional JRPG aspects such has the turn based battle, the ATB bars, and other features, the battle scene is formed by a grid on which heroes can move and where skills can have various AoE. Combined with the ability system, the battle system is a very engaging and fun process! (see the screenshots and the trailer for more on the battle system)

Ability System (unique):

The ability system in Luna Sanctus is another unique aspect of the game that I completed coded (like most of the key features here). It isn't far from traditional ability systems in JRPGs, but it allows the player to customize their characters to their liking and their play style. There are 2 types of abilities: hero abilities buff the hero in general, and skill abilities buff a particular skill of a hero. Abilities in this game aren't "activate to get the effect", but they have to leveled up to increase their effect. For example, the vitality hero ability increases the hero's maximum health point by +40 per level and it has a maximum level of 30, meaning it can add +1200 HP.

Quest System:

Like many bigger rpg games, this game features a detailed quest system similar to The Witcher 3. Quests are divided into 3 categories: main quests, side quests, and contract.

Main quests are mandatory quests that are tied with the main story. They are gained automatically and completing them will progress the main story.

Side quests are optional quests that follow the story of an important character or that follows an event. They usually are gained automatically as the story progresses, but some require extra work to gain, requiring to talk to certain characters, completing certain quests, etc.

Contracts are optional quests that NPCs post in their local pub. They can be unlocked by accepting the quest at a Quest Office in the pub of a village or city. Contracts follow the request of the NPC and usually explore the game's lore rather than the characters.

This system allow for the game to grow even after the release by adding additional side quests and contracts. Just to give a sense of scope, there is more side quests and contracts than there are main quests!

Skit System:

Skit scenes resembles visual novel scenes. They are essentially a dialogue scene between party members that display all speaking characters on the screen (bust image) while animating them while they speak. The dialogue can be a story related event, like it can be simple funny chit-chat. Skits occur throughout the whole game and can be triggered everywhere (villages, cities, dungeons, fields, etc.).

(example, sorry for talking on top of it and skipping the dialogue lol)

Detailed Mini-Map:

Not a unique or original feature, but the mini-map that I coded gives the player a lot of information, such as tile passage, inn locations, shop locations, save points, and it also tells the player where to go for the next objective. Check out the last screenshot for more information and to see how it looks.

Others:

Most of the systems in the game are traditional JRPG scenes, but since I coded almost everything from the ground it is different than the default scenes in RPG Maker MV. All the Menus were redone, the crafting, options, game records, bestiary, item collector, etc.

SOUNDTRACK
The soundtrack is one of the aspects I'm the proudest about this game. I've composed ALL the tracks myself. As I professional level classical musician (I was giving piano recitals and I was an orchestra conductor), I made sure to give the game's soundtrack the best an RPG Maker game can get for as a soundtrack. The game's full soundtrack is more than 1 hour and 44 minutes long and is formed of 100% orchestrated tracks (full orchestra every for every track). You can listen to the full soundtrack on youtube:

BUG REPORT
The game WILL have bugs, especially since I've coded so many things in the game and that there's a limit to what a one man team can do. Therefore I would be grateful if people report the bugs they come across. I've created a discussion in the game steam community hub, so please report bugs there preferably.

Steam thread for bug report: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1129230/discussions/0/1636416951445227239/

PLANS FOR FUTURE
Even after the release, I will continue to update the game, fix bugs, correct typos, etc. I am also committed to adding side quests and contracts periodically in the game to extend the game's life. I also have plans to make bigger updates that add a whole new family of side quests that follows a side story. And all of that free of charge if you buy the game! (there will be no paying DLC that adds quests or gameplay).

I plan to add Linux support to the game and also releasing the complete version of the game on Itch.io in the near future (once I get a couple of bug fix patch out).

LET'S PLAY YOUTUBE SERIES
There's a let's play series of the game on youtube if you're interested! Check out Lightifer if you're interested! I'll link to the thread where I keep track of the let's play series.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lightifer-plays-luna-sanctus-youtube-lets-play-series.112652/

CREDITS
I was a solo developer in this game, but I have to credit a lot of people for either creating resources for my project, or for letting me use their assets. So here's the list:

Main character Art:
- Leviathanimation

Tileset assets:
- Kadokawa
- @Celianna
- @Lunarea
- @Indrah
- CWStudio
- Wahuu Resources
- Craze
- Mack/REFMAP Tileset
- Samurai DLC (VX Ace)
- Pandamaru

Icon assets:
- Kadokawa
- Yanfly Icon generator
- mvpgira

Other visual assets:
- Kadokawa
- @hiddenone
- @Avery
- Tsukumate
- Corey 'Thalzon' Halberg (@Thalzon )
- Yukidaruma
- @whtdragon
- @chalkdust
- TV.Ghost
- @Finnuval

Music Composer:
- Alexandre St-Onge (MushroomCake28)

Music editing:
- Alexandre St-Onge (MushroomCake28)
- Nicolas Parr (AuKain)

Programmers:
- Alexandre St-Onge (main) [MushroomCake28]
- Evivind Teig (keyboard input)
- @SumRndmDde (Camera core & movie wait)
- taarnia23/Catball Games (save files)
- @Hudell (OrangeGreenworks)

NOTE: This project was created with a legal copy of RPG Maker MV, RPG Maker VX Ace, and RPG Maker XP.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Jonforum Thanks a lot man!

@The Stranger Yes! The demo is currently on Itch.io, and I plan to release the full game there too. It's just that updating the game requires a lot of work for a one person team (gotta update the win32 version, the win64, the linux32, linux64 version for steam, and have to redo the same thing for itch.io), so I'm waiting to get a couple of quick patches to fix early bugs. After I get like 3-4 fix patch out, I'll only do less frequent updates, but bigger ones. At that moment I'll release on Itch.io. So to answer your question, yes, I always planned to release on Itch.io and also to release a Linux version!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VERSION 1.0.02 IS RELEASED!!!

Small bug fix patch. Also added some functionalities.

Bug fix:
  • Fixed a tile passability issue in Azel's room in the Land of Kantou.
  • Changed the event trigger to event touch on the entrance of the bath house in the Land of Kantou.
  • Fixed the description text of Life Bottles. Added the missing "%" after the 50.
  • Fixed the typo in journal -> enemy classes. "mosnters" is now spelled "monsters".
  • Typo when entering Travis Woods for the first time. "sigh" should be spelled "sight".
  • Fixed a bug with the input in the Formation Menu.
Changes:
  • Controller support added.
  • Added the option to deactivate the Battle Camera Motion. It's in Options -> Graphics.
  • Modified the Exp curved from level 100 to 200.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Battle gameplay video. Here's a boss battle in the game:

Whiteemerald

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like the battle system! I'll have to try out the demo version soon. This game seems to be worth buying!

DiaperDad

Is at home working on a game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just bought it. Will be stealing all your ideas for my game. :p

DiaperDad

Is at home working on a game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just read your soundtrack spoiler. I was wondering why the music was really good. Nice work!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Happy New Year to everyone! To celebrate, here's a screenshot of characters in Luna Sanctus, but with the company of an extra character... That's Edo from Tyrania, the visual Novel! What does this mean? Stay tuned for a future announcement!LunaSanctus_Tyrania_Crossover.png

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did a First Look of your game.
The battle system is a bit too busy in my opinion and doesn't seem to take advantage of using a tactical battle system.
Also if you're going to start the player off halfway through the game you shouldn't just drop them off into the world but have a cutscene so they know what's happening.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I watched that video and that is not the same intro I had when I played it. Did your game maybe get borked and the new game isn't starting at the right spot? As they saw scene #17 first, but those scenes are in order I recall. Or did you change the intro @MushroomCake28 ?

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That should be the demo. At the beginning I mention whether or not it's a good idea to throw the player halfway through the game for a demo or start fresh from the start.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, which you did explain to me too elsewhere. So I'd suggest also (to the dev) adding some background for the demo at least, else it is hard to understand what is going on, and the player will think it is the same way in the main game.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, sorry for the delay! I'm in my exams period! (ending tomorrow).
I did a First Look of your game.
The battle system is a bit too busy in my opinion and doesn't seem to take advantage of using a tactical battle system.
Also if you're going to start the player off halfway through the game you shouldn't just drop them off into the world but have a cutscene so they know what's happening.
Hey, thanks for trying it out!

Yeah there's a lot going on there, mistake from my early gamedev days (I coded that system a couple years ago). It actually does take advantage of the tactical features: you can move during battles (there's an option called move in the battle command), distance affects physical damage (closer equals more damage), but your idea of changing the range based on distance is very good (should've thought of that lol), plus the AoE and fall off damage based on position adds more depth compared to the traditional battle system. The ability system is there to add some more spice to the battle system too. Overall it is a complicated system, which is why in the games the introduction to all the features is done gradually over the first 5 hours of gameplay (each things get added one by one). But in the demo, it's not realistic to have a 5 hours tutorial, which explains why it's messy. Unfortunately I can't change the system now, it's too late, so I'll just have to do better next time. I'm focusing more on simplicity and intuitive design now, before I only focused on adding features.

The reason I started the demo midway is to give a taste a of all the systems in the game. Many systems like the abilities are disabled at the start and get introduced gradually throughout the first 5 hours. The first 5 hours are calm and slow, it's like a happy introduction, which is why I opted to not start at the beginning since there's a lack of action. I know that's a mistake, but I can't change the story at this point, I'll just have to not make that mistake in my next project.

Also, I have to say, I had in mind a more hardcore target audience. Your battles tend to take way too long, and people with a fleshed out strategy usually end battles faster (using front lines for physical damage against front line enemies with weak defense, using mages for backup mage enemies), and people usually max abilities on certain skills to one hit enemies. I admit that that information is introduced in the full game but not in the demo because of the lack of time. A demo isn't ideal for testing complex battle systems, and it doesn't help that mine isn't intuitive, I'll admit that. For example, people usually focus Yukari (the fighting girl) on one hit single target damage with the "critical punch", they max level both skills to increase critical rate and critical damage. For better synergy, they also max level her "Yang Aura" abilities which gives her a physical attack boost status. The game was designed so that if you don't develop these kind of strategies you'll have a hard time.

EDIT: Sorry for the life bottle thing in the menu, that is a glitch. It's supposed to be usable in the menu.

Yeah, which you did explain to me too elsewhere. So I'd suggest also (to the dev) adding some background for the demo at least, else it is hard to understand what is going on, and the player will think it is the same way in the main game.
Yeah I did do that with the demo but people didn't like the introduction part and skipped directly to the game, which is why I removed the background info lol. It's hard to have a fair demo of a game with complex systems that aren't intuitive, but I can't change that now, I can only not make that same mistake in my next project.

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I watched that first look by fleshtodust. I agreed with him while watching, that the combat system looked somewhat overwhelming, just being stuck into the mid-game like that, but I see your point in this previous post. It would make much more sense getting exposed over time. Anyways, I just wanted to say the game looks nice, and I plan on picking it up. The battle system caught my attention for sure.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I watched that first look by fleshtodust. I agreed with him while watching, that the combat system looked somewhat overwhelming, just being stuck into the mid-game like that, but I see your point in this previous post. It would make much more sense getting exposed over time. Anyways, I just wanted to say the game looks nice, and I plan on picking it up. The battle system caught my attention for sure.
Thanks!

Yeah... it's a mistake of my earlier days of gamedev. Too late to change since the game is done and commercialized, but it's a mistake I don't intend on making for my future projects! It's the typical mistake of adding tons of complex features that are cool, but which confuses the player.

The demo was released much earlier than the full game, so I made sure to introduce slowly and gradually each aspect of the battle system in the full game, but like I said it's hard to fit a whole slow tutorial made over the span of the first 5 hours into a small demo.

If you like complex battle systems and tons of cool abilities with which you can customize your characters, this might be a fun system once you get a hang of it.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah I was discussing it with some people and mentioned I think it's probably too late to change it now but hopefully it'll be good advice for the devs future games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I keep forgetting how much I hate how VX-MV implements fences and autotile tables.
Big 10:40 composition of mine! I'll be using this for a big city in my current project! This track is huge, and took me one entire month of full time work to complete. If you want more info, like on the lyrics, check out this thread.
Balancing the Damage numbers in my Game's Battle System makes me feel like I'm some kind of a Math Genius @_@
Remember, you can enter up to THREE effects for a chance to win a copy of MZ! Only 11 submissions so far, the chances of winning is high! :D https://itch.io/jam/elfkisser

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooglerampage