World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
title.png

I've been working solo on and off on this little passion project for a good while now. Since a lot of folk seem to want to know more so I thought this would be a good time to start a thread about it (also I really dont want to have to tell the same story over and over again to a bunch of ppl lol).

You are a young man with a relativly well-off upbringing. Though things in your past have caused you to not reach your full potential and have left you somewhat wandering. Recently you have decided to strike out on your own and leave the family home. Partly to establish yourself as your own person, partly to get away from under your parents financial wings.

With your father's influence as a parting gift you get your first advisory job on a small case about a missing cat. Can you solve the case? Can you gain reputation and make a living from solving more and more complex cases? Will your past come back to haunt you? It is up to you - the player...

- You will start out small. Small cases, small pay offs but as you progress things get larger and more complex.

- Your reputation preceeds you... people will treat you accordingly and what information they will give or what rewards you'll get is at stake.

- Follow clues and leads and draw your conclusions from what you find. Be careful not to waste your actions though as how much you can do is pre-determined.
1.PNG

- Choose what clues are relevant and what clues are not then draw your conclusion... possibly the wrong one.
Knipsel.PNG

- Closing a case with the wrong conclusion, blaming the wrong (innocent) person does not cause a fail. Maybe blaming the innocent gardener instead of the influencial baronnes has merits of its own? Your rewards and 'score' are also at stake here.
results.png

- Invest in tools of the trade to get more out of your clues.

- Interview folk for leads. Careful how you approach them as this might determine how they treat you and what if any information they share with you.

- read about your exploits in the in-game newspaper and how it is recieved by the public.

Set in the city of Lundam (working title) - a city based on London and Amsterdam during the late 1800's age and early 1900's both in style and culture - with a sprinkle of steampunk.

The year is 1885 and automobiles are the hottest new thing where as Jazz music is widespread. Fashion ranges from the victorian age to the roaring 20's .

The city itself and its surroundings are divided in districts. These the player can explore, some during cases only, some during free-time only and some are open always.

a rough idea of the city and its lay-out
Map2.jpg

Some interior maps of places in the city
Butcher copy.png
Printshop.png

a map the player will visit during one of the cases
Aantekening 2020-05-18 172839.jpg

Some designs of characters you wil encounter

Our Protagonist
protag.pngProt.png

Some other folk

butler.pngbartend.pngdsame.pngreporter.png

NOTE : As I am also heavily invested in another project this one will be a slow-burn, at least until that one is completed.

furthermore as of posting this thread I have found out I have lost about 90% of the project and only have a very simple base left :(
That means at least 2 years of work down the drain but I am not going to let that stop me! It only makes posting this thread now even more valuable to me.

Any feedback, ideas or questions : feel free to post them and I'll try and respond when and where I can :)

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks cool!
The map looks great, gameplay seems interesting,
and I also like the art style for the characters.

My only concern is the font choice.
Maybe it's a bit too much?
Guess it'd be better if it's replaced with something simple and straightforward
(ie: Verdana, or other sans serif fonts that'd fit the 1900s aesthetic).

Other than that, everything's good. :D

Beckx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
uuh, this looks great! Definitely something i would play, i love these kind of detective puzzles!
the mechanic of having to choose which clues are useful or not seems also really interesting and refreshing.

Seconding the concerns regarding the font though.
If you'd rather not change it to something sans serif, would it be possible to not have it italic? or maybe increase the letter-spacing and font-size a little bit?

I'm not dyslexic but had trouble reading the text at first, and would imagine that it'll be unreadable for people with this condition.

Oh, and i found a teeny tiny typo on the case completed screen: it's success with two s :)

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds and looks very nice, but I have to third the concerns about the font. I can barely read it in the screenshots, and I have to lean in real close. I'd seriously consider changing it.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
The 1900's style and the M title, made me think of Fritz Lang's first talkie "M"
Dunno it you heard of it but, you might look at it. It is a cops drama of sort where the police tries to find a... well ... a child molester while the mafia also are on the case. No spoilers here, but thought you might know. (not that old B&W movies are all known/seen nowadays)

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Marquise* heard of It but never seen it. Might give it a go tho, who knows IT might give some inspiration :)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It made me Google it and I got it on YouTube. And now I am admiring that movie again. ^^

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sign me up, bro. Where can I help \o/

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@samkfj well, you know where to find me :p

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never seen a detective themed RPG game but...this is coooool! Sorry you lost a bunch of it but props to you for not giving up.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Such a fantastic amount of detail. I’m sorry to hear about your loss of work. I can’t imagine. When this is completed I think it will have a wonderful visual quality.
The gameplay promises to be quite rewarding. Going upward in reputation and being confined to a city can allow for dynamic map, characters and otherwise. Can really allow for the player’s success to be properly expressed.
Keep up the good work!

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SoftCloud thanks. Yeah combine that with no random NPC's but instead Every NPC having an actual purpose and (mini) story behind them - stories you can uncover outside of the cases themselves - a newspaper that reflects the going ons of the world at large and your role in it as a player...
Ambitious and even more of a hit that i lost so much ... But at least i know i can do it (again).

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Finnuval It really is hard hitting to lose such progress. I really am sorry that happened to you. Losing something precious like that and needing to recreate it is no trifle of an endeavor. I'm sure you can make a superior iteration with the practice you received before it's loss. But again, I'm really sorry for you to have to have gone through such stress.

WingedHares

I live and thus, I regret üv\)
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This looks really cool! I'm intrigued :D
Really loving the parallax mapping! :kaoluv:

Not particularly a fan of the characters art style, but they're fine~ I'm just a semi-realistic anime style kinda lad, lol.

As for actual crits, yes, the fonts and the typos. Others have pointed them out, so I won't beat you up more for it, lol.

All in all, looking forward to play it! :kaojoy:

And sorry to hear you lost 2 years worth of work. It's awesome that you can keep on going. I'd be pretty crushed :'D

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
This look great... but i have to say that i personally dislike the font in the message box you use...
how about adding option to choose font if possible :D...

good luck on your game btw :D.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@estriole yeah the font is a big issue lol ppl keep reminding me xD

And it has been changed already however the screenshots shown are all from the old build (which i lost) so yeah.

But thanks for the feedback :)

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If you're an artist of illustrations, you're doing fine.
If you're an artist of writing, you're doing fine.
If you're an artist of programming, you're doing fine.
But if you are all three above (and more) you cannot allow any distractions in your life.
Anyone had school furniture?
After working out some initial confusion, I managed to get Yanfly's Improved Battlebacks successfully working on a test battle, changing the battleback and getting it to scroll during combat. This means that I can have graphically dynamic battles on moving platforms, like the roof of a train or the deck of a ship/airship...
Place Events Like Tiles Through Replacement, & Take Notes Free Form | RPG Maker News #41

the singularity is upon us:
1621133810311.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Styrale