M-DRIVE 16-bit Music Pack: Price?

Discussion in 'Music Packs' started by Snowy Fox, Apr 27, 2018.

?

Given the information in this thread, what would you consider to be a fair price for M-DRIVE?

Poll closed May 11, 2018.
  1. ~$5.00

4.5%
  2. ~$10.00

59.1%
  3. ~$15.00

31.8%
  4. ~$20.00

4.5%
  5. ~$25.00 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. It should be free, you capitalist swine!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Snowy Fox

Snowy Fox World's Floofiest Composer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Greetings all! I'm Snowy, a composer and sound designer, and full-time fluffy thing. Please allow me to introduce my first (upcoming) entry onto the RPG Maker store: M-DRIVE, the 16-bit music pack!

...Hang on, let me just boot it up.

The music pack contains:

• 14 BGM tracks
    • 5 ME tracks
    • 16 SFX
    • All of the above in multiple file types and formats suitable for every version of RPG Maker, including M4A versions for exporting to mobile, and MP3s suitable for listening

Each of M-DRIVE's music tracks and sound effects has been lovingly crafted using the same synthesis method as its 16-bit console inspiration's Yamaha sound chip, in the styles of many of the games I grew up loving. When composing, I tried to hold the idea of an action RPG in mind, but the pack is open to several different game genres - including, of course, more traditional, turn-based RPGs.

The pack is currently scheduled for release sometime in mid-May, though there is still a chance that that might change. However...
    your feedback is wanted!

I'm still in discussions with Degica about the pack's sale price, and I thought it would be a good idea to get the community's input on the issue. How much would you be willing to pay for M-DRIVE? $15.00? $25.00? Somewhere in-between, even more, or even less? Please, share and discuss your suggestions below!

More information on M-DRIVE, more audio previews, and a demo game, can be found on my website.

As a side note, I would like to point out that the final price is not my decision. It's Degica's store, and they set the price. I can only give them my suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still thinking about price, I think 8.99 USD sounds fair to meow.
    It just kind of jumps out at me like that. Very well composed, very talented.

(I gravitate toward sale items a lot, but @ 8.99 I'd get this pack on sale or not if I was going to use it. I voted ~10.00 hopefully that means around 10 USD, but I'd say a firm 8.99 meow. I think they'd sell reasonably well.)

Snowy Fox likes this.
  3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now THIS is what I like to see! Pure, authentic retro music! Nice work. If I may inquire, what did you use? Deflemask? Old TFM Tracker? Perhaps the Genesis FM VST? :guffaw:

Snowy Fox and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is good stuff. I don't usually buy music packs, but if it's under $10 I think I would.

5. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this is amazing stuff! I could see myself using these in my own projects. Great stuff! I don't know what else to say, but wow! Seriously awesome! :kaojoy:

6. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is solid stuff! I'd say $10-$15 is in the good range!

Snowy Fox likes this.
  7. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is awesome music! You definitely captured the feeling of the 16-bit era with it.

I put my vote at $10, though $15 would probably be fine, too. It would be in line with a lot of other music packs price-wise.

Great work!

Snowy Fox likes this.
  8. Snowy Fox

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    PX7
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts and compliments! I have to admit, the responses are surprising me a little. I was personally thinking further towards the higher end of the range I suggested - even when I compared it as objectively as I could to several packs already up on the store.

If, for example, it were given a standard price of $20.00, would you buy it, would you wait for a sale, or would you be put off entirely?

Thank you, and thanks again for everyone's kind words! M-DRIVE is the single biggest project I've ever worked on, and I'm utterly flattered that it's impressing people as much as it seems to be here. I can't wait to hear it popping up in people's games!

Sorry to draw away the curtain mate, but I'm afraid it's not quite authentic. It's modern tech made to sound retro. I composed it in Reason 7, almost entirely using the PX7 FM synthesizer. It's based on the Yamaha DX7, and while I don't know exactly what was powering it, I'm pretty sure it could safely have been called a big brother of the Mega Drive's YM2612 chip. I did try to limit myself to using only up to four operators (layered sine waves, used in FM synthesis to create different sounds) per synth, rather than the offered six, to better emulate the sound of the YMS2612 - I also used a lot of delay throughout the pack, rather than reverb. However, I didn't limit the number of instruments I could use or the polyphony of each, so I was kind of "cheating" in that regard.

I'd never heard of your suggestions, though. I'm definitely going to give Deflemask a closer look sometime!

As a final side note, I would like to point out that the final price is not my decision. It's Degica's store, and they set the price. I can only give them my suggestions.

Sauteed_Onion and djDarkX like this.
  9. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm fine with it being a higher price and picking it up on sale if it's higher than what I want to spend on a pack. You should definitely price it what you think is fair though, you're the one who put the work into it. Don't undersell yourself to please a vocal minority.

Snowy Fox, Sauteed_Onion and djDarkX like this.
  10. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Darn, but hey, at least you are honest about it. I do suggest trying out Deflemask, if you can handle tracking software. It's a bit confusing, but can be really amazing in the right hands. Plus it also does other systems as well, so experiment with it. Would still try this...you know, if I had the money. :guffaw:

When it's released, I'll grab a copy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  11. Zabu

Zabu Prince of light Veteran

First Language:
    Français
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    15$ sounds like a better price for me considering the work.
    I find this really good mate!

12. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If this is something that took a couple of months to do I would:

Start the price off at 14.99, then in a month or two drop it to 9.99, then in 6 months drop it to 4.99

If this is something that took you less than a month to punchout, I would start and keep it at 4.99

I like what I heard in the advertisement, but if it is something a diligent person could replicate easily, it will not have much value to our market. Which should be reflected in its pricing or it will not sell.

Anecdotally, I would not pay more than 5 for it, for my project. Assuming the ad was a good indication of the quality of the product.

Snowy Fox likes this.
  13. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This.
    I would wait for it to go on sale to get it if it were any higher though.
    I could find my purchase history maybe on steam. I almost always wait for a sale to hit before I buy something. I've got the patience of.. well, spend thrifty patience of a frugal cat. Meow.

Snowy Fox likes this.
  14. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @futrchamp, what do you mean, it should be free?!
    :(
    (I saw your response on the poll...)

15. futrchamp

futrchamp Musician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :kaoswt: oh no...guess I accidentally clicked the wrong poll button!
    I wouldn't want a pack of this quality to go for free (especially as a composer myself). My bad, just edited the response.

16. Snowy Fox

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Sharm, @djDarkX, @Zabu, @Grunwave, @Sauteed_Onion, @Thomas Smith, @futrchamp
    Going to skip the quotes this time because the posts are starting to pile up. ^^;

Once again, thanks to everyone for their input. All of it is valuable, and all of it is helping to shape a picture of the market into which I'm releasing this pack, even if it's only a snapshot of it - and that was what I was hoping for when I started this thread. I never expected so many responses so quickly. :3

To put it into perspective, M-DRIVE took about a year and a half to complete. Obviously, it's not the only thing I was doing for all that time, and I've never before worked on a project of this scale by myself, so it was also a learning process. Even so, I'm not a fast worker. I never have been. I try to take the time to achieve interesting compositions, a balanced mix and quality mastering. I know I'm not a compositional god, and that I can only achieve those things up to a certain point, and it ain't that of Jeremy Soule; still, I hold myself to very high standards - probably too high - but that is how I feel myself most effectively growing as an artist, too. I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist... more that I create in crawls, not bursts.

Irregardless of that, people aren't going to be paying for the time I put into M-DRIVE. They're going to be paying for what they hear in it. Besides that, this is my first music pack, and other than the RMN Music Pack, as far as I know, I'm a complete unknown in this community. If it's priced too high, it won't sell. And the general consensus seems to be that any higher than the $15.00 mark will be starting to get too high.

EDIT
    M-DRIVE actually took about a year and a half, not two-and-a-half years. I'm slow, either way. =P

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  17. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I haven't played too many Genesis/Mega Drive games (Was more of a SNES guy) but I think you did a good job capturing Genesis's style of music, with some extra depth for good measure. I definitely had a Phantasy Star II vibe with the song starting at ~1:40, which does a good job identifying the playlist as Mega Drive-themed for what could have easily fallen into the trap of being a broader '16-bit era' tag.

I think the reason why the votes are relatively low compared to other music packs is because I would imagine some of us to wait for sales of that range for packs $20 or above. So the range of $10-$15 would where a $20 pack would land in if it was 25-30% off.

I voted for $15.

18. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I voted $10.
    While this is pretty decent music, it's a niche music, even though 8-bit-ish niche has been getting very popular lately. It's also a niche I will not be covering, so apart from listening to it I'd have no use for it. Even if I had use of it though, I find it completely satisfactory to pay 2/3 of $ compared to music files, so $10 for 15 music files. I would never buy it for more than $1 per music file though. The reason for that is, I find only small amounts of music files I purchase actually useful.
    SFX and BGS, I treat them as a small bonus with music packs. I already have over 8000 various sound effects, so I don't place SFX into consideration.

Sauteed_Onion and Snowy Fox like this.
  19. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think you're a good composer. So I voted $15. The quality is good, and worth at least $15, in my opinion.

Sauteed_Onion and Snowy Fox like this.
  20. Snowy Fox

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    M-DRIVE was influenced more by Phantasy Star IV than II, and also the rather distinctive sound of Climax's Mega Drive Games (the Shining series and Landstalker). Heavy influences for the higher-energy tracks came from the Ys series and of course the blue blur himself. A few other games lent ideas, too. I grew up playing them, and replayed a lot of them while I was working on the pack. Mainly, I tried to replicate (or at least approximate) the sounds of the instruments in those games, as well as borrowing things here and there like chord progressions and general moods. I avoided lifting melodies or even just motifs, though. I wanted it to sound like it could have come from that era, without straight-up plagiarising anything. =P

While it's obviously always going to be a major factor, I have to admit I'm a little concerned that the number of tracks in a music pack is so heavily weighed in people's minds against its value. My worry is that less scrupulous composers might bash out a pack with as many tracks as possible, with as little effort as possible, and slap a high price tag on it - and still get buttloads of sales, as people see it as great value. It's a slightly unsettling thought that all the work I poured into M-DRIVE may be worth less than if I'd just padded it out with low-effort fluff.

@Seacliff, @Poryg, @Rose Guardian, thank you all for your input. ^^