M.I.A.'s Mini-Mapping Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M.I.A., Oct 23, 2017.

1. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , thanks for the suggestion. I put some thought into ".. what kind of place would the maids go to unwind and blow off steam?.. "

So I present to you:
    The Keeper's Keep - A Den for the Everyday Maiden
    Tonight's entertainment, the remarkable one man show, Mr. MooglEr..Critter.. who is being possessed like a puppet by a possessed puppet!!

Someone call HTML!! :)

[​IMG]

-MIA

Attached Files:

bhindi1224 and MMMm like this.
  2. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These are all pretty sweet. Great work!

How about an underground marriage chapel where humans and non humans go to be wed? If you're in love with an orc, a dragon, or a naga and no one will perform the ceremony, this place has got you covered.

The mog-critter could be the priest or a groom.

M.I.A. likes this.
  3. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer

First Language:
    English
    I take it from this thread that it is much better to start with small maps, then slowly expand outward, than it is to try to fill in a massive map. Seeing some really nice maps here!

MMMm likes this.
  4. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , I liked the idea of the Moog.. Critter as the priest, but I really dug the cape on the Vampire. I present a cross-species underground Wedding! This was a fun challenge. :) Thanks for the suggestion,

[​IMG]

@VideoWizard , Thanks for the comment. I created this thread to challenge my map tiles to their creative extent (and also check for errors in my compilation).
    However, I do also believe that it is best to start small.. practice in small areas, and then create larger maps and expand from there! If you can create a tiny 10x17 map with much detail, imagine what you can make on a larger scale!!

I limited the challenges on this thread to 10x17, because I want to practice, but only spend a maximum of 30mins on each map.
    Please feel free to make more suggestions! Now that my internet is fixed, I can work on them more readily. :)

-MIA

Attached Files:

5. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Super cool! Is there a story behind it? I suppose the parents aren't there because they don't approve. I dig the flower girl and the monster audience, as well as the octopus woman bride.

How about an interior for a magic tent. It's a special model where it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside and is equipped with a variety of luxuries any adventurer would crave.

6. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , when mapping, I always ask myself "To which purpose does this serve?". Whether it is in regards to placement of Trees, Events, NPC's, etc.. That's how I like to let my maps tell me what they want to become. If that makes sense.. ;P

The wedding map was loosely based on the idea of The Little Mermaid, except she never kissed the prince in time.. and he fell in love with the Sea Witch instead. :)

The Magic Tent was fun!
    [​IMG]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THERESE!! Marsha is enjoying learning new spells, while Lucius and Critter try to get Octobuddy a bath!!

:)
    -MIA

Attached Files:

7. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I really like the shopkeeper being there. I imagine that the universe inside of the tent remains exactly how it is when the tent is unpacked and packed somewhere else, so all their stuff stays just as it is.

How about a kid's birthday party for the next map? The Mog-critter can turn his extensive talents to entertaining children. Maybe he puts on a show with a clown that was also hired for the event. Or perhaps they brought a circus? You decide.

M.I.A. likes this.
  8. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , Of course nothing changes during transit, it's a Magic Tent!! :)

I was aiming for a Beach/Circus-y Bday.. but I think I missed the mark on this one. Either way, it was a lot to fit into a small space.. I'm sure on normal map sizes, I could have made it work much better..

Enjoy throwing apples!!
    [​IMG]

-MIA

Attached Files:

Roy Kiske, bhindi1224 and MMMm like this.
  9. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Your mapping is always good and you work really fast, too. I liked the repurposed blood stains for the apple throwing game.

For the next challenge, how about one where the Mog-creature is involved in a shady back alley deal selling one use save points?

"You got the stuff?"

"Yeah I got the stuff, kupo, you got the money?"

"I'll show you the money when you show me the stuff."

"I'll show you the stuff when you show me the money."

M.I.A. and bhindi1224 like this.
  10. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    Thanks! Yeah, I wanted a "splatter" for the apple toss game.. the blood did the job just right :)

Ah, yes, the famous "back alley transaction". I will knock that one out a little later on tomorrow. I am far too sleepy to map.
    -MIA

MMMm likes this.
  11. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , If I were using lighting effects, I would have made it much darker everywhere except the path! This was fun.
    Enter the King Pin's Back Alley Consignments. Can you bust through the henchmen to reach the Black Market Machine and Stolen Save Point dealer??

[​IMG]

-MIA

Attached Files:

Roy Kiske, bhindi1224 and MMMm like this.
  12. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love it! The Mog-creature is selling save point fragments. They allow criminals to enter a parallel universe and retry their crimes if they get a game over, once. His services are in high demand.

For the next one, how about an insurance office that deals with monster attacks? You can insure your home for orc raids, magical fire and battles between armed groups of heroes and villains that spill over near your house causing collateral damage. Every fantasy world home owner should buy it.

M.I.A. likes this.
  13. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    I haven't forgotten about this. I have just been really busy.
    Getting ready for holidays.. finishing a kitchen remodel.. oh, and welcoming this sweet sugar face to our farm!!
    [​IMG]

Keep the suggestions coming! I will knock them out soon. :)
    -MIA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    MMMm likes this.
  14. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, cool! You're still doing these. Okay. How about:

The headquarters of Badguy's Inc. The place where any aspiring villain goes to recruit evil henchmen and monstrous brutes. They have monsters, mooks, and mini bosses for affordable prices. Taking over the world is hard enough. They help you not have to worry about the little things so you can focus on destroying anyone who gets in your way.

A storehouse where legendary weapons are kept until gods, spirits, or prophecies are called to distribute these to heroes so they can fulfill their destiny.

The workshop of the seamstress who makes all of the RTP costumes for heroes.

M.I.A. likes this.
  15. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    Excellent suggestions! When I have some sofa time, I will slam some of them out. :)

-MIA

MMMm likes this.
  16. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , this was a good challenge. I thought to myself "insurance is pretty boring.. could you imagine an insurance claims adjusters office? It must be pretty boring too.. " so I present to you: Regressive: Claims Offices. Here to insure your Home Town can be rebuilt after it's destroyed in the first 15 minutes of game play!

It was fun making a "boring" map! Not all maps have to be glorious. Sometimes, they just have to be functional. :)
    Complete with Self-Service tea station while you wait.
    [​IMG]

-MIA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    MMMm likes this.
  17. MMMm

MMMm Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like that even a criminal is getting service here. Maybe the heroes destroyed his establishment in a bar fight with other bad guys.

18. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    Criminals can be insured too! :)

If they aren't too busy getting a good deal on insurance, maybe they're at the super secret Bad Guy Convention (BGCon), trying to persuade others to join their team. Be warned though, no one can enter without a proper day pass.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestions! :) More to come.
    -MIA

Attached Files:

MMMm likes this.
  19. Roy Kiske

Roy Kiske Explorer

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A pet store, selling everything from rabbits and cats to werewolfes.

M.I.A. and MMMm like this.
  20. M.I.A.

First Language:
    English
    @MMMm , Before there can be a store house, the Ultra Gear must be retrieved! And before it can be retrieved, you must defeat the Guardian!!

I started with an indoor warehouse idea.. but it evolved into a dungeon. And then I wondered why anyone would keep all that Ultra Gear in a vault? Seems like something one would want to hide and protect well.. heh. So, I give you: Cavern of the Sky Gear and Divine Protector!

[​IMG]

This one was fun! I'm seldom a fan of "lava dungeons", but I enjoyed the challenge.
    -MIA

Attached Files:

MMMm likes this.