MacOS deployment not working for me

erni79

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi everyone! I have been hard at work for a while now and finally finished a demo version of my project and gave that to a couple close friends for first impressions.

Since some use Mac and others Windows I deployed both versions and gave each their respective ones. No problems with the Windows versions but the Mac version just does not start with both of my friends.
(I myself run MZ from win10 and deployed it from there)

We tried a couple of things but nothing worked. They always get an error when they start to run the game app.
They get an, and I am not sure of the correct nomenclature for MacOS in english, certificate error(?). They type of error where the operating system claims you are not allowed to run a file.

I hope someone can help me because this is somewhat frustrating and I am at a complete loss what may cause this.

Please help! and thanks! :)

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I could be wrong, but what I assume is happening is that MacOS is flipping out because the app isn't notarized. Basically, Apple wants money, and they don't mind irritating their users and developers in order to get it, so they implemented a system where they make it very difficult for Mac users to open a third party file that isn't "notarized" (basically, you get Apple to stamp the file saying that it's safe).

If they try to open an un-notarized app, it basically tells them that they can't open the app, and to contact the developer. To my understanding, to get around it, they have to go into their Security & Privacy settings and create an exception for that app, and then it will allow them to open it. Here's an article that talks about it a little.

Unless you want to buy a Mac, and also pay Apple $99 per year for a developer license, you don't have a way to notarize apps... so unfortunately, your Mac friends are going to have to put up with the annoyance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) it is easier to deploy from MacOS to MacOS instead of deploying from Win to MacOS, because the MacOS file system contains flags that do not exist under Windows, and one of them is needed to correctly create the APP on MacOS.
If you deploy from Win to Mac that flag needs to be set manually, and that is an extra step that many people have problems with - because you have to be on a MacOS to even be able to set that flag (as it does not exist on a Win Computer).

and no, I can't help there because I never did that myself.

2) unfortunately your error message is not clear - I know of two or three different possibilities that can cause similar messages.
one of them just means that they have to confirm an override to start the game, but another means they tried to start the wrong file due to that missing flag

any chance of getting a screenshot of that error message?

EDIT:
and the poster above mixed up several things.
that 99$/year is a developer fee if you want to be able to sell your programs through the applestore, it is not needed to run the programs if you give them for free or through a different shop.
although I admit that Apple tries to hide the other options to make you pay when not needed - but all companies do that, including Microsoft with a lot of the hidden tricks in Windows.

erni79

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you both for the quick replies!

I have looked and it seems the correct english term would be: file permissions

bascially what is described here
Now we did change the permissions to read and write, but that didnt affect the game starting or what error message is shown.
Also probably worth noting that there was on both systems an error when trying to move the app file around.

Hm I still hope someone knows a workaround or fix before I try more extreme measures^^ (as in buying a laptop or pc just to be able to deploy the game for Mac versions)
I mean my favorite solution would still be to have them buy a computer with a proper OS ;-p

But seriously thank you, and I can't take a screenshot atm, because none of them is here or even avaiable right now. But I will if we cannot find a nother way.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But seriously thank you, and I can't take a screenshot atm, because none of them is here or even avaiable right now. But I will if we cannot find a nother way.
please do, and also tell us what exactly they tried to click when the message came up.

What windows creates is a folder. That is because everything you see as a MacOS-App is in reality a folder, and the special flag I mentioned just tells the MacOS that this specific folder should be handled as an app.

which means that the flag tells the Mac to start a very specific file inside the folder, and if you simply click somewhere you might try to execute the wrong file, resulting in errors that have nothing to do with the program but simply telling you that you tried to execute a file that was never meant to be executed.

erni79

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What windows creates is a folder. That is because everything you see as a MacOS-App is in reality a folder, and the special flag I mentioned just tells the MacOS that this specific folder should be handled as an app.

Aye, as far as I understand, with their systems you would just click on the game app folder and it would start. So when I deploy the Mac version, I get an individual html and a bin file and a nwjs.app folder.
So on the macs just clicking on the app.folder should work like clicking on the game.exe for pc users.
Am I correct so far?

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could be wrong, but what I assume is happening is that MacOS is flipping out because the app isn't notarized. Basically, Apple wants money, and they don't mind irritating their users and developers in order to get it, so they implemented a system where they make it very difficult for Mac users to open a third party file that isn't "notarized" (basically, you get Apple to stamp the file saying that it's safe).

Contrary to this belief, the only reason Mac OS wants the app to be "notarized," as you put it, is simply for security reasons. It is much less likely that official developers' applications will contain malware. This is very easily fixed by opening System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Section BEFORE you try to open the application, so you can confirm you trust the application when opening it. You should only have to do this once.

We tried a couple of things but nothing worked. They always get an error when they start to run the game app.
They get an, and I am not sure of the correct nomenclature for MacOS in english, certificate error(?). They type of error where the operating system claims you are not allowed to run a file.

Provide me a download to the project and I'll attempt to fix it for you.

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Basically, Apple wants money...
Contrary to this belief...

Maybe a little of column A and a little of column B? Whatever the reason, it's not like it's just Apple; Android is similar with only accepting signed apps on the Play Store and having to give permission to install from unknown sources. Anyway, that's probably off topic, so back to it...

To further the original question, is there a way to take just the deployment and Appleize it? For instance, I don't have a Mac, but could I stick my MacOS deployment from Windows on a USB drive and take it to the library to make it playable?

I don't know if I should put that question in its own thread, but it seemed pertinent here...

erni79

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't have a Mac, but could I stick my MacOS deployment from Windows on a USB drive and take it to the library to make it playable?
We tried this, and it didnt't work.

Thank you all so much for the support!

@Dungeonmind I sent you a private message

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but could I stick my MacOS deployment from Windows on a USB drive and take it to the library to make it playable?

We tried this, and it didnt't work.
That is because you're both missing the step I already mentioned in my post above:

after copying the folder to the Mac, you need to set the flag that declares for the MacOS that this folder is an app instead of a regular folder.
as soon as you do that, it would work - but no chance without that setting.

and as I said already, I don't know how to set that flag as I haven't done it myself either and rarely work with MacOS.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've exported the project for him and the game should now work on Mac. I'm just uploading it now.

erni79

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Aye, and am downloading it now. Probably wont be able to have my friends test it until sunday, but I am sure it will work! ^^

I will keep you informed!

edit: Or the thread can be closed, either way,
thank you all so much! <3

Last edited:

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Contrary to this belief, the only reason Mac OS wants the app to be "notarized," as you put it, is simply for security reasons. It is much less likely that official developers' applications will contain malware. This is very easily fixed by opening System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Section BEFORE you try to open the application, so you can confirm you trust the application when opening it. You should only have to do this once.

My issue with that is that if an app is notarized, it only means two things:

A. The developer pays Apple $99 per year, and has access to a Mac.​
B. The app passed an automated malware scan.​

To me, 'A' doesn't really mean much in terms of security. I used to have an Apple developer account, and as far as I recall, I didn't have to pass any psych exams or background checks to prove that I'm not a bad person. It was just a simple matter of filling out some standard info, typing in my debit card number, and then "BAM!" I was an official developer. There wasn't even a waiting process or anything. Though admittedly, it's been a while, so maybe things have changed in some way.

And as far as 'B' goes, it's obviously security-related, but it seems kinda superficial. An automated malware scan isn't some revolutionary thing that can only happen in this specific way. If the primary goal is security, then all Apple really needs to do is to provide that malware scanning software to their users, and let them scan their own files. That would actually be *more* secure, since by the time the app reaches the user, their virus definitions might be more up-to-date than what was known when the app was first created.

And then, to my understanding (which could be flawed), the popup that occurs when people try to open unnotarized apps doesn't even explain that they do actually have the option to open the app. It just says "This app can't be opened, because it might be a VIRUS! Sorry bruh. Contact the developer, because it's all THEIR FAULT!"... and then it has an "OK" button.

To me, that kinda just makes it seem like their primary goal is trying to pressure developers into signing up for a developer account. Either the developers will feel embarrassed because their customers keep contacting them and accusing them of distributing malware, or they genuinely feel bad for the hassle that those people are having to endure, so they'll just bite the bullet and get an account.

And it's not just about forcing the developer to buy a Mac, or about making them pay $99 for an account. Or rather, I don't think that's what the end game is. I think that ultimately, they're hoping that the developer will think "Well, darn. I already bit the bullet and bought a Mac and got a developer account... so I might as well just go ahead and publish on the App Store." Then Apple can get their 30% cut or whatever.

erni79

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry that it took so long, but I only just confirmation by my second friend.
For both it still does not work, the first gets now no error message but the client just wont open, and the second gets an authentification error

I talked now to both and found a solution where they can test it on a windows system

I am bot very sprry to have wasted your time but extremely grateful for all the help I've received!
I hope that soon I will be able to post my work for some feedback from the pros :)

Again thank you all very much! I think the thread can be closed

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In last 5 years, I have bought 4 MSI computer components and had issues with all 4 of them. With two of them these issues were so huge the board was quite unusable. I think it's safe to day it's my last MSI product purchase.
Thanks Thesaurus.com for letting me know another word for 'noted' is 'noted'.
The capital city of Lindenburg everyone. "Capital"

Map043.png
been trying to up my action sequence game and I'm not entirely sure what to do, even with tutorials out there. but I think I'm heading in the right direction with some attacks.
I've started brainstorming an entry for IGMC 2022. One hour of game length and first ten minutes to grab the reviewer's interest. Here we go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gejiziliao