Magazine (or comic) sprite (for pickups, decoration, etc.) in MV

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by Banjo, May 10, 2019.

1. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm looking for a tile of a magazine and/or comic book or other "floppy" publication that can be placed on a desk, bed or floor the way the included books can. Nothing in particular (cover-wise), just something that can be used to represent a modern fashion,gaming or gossip magazine that matches the style of the default "SF" (sci-fi) modern resourced included with MV.

Everything included in the default set already, or that I can find here, is a big old-style hardback book of the kind more commonly associated with fantasy "spellbooks" and similar books!

2. Pearl484

Pearl484 Sweetly Spiked Flower Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you've got vx candacis has a large variety of books, yes it's spell tomes so not what you want, but you might also be able to find resized scifi character sheets and portaints to mess around. Whtdragon has some cool drawing diagrams, but magazines are few and far between.

Banjo likes this.
  3. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is about as good as I can get it. Hope these work.

[​IMG]

Ebanyle and Banjo like this.
  4. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow, thanks Switz! I didn't expect someone to make one for me! Looks great!

Now I need a couple of different magazines: ideally (to keep it at a minimum): a fashion magazine (e.g. Cleo/Cosmo), a men's magazine (e.g. Maxim/Ralph), and a comic book (anything, really; superhero for easy recognition maybe?).

I'm happy to have a got making them myself if you're able to just share how you made the PC Gamer one (i.e. scale settings, etc.) if it's a pain for you to make any more.

5. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it's the PC Gamer one style you are after, I used Photoshop, however, that style can be done with any image editor using resize command.

Once resized, I then duplicated the image and put them on top of each other, but for the one on the bottom, I moved it down a little bit so it makes it all look 3d

The opened version was done in Photoshop using the warp command

Banjo likes this.
  6. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Ebanyle and Banjo like this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Banjo and @Switz The problem here is that those are real magazine covers and using them like that will probably be infringing copyright.

8. Ebanyle

Ebanyle Curse Diva Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't want to be a killjoy or anything, but using actual magazines could perhaps bring some right issues... Someone made a topic a couple weeks ago commenting on that...

ninjed

9. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Personally, I'm not fussed about the copyright of magazine covers since I wouldn't be using them for anything commercial (although obviously, they couldn't be used in a commercial product).

That said, I would indeed prefer "non-real" covers but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth since Switz was very kind to do this and share them. :)

The reason I was most interested in the Photoshop settings used was to create my own possibly from a cover I would make myself (so, no "copyright" on them). Fake magazine covers are easy enough to make with various resources (or from scratch using royalty free photo/art/rendered sources), it's the making them into little tiny sprites without them becoming impossible to discern that I struggled with!

Regardless, thanks again to Switz for generously making these. They do look cool!