VNMaker Maggie Unto Darkness

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by animesock52, May 12, 2015.

1. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    This project was started ways back in on a different engine during college, but with the release of VN Maker I restarted the project again fresh!!
    Fill free to follow and support me on my game making adventure!
    You can use this to support if you would like ^-^
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Halloween night a group of kids and teenagers go out to an abandon house. This house happens to double as their club house and they want to have one last party/ group meet up before it is taken over by a Haunted Attraction Company. However, unexpectedly the ground begins to shake and the group of friends collapse through the floor. When the children awake, they find themselves in a strange Mansion residing in some sort of crazy Halloween town.

The children meet the game master and learn they must play the games of this world in order to return to their home. You must fight, solve, and interact with locals to make it through this crazy world alive. What starts as a game of survival turns into a journey of discover. What is the truth, the reality of this world, how far does its roots inner twine with their own, and how far into darkness can they go before lossing themselves.

[​IMG]

• Halloween night six small town teens make their way to the local abandon house. Once owned by a shady antique dealing couple, this house has all the charm of an old ornate home, but was made fake all the way down to the floor boards. For years this had been the secret club house of the group’s leaders Natalie Craymore and Bishop Rider. Unfortunately, it was only made to “look” like an old home, but this makes it lack any historical preservation barriers held by the local town. This unique situation makes it the ideal place for the Haunts in Houses Company to take it over as a Halloween scaring attrition. Without these barriers the Company can start its intense renovations quickly in preparation for next year’s Halloween. So, our teens have decided to take this as their last chance to enjoy the club house before workers start coming in for measurements.

The story starts with our group getting ready for their “Club Closing Halloween Bash!” You, the player will be in the shoes of Natalie’s adopted sister Maggie Bon Craymore. Maggie and Natalie will join the rest of the group at the abandon house, once inside decorating and prep will begin. Outside you will meet the rest of the group; Luke Rider, Penny Brice, and Derrick Taylor.

The house inside looks like a classic haunted house, but with the only original residence still being alive, there wasn’t much there for ghost hunting. During the party, strange instances will start to occur, creaks and moans. All of this and more leading up to the floor falling apart and our cast falling through.

Maggie and the other teens wake up in a large mansion in a strange Halloween town like world. There the current game master will inform the group that they will have to participate in this world’s game to find the truth and head back home. Maggie will play and unravel the world she is in, from interacting with the local ghouls to taking on the deadly challenges placed of the game, all in hopes of making back home.

However, Maggie will not have to travel this world alone. The group will have one of their belonging possessed by a spirit, this spirit will try to keep the players alive in hopes of being able to pass on, or regain their physical form within the town. Maggie’s beloved doll Boogie, will be possessed and take on the role as Maggie’s voice/ translator. Together you will discover this strange and wacky world or wonders and horrors.
    The Under Story and Setting
    The under story? What does that mean?

In this game I kind of wanted there to be a main story that is the focus, but then there to be an under story that is built upon through lore and taking particular routes thus gaining points of information. In Maggie Unto Darkness you and your companions are sent to this strange unknown world; however the reasoning is unknown. Understanding questions of the world itself are not necessary for you to survive to the end. Only a basic understanding is needed for that. However, what about what lies underneath? Throughout the game you will be given instances you can’t quite understand the purpose of, “the mysteries” you can choose to approach or ignore.

The Carnival of Dark

The world in which the character’s are sent has no known name, however is often referred to as “the Carnival of Dark” “A Town in the Night” which is why many will greet you with “Welcome to the Carnival”, despite it being more of a town than a carnival style place. The name comes from the fact the Town is believed to move locations throughout the world like a carnival. This means the way into the world is never in the same place. The particular reasoning behind a new location is unknown, but residence believe they can tell when a location has moved when they notice an odd change in weather or sudden change in season.

Overall the world is colorful despite always being night time, as if the carnival were in town.

Starting with the first location, the mansion, it is one of the largest structures to be found and is full of several rooms of different purposes. This is where the characters and the Game Master spend the largest amount of time. The building itself, however is called “The Witch’s Mansion” by the Butler. There you will meet the Game Master and learn of the game you must face.

The town however, is filled with odd monsters and characters you will come to know more about. They live peacefully within the town many even owning eccentric boutiques and restaurants. From them and exploration you will piece together the history, purpose, and secrets of the world they themselves have come to slowly figure out. Through the journey you will come to hear many mentions of witches and stories of old. It will be up to you to discover what parts are true and what parts are simply stories.

Game Play
    This will slowly be expanded upon and I will note in my Production Diary whenever I add or edit new information here. Things may change and warp based on what works story wise and what I am capable of achieving. I’m not a programmer and this would be my first game O_O

The Game the Children are playing
    The characters are told they must learn the truth to survive, however it is not clear what that means. Each chapter you will spend a day to a few days completing tasks and talking to particular characters in order to make your way to the end of the chapter where your “challenge” takes place.

MECHANICS
    Fright Night
    (Being ReModeled)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mock-ups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Art
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

OLD DEVELOPMENT
    I like having and showing these to show how far the project has come. So, if your interested in seeing some old concept work fill free to browse! :kaohi:
    (note this was going to be a VX ACE game back in the day.)
    Maggie's design changes over the years
    I got to say this was alot of progress artistically for me. This time frame is during college to right out of college. College pushed me alot to improve and I'm happy about how far I come.
    [​IMG]
    Old cover/ Title designs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Old Character Designs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Production Diary- https://maggieuntodarkness.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Vaena, Wavelength, Jayje and 12 others like this.
  2. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    MAJOR UPDATES
    I pretty much updated everything, all of it is new! Most importantly- changed engine to VN MAKER

Been waiting so long to update this, I will still continue to add and change as I go, but that will be mainly more of an art thing, not concepts.
    I might update here, or in a production diary on tumblr, I'm not sure, I don't want to annoy people with notifications.

But overal glad to be back working on this...now I will go back and hide.

FoxySeta and starlight dream like this.
  3. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the vibrant choice of colors and the beautiful backgrounds.
    The story itself is simple yet interesting.

You should update here periodically, because this game deserve more exposure.
    You've put much love and care for this project, and it's a sin if people can't know more about it.
    Best of luck for you! :thumbsup-left::D:thumbsup-right:

I'll be watching this

4. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @EpicFILE Thanks so much I really appreciate that ^-^
    I'm glad you want to folllow the production.
    I will work to make my updates here, for now alot of it will be art pieces rather than game play, but I hope doing a diary will keep me productive and I hope people will find it interesting.:kaopride:

EpicFILE likes this.
  5. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #1
    Character Building-
    Fixing Art! I am currently re-doing alot of my character art, esspecially for Maggie. The one I have in the character area was orginally drawn in my old drawing software, but I now use Clip Studio Pro. Basically, I want to make all my characters match. Maggie has also had some color adjustments to match more with the title cover version of her. This is Maggie Version- 2018

Designing the Models-
    If I were to say what inspired this model set up, I would have to say Danganronpa had alot of influence on me. I want models with multiple angles, poses, and expressions. I am making the arms seperate pieces so I can pose them differently with different expressions to create a dynamic feel. However, only the first model will have a full body unlike Danganronpa which uses full bodies for every pose. All the "Main" characters will have this complex set up. The side characters will vary based on what is needed, but will only have 1 angle for most of them.

Concepts-
    I think in each post I might try to show or highlight a side character (towns folk). For this post I have the conjioned nurses, "the twins". There is an older concept of them in my old development section. Although I already have backstory and other story worked out for them, I have not figured out individual names for them that I like.
    [​IMG]
    Current plans-
    Redoing the character art will take time, which I want to have almost done before moving into other parts of building the game, however I do have some small updates planned out.
    I know I would like to finish working on this page, but I would like to put in a "Progress Section" with some sort of metor. I want to keep track of how much is done so far. I might also like to have a goals section that points out some of the things I would like to get done....such as finding music O_O
    In addition, I have some game play concepts I would like to work on, but that honestly depends on how well I can manage the software. Got to get the basics before I can do anything fancy. However, even though I've never made a full fledged game I always want to do something unique.....that I have no idea if I will possibly be able to do....but we will see. :kaoswt2:

For each diary I do on this forum I will try to make sure there is a good bit of info and work presented (I don't want to spam or reveal too much), unlike on tumblr where I may post just images a bunch....I like posting pictures. :kaoswt:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Jayje and EpicFILE like this.
  6. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the idea of production diary.
    Rather than a very short post about what have been updated,
    you also tell some stories about your developing journey and your concern about the game.
    It makes the update more interesting and feel friendly imo.
    Keep it up!

7. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @EpicFILE Thanks so much, I will try to keep up that format as much as I can.

8. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #2
    Working and Building-

Honestly alot of story, plot and game play is getting built and refined as I go along, so if I make any changes to the description I'll try to remember to tell those whom follow this. Not much has happened so far in terms of production, I've been pretty busy, but thought I would update and add some of the world information, I think my story description was really lacking in talking about the world they fall into. I would say this is not a complete world description yet. I want to refine and detail it more, but with out getting too spoiler heavy.
    In terms of progress, I have started Nate's different angles which I may show in the next Diary, that update might just have more in general. Also I put up the Tumblr Page, for those wanting to see a little more, not much has been addded yet but it will soon.

The World and Game they Play
    The world of Maggie Unto Darkness.

The world Maggie and her companions tragically fall in is a strange one. Overall the world is colorful despite always being night time, as if the carnival were in town. Starting with the first location, the mansion, it is one of the largest structures to be found and is full of several rooms of different purposes. This is where the characters and the Game Master spend the largest amount of time. The town however, is filled with odd monsters and characters you will come to know more about. They live peacefully within the town many even owning eccentric boutiques and restaurants. From them and exploration you will piece together the history, purpose, and secrets of the world they themselves have come to slowly figure out. Through the journey you will come to hear many mentions of witches and stories of old. It will be up to you to discover what parts are true and what parts are simply stories.

The Game the Children are playing

The characters are told they must learn the truth to survive, however it is not clear what that means. You will come to find out not only do you need to learn about the town, but also the “key” memories in your lives you have come to lose upon entering the world. Each chapter you will spend a day to a few days completing tasks and talking to particular characters in order to make your way to the end of the chapter where your “challenge” takes place. The survivors at the end will be given a coin which they can then take to the candy dispenser. (it may look like a gum ball machine) With this each character will eat the candy before bed and have a vivid dream of a “memory” they have come to lose.

Fright Night

Each night you will enter what is called “Fright Night”. This is where much of the horror game play aspect of the game comes from. Each night with the exception of the nights you receive candy, you will have the opportunity to explore the mansion and town after hours in order to learn secrets and lore. However, on these nights there are rabid creatures afoot. When exploring there is a chance you may run into one of these creatures and have to complete a challenge (most likely quick time events) in order to move on. If you die, you will wake up the next morning and lose a night of exploration.

Side Characters
    As I mentioned before i want to try or attempt to have a side character show in each of these. So, here is an old one made new so far.
    [​IMG]

Jayje and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  9. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #3
    Writting-

I havn't had much time on my hands so the progress on the charatcer art has suffered a little. I have just been busy, so on those days when times kind of eh, or artist block is strong I would work on writting. Because of this I have written out the entire prologue chapter, 15 pages! It's so exciting for me. As someone who focuses mainly on the art having this done is a big step for me. I havn't done this for a project in a long time. It may not seem like much, but for me its a step in the direction of actually going through with working on stuff. Often I may go on hiatus or just stop working on things back and forth, but this is great. I'm actually making time for the other aspects of the project besides just the art.
    [​IMG]
    Art- I didn't want this post to be completely absent of any work, so I thought I'd add a monster concept.
    [​IMG]
    Posting-
    After this post, it seems I have began an unintentional posting schedule. Calander-wise I appear to be posting every other week on Thursdays. Perhaps I will stick with this if I can. Funny how things work out.

10. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #4
    Writing-
    So, not much has been added lately just been busy with life. I have edited and added information on the main post. Settings and Game play have been added, just some more details which also help me keep track of things O_O. They are definitely edit as I go kind of sections. I have an idea for a mechanic, but I think I will wait to post about that until I refine it.
    Art-
    Art has been going slow as well, but thought I'd show what I am working on. Design-wise Nate is getting shorter hair. It was going to be that short originally, but when I did my last model I chose to make it longer for some reason. Overall, Character art....going really slowly.....
    [​IMG]
    Next is another side character I have been working on. She runs one of the many shops. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out a good name for her. Her outfit kind of turned into a pumpkin and cranberry color palette, but I like it.
    [​IMG]
    I really need to get motivated to put in some hard time into this project, but so far I am just taking it as I go.

11. SingDango

SingDango Villager Member

First Language:
    Mandarin
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This looks amazing :kaoluv:

12. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your art style is so good omg. This looks like it's going to be a pretty great game so I'm interested in watching it develop!

13. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is beautiful stuff! I'm going to be following this one for sure, keep up the great work, this art style is glorious! :D

14. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @SingDango - Thank you ^-^
    @kaiijuu - Thanks so much, glad to hear that you'll be following!:kaoluv:
    @Fernyfer775 - I'm so glad to hear you want to follow too ^-^ I'm so happy people are interested in my project. Thank you!

15. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #5
    So, this one is late. I've been a bit behind lately. I was sick one week, so I've just been taking things easy. There are no updates for characters or writing. I got in a weird mood to work on backgrounds.
    Backgrounds
    I am slowly improving on backgrounds, but I have very high standards for myself O_O Its taking all my power to keep myself from constantly redrawing stuff.
    The haunted house is older. I tried doing it when I first got my new software and was still getting used to it. It may change or adjust over time, but this is what I'll use for now. It is actually the first background I worked on for this game.
    Also found out I was sizing things wrong.....I'm now using a 1080p template...but it kinda crops out some of my other backgrounds. My old ones were too square.
    The lounge is also slightly older, but it still needs work. (I'm going to remove that back room with the tiles probably.
    There is the thrown room and a sketch of what the town's "Main Street" will look like. I am deciding how big the town will be. However, I know there will definitely be the "Main Street" and a "Down Town".
    Ideas
    Main Street- The first part of the town that was built- more historical
    Down Town- More modern more night life
    Shady part of town- Run down kind of frighting.
    Back side of town- Where the grave yard and town introductory is.
    If you can go in a building that building will have a max of 2 rooms mainly 1 though. The only place I want multiple room access is the main mansion, to help tighten up the number of locations.
    [​IMG]

16. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #6
    This is kind of a small update. I started working on characters again, but its slow as usual. I go back and forth between working on side and main characters. Overall, I am working slowly. VN Maker just got its 1080 p template so may start working on some stuff in the software itself.
    Maggie's first images is done. It's the full body new one and I've been testing some blinking. I know it looks similar to the old, but I wanted everything to be done in my new software. Hopefully I'll pick up the pace soon and start putting in some major work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jayje, Plueschkatze and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  17. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #7
    Well it's been a while since I posted. I was busy with other stuff and a vacation! It was nice getting a break and traveling somewhere fresh. I haven't done as much as would like, but progress is happening none the less. The most note-able updates are the character cards at the top. As I finish the full bodies I will replace the typed bio with a character card. Also Natalie got hair cut :D

I have 3 full bodies done of sprites, though the other angles for these are not done just the full bodies. And the other angles won't be full body, so it won't be as bad. I don't know what I'll do next, but taking things slow without a schedule has been nice, so freeing.
    I have new side characters, but I want to save those for another post. So, hope you guys like the update ^-^ .....also I will try to remember to update my tumblr at the same time O_O been forgetting.....
    Did some story typing, but not enough. I'm not really a writer...so trial and error I guess

P.s. May redo the character card info in the future. Went a little fast and I think I really messed up my sentence structures o_O. I hope it not bad, but seems off to me. Also some characters may get touch ups as time goes by. You could say I'm still very much in the early stages. ....When ever I do get close to finishing I will probably need tester to check my writting...T-T not even college fixed me of my terrible grammer and sentences.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Jayje likes this.
  18. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #8
    Getting lots of things done. Yeh

Made some updates to the top. Took out alot of the mechanics and some other concepts. I've been trying to simplify and break things down; so, that it's more managable and that way I can tighten up my concept. The biggest changes are that there will no longer be memory loss. The characters keep their memories, but I still intend to have flash backs. I beleive I took off Fright Night, but I will still have it. It's just how I go about it will probably change. Other than that, I am thinking only Maggie will recieve a spirit guide. So, instead it will be the group's guide, but Maggie is the one in charge of keeping him because he translates. Having multiple guides played to some feature ideas back when this was in VX Ace, but in VN Maker they kind of become hard to manage and unnecessary.

At the top (under characters) I have also added Penny's full body and character card. :kaopride:
    In terms of work, I've been doing several things! Been trying to get done all my full body character pieces, work on backgrounds, cards, and more! ^-^ Just trying to get alot of bulk done. I read for making a game for the first time you should play to your strengths and for me thats art, so there is going to be alot of art to be done :)

I have been working on designing a ui for the message boxes. It's based on the template in the software, in terms of button placement. Overall, its a draft version. I'm sure things will change and develop over time. -white with black text is the idle and the other is the hover. (im not happy with the rose, but whatever version I make in the future will probably be similar looking.)
    [​IMG]

Also, if anyone was interested in maybe supporting my project, I made a little support banner. You are welcome to use it if you would like. :kaoluv:
    [​IMG]

19. FoxySeta

FoxySeta Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woah why didn't I notice this thread earlier? :kaoluv:
    Your art is seriously stunning btw (glad a great title like Danganronpa is the one who inspired you)!
    Also, I like how you're making a point-and-click/puzzle game out of this.

20. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    This looks SCARY good!(see what I did there?) It would've been awesom on VXAce. Looking forward to how you do with this latest engine.