VNMaker Maggie Unto Darkness

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by animesock52, May 12, 2015.

1. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @FoxySeta Aw Thanks so much! Yeah, I don't know how much will be point and click, but I am not fond of vanilla visual novels, I got to have something else going on. It's why I like Danganronpa, it's visuals and game play make it feel so much more "active", I think.

@Jayje- Thank you. I enjoy VX Ace, but I feel the new engine fits better with the direction I am going.

I appreciate the comments. :kaoluv: I know its been a while sense i've updated on any progress.... I have stuff I could post.....I just have a bad habit of falling off the face of the earth now and then O_O :kaoswt2:

Jayje likes this.
  2. FoxySeta

FoxySeta Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whoops sorry about the point'n'click thing, I may have misinterpreted that "interact with locals" part:kaoswt2:
    Totally on the same page here:kaopride:

3. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary #9....kind of an art dump....
    I've been taking longer breaks when it comes to working on my game. I've really needed to figure out more structure and planning (I'm more of an art maker than a game maker, so there is lots I need to learn O_O). I have some art and things I can show, some side characters and things. One of these is a mock up of how I want a menu to look. It's not final, I still have to be sure its something I can manage with strictly eventing. I havn't been working directly in the software as much as I should, mainly like working on the art and things....sorry for the lack of updates :kaocry:
    In update- Side characters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Derrick info added to character section in thread
    Ui working Concepts
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Game Master official design
    [​IMG]

Concept Art
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. FoxySeta

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've made an extension for the "Contacts" menu if you need one.
    Also, I guess it must be hard to work on a project like this on your own, so let me know of you need help with eventing/scripting:kaojoy:

5. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah I planned to have several menus that look like this. For like inventory, map, etc. .... My plan was to set it up kinda like the default menus and how they use the hotspots as selections....in my head I think I know how it would work....probably would be a real lot of menu events.... :kaoback:
    I'll have to check that out. Thanks so much!

6. FoxySeta

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, since both maps and inventories are so Danganronpa-like, I wouldn't mind working on them in future.

animesock52 likes this.
  7. FoxySeta

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's me again (hope I'm not being annoying:kaoswt:)!
    I was releasing a Side-scrolling Support extension when I remembered that DR2 had something like that as well, so I'm just spamming here in case you need a way to make your character move. It's pretty useless as long as the devs don't let us use image maps attached to the scene viewport, but if you want to patch it yourself or wait for an update…

Also, would you mind using the VNM prefix in the title? I kinda wanted to add this link to my signature.

8. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @FoxySeta Do you mean the title as in the thread title, or the title on the little signature thing I made? Just wanted to be sure :kaoswt2:

I'm not too worried about side scolling. If there is one that's great, if there's not one I'm still cool with it.

9. FoxySeta

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (Sorry about that, I meant the thread title. Like, that blue list that appears if you click on "No prefix".)

Then I guess I'll wait and see if other people are interested. Just wanted to let you know:kaohi:

10. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    .....:kaoswt2:
    I've never noticed how to do that before....

FoxySeta likes this.
  11. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Small character update.
    I finished the last character in the "Main cast" I added it to the main thread! You may notice the normal character cards are missing. I am just wanting to update that information and details. You may see them just pop up one random day, I probably won't dedicate an update post to that. Some of the story description was also slightly edited to fit with how the story has been developing. I'm a "Make it as I go" kind of worker with this project.:kaoswt:
    I may make a new update soon with more of goals and desired mechanics. This may give people a better feel for how I want the game to be.

Overall, I've been on a roll with working on stuff recently and I hope to keep it going! I am even starting to use the software alot more. So, game making is a foot. :kaopride:

The last of the main character's is Luke Rider, brother to Bisop Rider. His age and some other information is being editted, so his information will be up in the near future. He is about Maggie's age, so it will be either 13 or 14.
    Full main cast
    [​IMG]

12. FoxySeta

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That blonde shota is amazing:kaoluv:

animesock52 likes this.
  13. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    NICE!

animesock52 likes this.
  14. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    oh wow What a surprise! This looks like it could have potential!!

animesock52 likes this.
  15. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update- Art and Possible Mini Demo in Future
    Yep I'm still working at it. I've been keeping up on this project more than any I have in a long time.:kaoluv:
    I don't get to work on my game as much as I would like, but I don't mind taking my time.
    It's true this is going to be a playable game, but this project is also kind of a journey of expressing myself artistically.
    I am not stressing myself over dead lines or whether or worrying about it being perfect.
    I know my method is not the most practical way to go about game making, but as someone who usually is a ball of stress the experience has been so great.
    So, this update is going to be art focused with some mechanics springled in. :kaohi:
    I have a secondary art style I've been silently working on for a long time now which will be appearing in my game in the form of cards and some system menus. I really like doing this style because it's sketcy and loose which I don't get to do often with my normal style. (In terms of wishful thinking, I would love to have an animated opening CG in this style)
    [​IMG]

I was debating making mock ups of my main game mechanic to show, but I decided I would actually try to give myself a goal instead. I would like to try to make a small demo for late October or November. It wouldn't be big, more a proof of concept sort of thing. It would focus on the game mechanic that includes the cards rather than too much story. Would maybe also like to include my phone menu if I get it done. Working on the contacts section now and it is definitly a learning experience.

The Game Mechanic
    The games main mechanic besides the visual novel aspect is a mini game I am working on. It will be first person dungeon style where you will have to move room to room to reach the end. This is where alot of scares and tesion would be. You will have three options in these "dungeons". In my mind, I logically have to think of it as if it were a board game in order for me to figure out how it would work.
    [​IMG]

I don't want to make it too complicated since I don't necessarily know how to make this, but i will definitly try my best. Overall, that is what I'm going for. I hope to have more productive updates in the future. :kaopride:

Jayje likes this.
  16. onekksu

onekksu Emin Can Homalioglu Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OMG. The artworks are just awsome! Keep it up <3

17. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @onekksu Thank you so much!

UPDATE- I am back from hiatus. I took a short break to work on IGMC, so I have another little game I am working on I don't think I will finish that project in time for the contest, but I have really enjoyed working on it. I learned some interesting things I would like to use in my main project. I've been away from my project a month so I may be slow to hop into things. Since I went and worked on the contest I havn't been working on the mock up I wanted, but I am going back into production with fresh eyes.

I added some new information and images in this update. I have some more stuff related to the minigame thing, but I'm going to hold off on that for a little while.

Things Coming-
    I have plans to adjust my background style to something a little more manageable. Perhaps flatter shading that doesn't take as long (I have plans for a large amount of locations). However, my main goal is to make all my backgrounds have consistent perspective. I want there to be characters in the background that can be clicked on to interact with. A similar example would be the "Professor Layton" games. I want the player to move from place to place in a similar manner to that and be able to click on the character to talk, instead of being automatically moved from conversation to conversation like in classic visual novels. .....I think my game is slowly transforming into a point and click style game. :kaoswt2:
    I really want the player to feel like they can move freely and take things at a pace they are comfortable with.

Features update- (I don't know if I mentioned all of these)
    Phone apps-
    Maps- This will help players when moving around these large locations.
    Cards- This will allow you to look at the cards you own.
    Contacts- (I already showed this one) Allows you to look at character information
    Objectives- This is to help give the player an idea of what they need to work on as well as a means to earn cards.
    Journal- (in debate)- A way to look at collected lore and information.
    Pictures- (in debate)- I just thought it would be odd for a phone not to have this, but I may change into some sort of trophy or achievements page.
    Mini Game- (Very in debate)- I was bored one day and made a little tomagachi looking game that could be put in the phone, but still don't know about that.
    Settings- I thought it would be cool to have collectibles and I came up with the idea you could change your main phone screens background theme.

NEW
    I am working on comic like cut scenes for my transitions and key things. I feel like the jump to a new scene in some cases just felt odd and I wanted some more movement. These are in the flat style at the moment. I think I want a mix of both my normal shading and the flat. I am hoping the combo of the two fit together since I will be making backgrounds flatter.
    The example here is of Maggie waking up and then transitioning out of bed. (Originally when you woke up it would go straight to the sprite/ character standing in the middle of the room, bed in background.) I could have done just a single panel with dialogue over, but I still find that stiff.
    Each panel appears 1 at a time. I am hoping I can use this to build suspense in some scenes like you see in horror webcomics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NEW side characters
    Butler Ender
    This is the first character introduced after falling into this world. He manages the Mansion and the needs of the guests. He is neither and enemy nor an ally in your adventure, simply a caretaker.
    [​IMG]

Dolls
    These are the maids of the mansion, like Ender they are neither enemy nor ally. Ender and the dolls are rather mysterious as they are completely separate from the games themselves. The dolls are rather creepy as they do not seem to speak or interact much with others. Though they have little effect on the overall story, in the game I want to place interesting events you can accidentally stumble across with these characters, some heart warming, some terrifying. There will be optional objectives to learn more about them I think.

[​IMG]

They live by different rules and have been around since anyone can remember. Though the Game Master will try and order these characters around they are not bound or obligated to serve him. It is believed these are like the referees of this world. These are part of what I would call "the under-story" and mystery of the world.

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  18. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Production Diary # 13? - I have emerged from my cave once again! :kaopride: I'm just going to call it "the cave" from now on when I disappear for long periods of time. I think I am always going to disappear around November through January every year.

Seems to be a trend, but that's when all the big family holidays are, work gets busy etc.. We even had a family member get married on New years eve. So, its been pretty non stop with family stuff.

I just recently got back into my drawing! Still been focusing on the art side of things. I don't think that will change at least for a little while. However, my living situation is changing which means more time to work on my game! :kaojoy: So, perhaps more work will get done, hard to say, since this is a spare time kind of project.....and I'm doing it alone. :kaoswt2:

Now to the game stuff!
    Backgrounds

I mentioned in my last update I would try and work on backgrounds more and even redo some. On that note, its going great :kaoluv: I am very pleased with how things are turning out.
    [​IMG]

Game play mock ups
    I have also been working on some "mock ups" of what I would like some of the dungeon game play to be like. So, these are not final screenshots, but its what I am going for.
    Ideas
    Face in corner- I would like this face to change and adjust throughout the scenes, I would like it to change based on fear or breath.
    Heart beat monitor- This will really depend on how easily I can add it. I wanted there to be something other than just sound to help the player known when they might need to use a calming card. However, just sound could be
    scarier.
    Text banner- This will indicate what dungeon/ challenge you are in and how far into it you are.
    Card Deck- I thought it be nice to be able to look through your cards when you want rather than only when you choose to play a card, but I am also debating that. This could mess with the pace of things.
    Overall- I would definitely like the face and banner to stay the most.
    The other image is a potential quick time like event. The idea being if the enemy does catch up to you, you have at least one chance of getting away.

[​IMG]

Cut-scenes
    I showed some of this in my last update, but I am starting to really get into now. I really like making these and even though I am setting myself up to be doing a heavy amount of art assets, its alot of fun :).
    [​IMG]

p.s. ....I don't know why there are two spoilers for game mockups, it keeps auto adding it in that spot and no amount of deleting seems to help O_O

atoms and Jayje like this.
  19. Padramyr

Padramyr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your game looks pretty cool! I'm looking forward to see more :)

atoms likes this.
  20. animesock52

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Padramyr
    Thanks so much!

Mini update:
    I am alive :kaohi:
    I keep changing things, so I thought it would be better to wait to post updates until my ideas and work is more put together. I am currently working on a map of the main area, the mansion. My first map wasn't strong enough. This new one has all the halls and door ways etc. Now my new backgrounds can flow together or at least make sense where the doors go.
    I really wish I could show the players position on the map, but I don't know how to do that right now.

I am working very slowly, but I am still working on it :kaoluv: